What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Movies that freaked you out as a kid (1 Viewer)

Michael Henry

Second Unit
Real Name
J. Michael Henry
c9b69c339c58bfea0cd504c73b2c97e7--watership-down-movie-cinema-movies.jpg

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
When I was about 5 I saw a movie on TV about giant crabs that eat people's brains, and then can talk just like them. It made absolutely no sense, and it's one of the worst movies ever made. And yet somehow it freaked me out at that age when the crab talked like the person he'd just eaten, even if it was off screen....Didn't see it for 45 years. Tried to watch some clips a couple of years ago—and it's not scary at all, and totally pathetic. Ed Wood bad. I think you have to be 5 to watch this movie....

crabapr11.jpg

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
For me it was The Flesh Eaters (1964) I stayed up and saw it on TV as a 9 year old Dinosaur freak. From the title it sounded like a dinosaur movie to me but anyone who knows the film it is Definitely not. Very graphic movie for 1964 and I certainly never saw anything like it at that time. It kept me awake all night. I have seen it twice on TV since then and its still somewhat scary to me. I have had the DVD since 2005 and still haven't watched it. I guess that says something :eek:

Attachments

• FE.jpg
    FE.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 58

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Wow, The Flesh Eaters, I remember that too from my childhood. VERY scary for the time, still creepy today.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
I saw The Flesh Eaters at the drive in many years ago. I remember the scene where some bikini babe disappeared beneath the water, meeting some horrible fate.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I saw The Flesh Eaters at the drive in many years ago. I remember the scene where some bikini babe disappeared beneath the water, meeting some horrible fate.
In these moves a girl with a bikini was kind of like the Star Trek crew member with the red shirt.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I remember being scared to death in the late 70s of a scene on TV where a dumped body came back to haunt the killers. I have searched for it for 20 years and can't find anything like it, because I distinctly remember a phrase said in the movie: "The dead dump can never die".

Google finds nothing. I'm half convinced I dreamed it! Might have been something on Chiller TV.

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
I remember being scared to death in the late 70s of a scene on TV where a dumped body came back to haunt the killers. I have searched for it for 20 years and can't find anything like it, because I distinctly remember a phrase said in the movie: "The dead dump can never die".

Google finds nothing. I'm half convinced I dreamed it! Might have been something on Chiller TV.

The first thing that popped into my mind (and creeped me out as a kid) was an early ABC Movie Of The Week, "Daughter of the Mind" with Ray Milland. All I can remember is that the girl was dead (killed?) and a grieving parent keeps seeing her...but is she REALLY dead????

Dave Miller

Supporting Actor
Someone said it earlier and I agree, this is a great thread.

I was 4 yrs old in 1972 when CBS aired a made for TV movie called "Gargoyles."

91ShudXtjtL._SY445_.jpg

I have no idea why my parents didn't send me out of the room since I was the youngest, but it they should have. I'm sure the movie was a cheese fest, but there was one scene where a Gargoyle slowly climbed out from under a bed to attack someone sleeping in the bed. It confirmed what I had thought all along to that point in my life that monsters were indeed under my bed just waiting to attack me.

Haven't really slept well since.
<_<

Wow, I just looked and the whole movie is on YouTube. I won't watch it again.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I have no idea why my parents didn't send me out of the room since I was the youngest, but it they should have.
Because it was aired on one of the major networks on TV. Everything on Network TV is "safe"/OK for anyone and it likely came on/started during the so called "Family" time frame.

Kevin Lamb

Second Unit
Real Name
Kevin Lamb
I was born in 1974 so the movies that got to me the most were those that I saw on TV in the late 70's/early 80's when I was way too young.

Kingdom of the Spiders (1977)
Halloween (1978)

Like everyone JAWS scared the crap out of me, even to the point of being afraid to swim in a freshwater lake if I couldn't see the bottom.

Also two Disney films that really freaked me out:

Watcher in the Woods (1980)
Something Wicked This Way Comes (1983)

Though I haven't seen either of those in over 30 years so I have no idea how scary they'd be for someone to watch today.

And even though I didn't watch the full miniseries until much later, as a kid I saw just the one clip from Salem's Lot of the kid floating through the window into the other kid's room and biting him and just those two minutes gave me nightmares for months.

Jonathan Perregaux

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jonathan Perregaux
I can think of two. Humanoids from the Deep and the Italian shocker City of the Living Dead. The latter has a puke scene that scared the guts out of me.

mackjay

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jay
For me it was The Flesh Eaters (1964) I stayed up and saw it on TV as a 9 year old Dinosaur freak. From the title it sounded like a dinosaur movie to me but anyone who knows the film it is Definitely not. Very graphic movie for 1964 and I certainly never saw anything like it at that time. It kept me awake all night. I have seen it twice on TV since then and its still somewhat scary to me. I have had the DVD since 2005 and still haven't watched it. I guess that says something :eek:

I saw it in 1964, dragged my mother and some younger friends. I was freaked, totally, though I had been dying to see it. Famous Monsters had a lurid cover story about this movie. Nobody I went with had anything to say about it. We saw the "complete" version with the Nazi flashback, showing the women thrown into a pool full of flesh eaters....terrifying thing to see as a kid ,and then the dead guy's body floating to show they only eat living flesh. Still kind of a horrifying movie today and rather well done for its budget and acting talent level.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Josh.1983
Recent bookmarks