What's new

Movies that are better the 2nd time. (1 Viewer)

John^Lal

Stunt Coordinator
Lord of the Rings both Fellowship and Two Towers. everyone that i know who had read the books before they had seen the movies (recently enough so that a vivid memory still lingered) have liked them more after each consecutive viewing. Every time i see them, i like them more and more.

jimbo w

Stunt Coordinator
O Brother Where Art Thou-liked it at first viewing, one of my favorites now

Pulp Fiction

Fellowship of the Ring

Usual Suspects

Monty Python and the Holy Grail-LOL

Seems to hold true that good movies get better

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
Another one for me would have to be Mulholland Drive as well as most other Lynch stuff.

BarryS

Second Unit
Several people have named Unbreakable, and I definitely agree. I saw Unbreakable the first time back in 2001 and really didn't like it. However, last fall not long after Signs came out on DVD, I revisited it and loved it. I bought the DVD not long after. I enjoy Shyamalan's bravura filmmaking far more than the story he's telling. Very good film.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
there have been others for sure ( Blade Runner, definitely) but the first one i thought of when i saw the title of the thread was X-men.

because the movie is so focused on its characters (the characters drive the plot as opposed to being interchangeable eye-candy stumbling from one set-piece to the next), i find it enormously re-watchable.

after 7 or 8 times now, i still find myself emotionally invested in the characters lives and dilemnas.

thats what i think makes the ending ( which seemed pretty routine to me, also, the first time) more intense the more i see it.

Brad Hood

Agent
Mars Attacks!

I'm not sure what I was expecting the first time, but not camp. Second viewing with differnet expectations; much better.

Brad

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter
I do have to agree, good and great movies do get better with multiple viewings. I can't count the amount of times I have seen Tombstone and it just keeps getting better. Same with LOTR Fellowship and TTT. Each time I watch them I appreciate something new.

Other ones that I want to add o the list are

Fargo

O Brother Where Art Thou

Unbreakable. In fact with Unbreakable I didn't even like it the first time I saw it. Now I can watch it over and over again and love it. It is my favorite Shyamalan movie.

Chris Atkins

Senior HTF Member
The two biggies that come to mind (in order):

1. SPIDER-MAN

Hated this movie the first time...thought it was boring, sappy and a re-tread of the great comic book movies (particularly when Peter Parker runs through Times Square and reveals the "S" on his chest, a la Superman).

Saw it for $9.99 used in Blockbuster and decided to give it another chance...loved it in my home theater. A perfect homage to one of the great comic book heroes.

2. FELLOWSHIP OF THE RING

Thought it was average at best the first time I saw it, with some good moments. I have liked it more with each additional viewing, and I think the Extended Edition is really good. Still don't think these are among the cinematic greats of all time, but entertaining nonetheless.

Interestingly, I had the same reaction to THE TWO TOWERS, and I know there were a few more people with similar reactions.

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter
LOTR Fellowship Extended Edition adds so much more to the movie. I do think it is one of the greatest epic films of all time, I can't wait for TTT Extended Edition.

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
X2 flowed better and seemed a bit shorter (for the better) the second time around. I can't wait for the DVD!

ErichH

Screenwriter
All Kubrick Movies need a second or 3rd pass (for me)

Just a general rule - I can never slow myself down enough to get into Stanley's pace, first time. Once I do it's good.

Eric

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Fargo

O Brother Where Art Thou
You know, I quit OBWAT 15 minutes into it and could never work up the courage to pick it up again. I guess I should have known better, since I had the same reaction with Fargo a couple of years ago, and when I finally rented it again, I found it brilliant.

I really don't like comedies, especially the slap stick kind. I hopes it's more than that.

--

Holadem

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter
I really don't like comedies, especially the slap stick kind I hope it's more than that.
It definately is not the slapstick type. It's just different like all the other Coen Brother movies. I did not like any of their movies the first time I watched them but now, like you said, they are all brilliant. The Coen brother movies definately rank at the top of a lot better the second time around. There the type of movies that I can watch over and over again.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Man who resurrected this thread? :)
This was my initial list...
- X-Men
- The Prince Of Egypt
- Hook
- Rugrats In Paris
- The Lost World (JP)
- Men In Black
- Gladiator
and I am adding Final Fantasy to that list.

JeffLl

Agent
I saw a few mentions but I have to reaffirm FIGHT CLUB. That movie gets better each time! I also agree with Jerseys and Sixth Sense. Didn't see this mentioned but definently throw in PULP FICTION. It was neat to be able to focus on sequencing rather than straight plot.

JeffLl

Agent
Oops...my bad..I see Pulp Fiction was there already. I didn't even think about Vanilla Sky, good pick!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks