What's new

Movies you like for one scene (1 Viewer)

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
WARNING SPOILERS of the movies mentioned in this thread. If you haven't seen the film that is mentioned, please do not read

There are only a handful of movies I think are lacking overall (poor films) but like them anyway because the strength of one scene.

"Peggy Sue Got Married"
I hated the performance by Nic Cage, and overall thought it was just a barely passable film. But the one scene where Peggy Sue goes back in time to her teen years and enters her bedroom is almost too much. Kathleen Turner's performance, and the music kill me every time. So sad, and wonderful, a perfect nostalgic moment I think all of us wish we could return to a happy memorable time in our life (I know I do). It is a perfect scene. And I love the movie for it. The end is quite sweet, and heartfelt as well.

What films have a great standout scene that makes it worth your while? You can also use parts of a film if it works better for you. The first 40 minutes of Full Metal Jacket for example!

Last edited:

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
I've been pondering the scenario you've laid out and while there are plenty of 'demo' type scenes that call attention to themselves, generally speaking they are in films that I enjoy to some degree. If I don't like a film, the odds of watching it enough times to develop a liking for a particular moment are pretty slim. Kind of stumped. :unsure:

- Walter.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
The title sequence of Lord of War, which follows the life of a bullet, is excellent - the rest of the film, not so much.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
I honestly can't say a single scene has made me like a movie however good that scene is. But as to your question, the first movie that came to mind was Paint Your Wagon. I don't hate it the way a lot of people do but it's a heavy handed lumbering ox of a musical cast with people who can't sing (fortunately they dubbed Jean Seberg). But when Harve Presnell comes in and sings They Call The Wind Maria, suddenly the movie comes alive and it's thrilling. When he finishes the song, it goes back to being an ox of a movie.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
The period-set prologue scenes The Haunted Mansion (2003) and Dark Shadows (2012) are both wonderful.

The movies go down hill from there.

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
I honestly can't say a single scene has made me like a movie however good that scene is. But as to your question, the first movie that came to mind was Paint Your Wagon. I don't hate it the way a lot of people do but it's a heavy handed lumbering ox of a musical cast with people who can't sing (fortunately they dubbed Jean Seberg). But when Harve Presnell comes in and sings They Call The Wind Maria, suddenly the movie comes alive and it's thrilling. When he finishes the song, it goes back to being an ox of a movie.
Those two minutes of Clint warbling "I Talk To The Trees" aren't that bad either.

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
A lot of the examples in this thread are of great scenes in otherwise mediocre movie. However, sometimes a really good movie can have "that scene". One such scene for me is the "Now youse can't leave" scene in the bar from A Bronx Tale.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
The period-set prologue scenes The Haunted Mansion (2003) and Dark Shadows (2012) are both wonderful.

The movies go down hill from there.
I can't think of anyone that thought Tim Burton's 'Dark Shadows' was a decent movie. I did though. I think it is great, and would love to see a 4K edition at some point.

mackjay

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jay
DEEP BLUE SEA (1999) for the fate of the Samuel L. Jackson character....Wow!:oops: ---the rest of the movie, meh

WAR OF THE WORLDS (2005), the first appearance of a Tripod --yikes! I still love to watch it, and the attack on the ferry boat is pretty great too. I don't hate the movie, but these scenes totally do it for me

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Finally one came to me, perhaps prompted by the mention of SPECTRE, which I like quite a bit beyond just the opening. No, I have in mind what is arguably one of the worst Bond films:

1985's A View to a Kill. Back in the day, I would pretty much always catch Bond films on the opening weekend. Went to A View to a Kill with massive expectations, it being a Bond film and all that on Saturday afternoon. I thought the opening set piece was typically excellent by Bond standards and enjoyed Duran Duran's performance of the title song. So far so good, but once we got past that I just thought the film was really bad. I always liked Moore in the Bond role, but sadly time had caught up with him and he was just a bit too old for the role, in my estimation. (He was kind of starting to show his age in the prior Bond film (Octopussy), but I thought there was a rather large drop off in his performance by the time we got to AVTAK.) I didn't find Grace Jones or Tanya Roberts very effective and thought the chemistry between Bond and May Day was completely lacking. The film was so bad that even Christopher Walken's presence could not elevate it.

I don't think I'ver watched it again, but I do recall liking the opening.

- Walter.

MitchellD

Stunt Coordinator
The scene from the 1977 film Sorcerer by director William Friedkin where they bring two big trucks over a swinging rope bridge in a hurricane. Between the haunting Tangerine Dream score and the pre-CGI visuals, it was one of the most spectacular things I have scene on film.

Moleman X

Agent
Real Name
Rob Peace
Speaking of Octopussy... Has spectacular opening and closing sequences, both involving airplanes. Makes everything in between a little more palatable.

Kent K H

Supporting Actor
Disney’s Lone Ranger was a terrible film, but for about 15 minutes towards the end, it forgot it was a dour, overlong mess embarrassed by its subject matter, and turns into a rollicking good time.

Steve Armbrust

Second Unit
This may not be quite appropriate for this thread, since it's a really good movie anyway, but I just love the opening scene in Once Upon a Time in the West with Jack Elam and the fly.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
The scene from the 1977 film Sorcerer by director William Friedkin where they bring two big trucks over a swinging rope bridge in a hurricane. Between the haunting Tangerine Dream score and the pre-CGI visuals, it was one of the most spectacular things I have scene on film.

Fantastic example. That being one of the best scenes of 70's cinema. The movie as a whole is decent, but that scene is just flat out brilliant.

sleroi

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gavin Kopp
The opening credits for Smorgasbord with Jerry Lewis trying to navigate a freshly waxed floor, with a fantastic score playing, is comic genius.

Unfortunately the entire rest of the film is beyond horrible.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
"Rat Race"

The whole sequence starting from the Barbie Museum up to and including the WW2 Vet gathering. I still find it exceedingly funny. The rest of the film was weak.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks