What's new

Movies that freaked you out as a kid (1 Viewer)

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
What movies freaked you out as a kid? Preferably not the obvious ones.

Just re-watched Logan's Run (1976). This movie freaked the bejesus out of me when I was a kid. Especially the beginning, The Carousel sequence with their scary masks and flying in the air. I couldn't watch one second of that sequence when I was a kid.

128ade61d0c56843017ad856d4629fe8.jpg

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I wasn't really a little kid when this came out, but Frailty was one of the most unnerving films I've ever seen. The bulk of the movie was disturbing enough but the ending where
we learn that the religious fanatic father wasn't nuts, and he was right when he thought God wanted him to kill and bring brutal, Old Testament justice to His enemies
left me upset for days afterward.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
What movies freaked you out as a kid? Preferably not the obvious ones.

Just re-watched Logan's Run (1976). This movie freaked the bejesus out of me when I was a kid. Especially the beginning, The Carousel sequence with their scary masks and flying in the air. I couldn't watch one second of that sequence when I was a kid.

128ade61d0c56843017ad856d4629fe8.jpg
Well, the movie that gave me nightmares for months was...
51LYba1WwmL._SY300_.jpg
:wacko:

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory. I was 4, and had to leave the theater, because I was convinced he was killing those kids.

Today, when someone asks, I tell them it is the 2nd scariest movie ever made, behind The Exorcist.

(I did see it when I was older, maybe 12, and liked it.)

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
When I was 14 years old I saw on my local PBS station Lina Wertmuller's Seven Beauties uncut in the late 1970's. Not so much freaked out but still remembering see it and talking to my friends the next day about it. Movie has a great film score and will buy the Blu-ray for sure when it comes out.

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I was convinced he was killing those kids.

I remember another movie where masked men went inside a house and killed the entire family. I have no idea which movie it is but maybe
George Kennedy played in it. Should be a 70's movie perhaps. This movie scared me a lot.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I'm going way back into the early 1950s for my very first movie memory - Target Earth with a climax on the roof of a building where a robot is about to kill a couple of people. I was very young (4 or 5) and hid under the seat in the theater. Then, I had nightmares about it for a long time afterwards.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Two from the '50s: Invasion of the Body Snatchers; Invaders from Mars. Nightmares for years to come.
1960's Village of the Damned. Those eyes...
The Innocents (1961) with Deborah Kerr. I was eleven then. After that, I guess I was too jaded.
BTW, I saw all of them on the big screen during their original run.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
For someone my age, I have to imagine that Ben Gardner's head popping out in Jaws is a classic example.

It's probably not very scary to an adult but I remember being terrified by the recap/pre-credit sequence of Friday The 13th: The Final Chapter when I first saw it as a kid. It's just clips from the previous movies but the way it's edited together is pretty effective.

Tommy R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tommy
The morlocks from The Time Machine have given me a life-long fear of the dark. I think I was 4-ish when I saw that movie for the first time, though I never got past George going down into the underworld.

DFurr

Premium
Real Name
Don
Saw "The Blob" at the local drive-in when I was 11. Scared me! But before that at age 9 I saw "X-The Unknown". That one really scared me. In the 60's I saw all of William Castle's films. Those were "fun" horror movies, my favorite being "13 Ghosts" followed by "House on Haunted Hill".

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Well, Creature is the first movie I remember seeing but it didn't freak me out. It aroused me...Julia Adams having the soles of her feet tickled by the Creature...Oh, for those innocent days when you didn't quite understand what was happening...I was just 4...

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
The year was 1973, I was 7 years old, and a tv movie scared me terribly. I had recurring nightmares of a scene where a man is pulled up the mast of a ship and struck to death by lightning. It had only been a few years ago that I found out that this tv-movie was called Frankenstein - The True Story. Available on DVD. I bought it, but still haven't watched it.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Two things come to mind:

I saw Ghostbusters when I was in single digits. Remember the scene when the ghosts all get out and Slimer is a cab driver? I had nightmares that Slimer was driving me over a bridge that terrified me as a kid.

When I first saw 2001, if I woke up in the middle of the night to use the bathroom, I'd worry that Bowman (slightly aged, freaked and in his spacesuit) and his pod would be in my bathroom. And the first time I tried watching 2010, I had to stop when John Lithgow and the Russian engineer board the inactive Discovery, take off their masks, and smell something rotting. Stopped it right there and couldn't finish it for like a year.

sidburyjr

Second Unit
Real Name
Dick Sidbury
The Invisible Ray <http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0027800/?ref_=nv_sr_7> with Karloff and Lugosi. A meteor from space causes Karloff to glow in the dark and when he touches someone they die instantly. Chaos ensues. And I had bad dreams about it for several months. IIRC I was 10 or 11 years old when I saw it. I snatched it up on DVD in "The Lugosi Collection" which is apparently now out of print.s

sleroi

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gavin Kopp
When the Amityville Horror made its network television debut, the opening music with the childrens chorus freaked me out. I was fine with the rest of the movie, but the sinister, foreboding choral kept playing in my head and gave me the heebie jeebies whenever I tried to go to sleep for weeks.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks