What's new
World Wide Stereo

Moving an input on a tv? (1 Viewer)

EricDeB

Stunt Coordinator
Hey I have a sharp flatscreen 27 inch tv, and I would like to use the composite input in the front permanently. I don't like the cable sticking out of the front, and I was wondering if it would be possible to take off the flat panel frame and run the cable just inside the frame so that it sticks out the side. Is this possible? Is it easy to take off the front panel frame? I only want to use the composite input, not the audio connectors.

Thanks a ton
Eric

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

John S

Senior HTF Member
Do-able... Maybe solicit the help of an electronics tech knowledgable friend????

I would not suggest this for anybody but qualified service personel as they say.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
No disrespect Eric, But the very fact that you have asked the question tells me there is considerable danger should you do the work.

Technically there is likely no particular problem, but without really knowing what you are doing, taking this apart and changing where the outlet goes may really cause a problem.

Besides which doing this (for sure on your own) will void the warrenty.

Kevin_Spradley

Stunt Coordinator
Let me be the one to ask the question, "Why do you want to just use the composite video permanently? Are you wanting to plugging in the composite video in the front having that cable stick out the side or modify the connection inside so that the female input sticks out the side? Depending on which route you are trying to take, the warranty may or may not be voided. If you remove any cover from the TV, the warranty will definitely be voided. Another thought, I have seen people run permanent cables under the TV and then up to the front connections. This looks pretty good, but you still have a little bit of cable sticking out then going directly under the TV. Is your TV out of inputs on the rear? If you provide the model number and the rest of your equipment, the highly knowledgable people here may be able to configure your system such that you don't need the front input. Sorry the long post, but it is late and I just got home from a Xmas party with a lot of debauchery.

Al_E

Auditioning
Eric
It's been my experience in the TV's I have taken apart that to get to the front panel requires starting at the back of the cabinet and removing screws and covers until you make it to the front. I don't know exactly how the sharp is put together but I doubt it is as easy as just taking the front off.

I too am wondering what you are trying to accomplish, don't want the composite cable routed to the front of the tv or don't want the composit jack in the front.

If the jack is being moved, I would assume, that there would have to be holes cut in the side of the cabinet. Very likely to void any warranties as previousely stated.

Be careful when working inside the cabinet, there are components inside that can hold a charge of several thousand volts.

Al E

EricDeB

Stunt Coordinator
Sorry guys, truth is I'm just lazy and I don't want to have to connect a composite cable whenever I play super nintendo or N64. I have a sharp model 27F543, but I think what you guys would need ot know is that it has component and S video inputs on the back and a composite input on the front. I think I'll just maybe put a little nail in the back of my entertainment center and hook my composite cable over that so I just have to make the easy plug in the front, because I really don't play super NES or N64 very often. Actually I just was curious as to whether it was a simple thing to do or not, and I guess it isn't.

Thanks a lot
Eric

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
It's probably not complicated.. but like Al_E said, there's some dangerous parts inside a CRT TV... even if it's unplugged.

It's funny, I have the reverse problem with mine. I wish my 27" RCA had inputs on the front. :D

I think we should trade TV's.

;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Reconbo
Recent bookmarks