What's new

Movies that are better the 2nd time. (1 Viewer)

Chris

Senior HTF Member
I'll concur on Brain Candy. I thought it was "OK" the first time around; but the more I've seen it, the more it became one of my comic favs..
"Um.... right."
CW

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter
I'm surprised no one mentioned Blade Runner yet.
I hated the movie the first time I saw it, and the only reason I saw the whole thing was I was about 40 miles from home, and someone else drove.
A couple years later, I was wondering about it, and conveniently, the limited release of the Director's Cut was just starting, so I popped off to see it. Rather a different film, that.
Leo Kerr
[email protected]

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter
This is another one of mine. When I saw it the first time, I was like this is okay but not that excited about it. Now I have watched this movie so many times that I cant even count anymore and it is on my top ten list of best movies of all time. Tombstone.The performances in that movie by all actors especially Val Kilmer were some of the best I have seen. I am begging for a special edition of thid movie on dvd.
------------------
"I'm your Huckelberry"

Matthew Chmiel

Senior HTF Member
A.I., Fight Club, Seven, and The Usual Suspects all come to mind.
------------------
mynewsig.jpg

Link Removed - DVD Reviewer
Link Removed / AOL IM: MrMatthew / ICQ: 96444542
"I'm a firm believer in the philosophy of a ruling class. Especially since I rule."

Tom-G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
Having any film "get better" is impossible. A film is what it is regardless of how many times one watches it. I'm assuming you mean which films do you like more the second time around? Sometimes it takes more than one viewing for me to "get" the film.
Most Stanley Kubrick films fall into this category for me. This is attributable to the fact that his films are very deep and artistic and it takes time for the themes in his movies to really sink in. Or, maybe I'm just not intelligent enough to "get" it the first time.
biggrin.gif
I can only think of Paths of Glory as his one film that hit me the right way after the first screening and I liked just as much in subsequent screenings.
Other films that I've enjoyed much more the second time around:
  • Zardoz
  • Fight Club
  • A.I.
  • Heat
  • Braveheart
  • Brazil
  • Magnolia
[Edited last by Tom_G on September 22, 2001 at 09:01 PM]

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member
Easily, the one that is first on that list is Any Given Sunday. When it first came out (on DVD), it was weeks before I even rented it. I knew it was a Oliver Stone film and that is what ultimately put me over the top to see it, but I also knew it had LL Cool J and Jamie Foxx in it and if there is one thing I detest, it's rap stars in films. But, being a Stone film, I caved. After it was over, I thought...hmmm, ok, that's that and didn't really give it a second thought. As time went on, I'd catch a few scenes on HBO and that hooked me. I popped the DVD in again and to this day, it's one of my favorite films. To me, it's a completely different film everytime you choose a new characters perspective to see it from.
Bruce
------------------
mstprev.gif

Welcome aboard the Satellite of Love

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I'm not going to list the movies that I thought got better and better, but I'll say a few things.
The movies that get better are comedies and trick endings. Some action movies get better, but usually you know all of the action that takes place, so there's nothing left to the film besides the generally crap storyline. Some movies get better because of little things that are hidden in them, like the previously mentioned Final Fantasy. I saw it twice and got it all the second time through. Knowing the story thoroughly made it better, but I already liked it a lot after the first time. Some movies, like Memento, are better the second time through because you know what happens and can piece it together as you watch it so that you get a better idea of what happened. A lot of movies will often have little details, like an expression a person makes at one scene, that can make the movie feel more realistic, and picking up on those things can make a movie seem better, also.
I can't really name films that got better the second time around because I like to think of movies as "worth watching again" or "not worth it." If a movie is good the first time, it can get better or worse. If a movie is bad, I'll probably never find out.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Movies I enjoyed bette the second time include...
- X-Men
- The Prince Of Egypt
- Hook
- Rugrats In Paris
- The Lost World (JP)
- Men In Black
- Gladiator
orangeman
------------------
Link Removed

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
Gladiator is a film that I thought was okay when I first saw it. I went back to see it again, and really enjoyed it. I still don't think that its "best picture" material (is it really in the same class as Schindler's List or Amadeus?).
Neil
------------------
patriot.gif

"Conspiracy theorists don't live on the same flat Earth as the rest of us." -- astronomer Stephen Maran

Todd Phillips

Second Unit
The Holy Grail
I don't think it's possible to comprehend the sillyness the first time you watch it. Thereafter you can get giddy with anticipation just waiting for your favorite lines.
------------------
Todd Phillips

David Dennison

Second Unit
I was thinking the Holy Grail also as I read this post. I thought it was pretty stupid the first time I saw, and now I roll on the floor laughing.
My other vote would be Fargo. I thought it was okay the first time, but now it is probably one of my all time favorites.

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter
I just wanted to say that I agree with a couple of other choices you guys have made. Fargo was not that great the first time I saw it, but after the second viewing,I loved it. And have watched it many times since. Another person said Any Given Sunday. And the first time I saw it we actually walked out of the theater on it. Thats how bad I thought it was. And then I caught some of it on HBO not too long ago, so I decided to sit down and watch the entire movie and really enjoyed it. I think it is a real good movie and want to buy it on dvd now.
------------------
"I'm your Huckelberry"

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
Pretty much any movie directed by Martin Scorsese or Stanley Kubrick!
This is a great reason to own most of the movies directed by these great directors on DVD. They are movies you WANT to watch repeatedly!
I also agree with Unbreakable!

Keith_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kyle
Several recent and older films fall into this category for me:
Gladiator
The Abyss
Lethal Weapon
Terminator 2

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
The Usual Suspects
- Confused the hell out of me the first time (who, what, where, slowdown..., what's that guys name again, those sort of issues). After second viewing, it all made sense.
Fight Club
- cool the first time around, better the next time.
I'll think of more later, since there's T.V. to watch.
------------------
"I don't know, Marge. Trying is the first step towards failure." - Homer J. Simpson
My DVD Collection

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Gladiator is a film that I thought was okay when I first saw it. I went back to see it again, and really enjoyed it. I still don't think that its "best picture" material (is it really in the same class as Schindler's List or Amadeus?).
It doesn't need to be, it just needs to be better than everything else that came out that year. I think it was better than most of the other films that came out last year and it was at a more "oscar" calibre. I didn't see every film from last year, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks