What's new

Movies that are better the 2nd time. (1 Viewer)

Dalton

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dalton
There are many for me but here were the first 2 i thought of:
LOTR:FOTR
The Big Lebowski
I have seen both films many times. The Big Lebowski is my favorite Coen Brothers film. The Dude rules man.

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member
LOTR: TTT. I liked it a lot better after I had accepted the sometimes-ridiculous deviations from the book. A lot better the 2nd time.

RexW

Stunt Coordinator
Have to say "A League of Their Own" for me.

Saw it the first time with friends in the theater and we weren't impressed at all. We all got together and watched it again on video (yes those pre-DVD days) and we were laughing our arses off. So much we missed the first time.

Roby Adams

Stunt Coordinator
There is a name for this:
http://www.everything2.com/index.pl?...node_id=915636
The Big Lebowski Phenomenon
(idea) by MrTang (4.6 mon) (print) ? 1 C! Thu Jan 18 2001 at 6:33:32
The peculiar experience of seeing/hearing/reading/experiencing something for the first time, and being relatively unimpressed by said thing. Then, when said thing is revisited on multiple successive occasions, it increasingly grows in one's estimation.
There are those who claim that the true Big Lebowski Phenomenon can only be attained when said thing is ultimately counted among the stratosphere of one's favorite things. Although the occurances of such a Utopian Big Lebowski Moment are admittedly few and far between, the satisfaction is said to be exponentially greater.
The Big Lebowski Phenomenon derives its name from the eponymous Coen Brothers film. Many exited the theatre, having seen it for the first time, feeling distinctly underwhelmed; the critical response tended to match this feeling. However, on repeated viewings, especially on video, these same masses have noted that it mysteriously seems to get better and better. The experience became widespread enough that the film's title was forever attached to the phenonmenon.
Not that while the BLP is often used in reference to cinema, its applicable uses extend far beyond film stock. Also note that the BLP is a peculiarly individual occurence.

Louis C

Supporting Actor
These all left a better impression when I saw them again years later:

Unforgiven

A Fish Called Wanda

Ferris Bueller's Day Off

As Good as it Gets

Liar Liar

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks