What's new

Movie soundtracks (3 Viewers)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Thought I’d post about the 1960 score for George Pal’s production of H.G. Welles The Time Machine.

I tried to do a search, but didn’t find anything. Tow or three years ago I picked up the GNP Crescendo release of The Time Machine score, but it turns out it is a re-recording done in 1987. But it was conducted by the original composer Russell Garcia. Then almost right away, I discovered from Film Score Monthly the release of the actual film score recording that came out in 2005 so I have both copies.

I guess I’m posting because I’m having one of those obsessed periods of listening. I’m only listening to the actual theatrical score from 1960. I’ve sampled some of the 1987 recording. But I always prefer the original when I can get it. They are both in my iPhone and a piece of melody from the score popped in my head out of the blue so i’ve been listening while at work. I’ll have to listen on the home system, especially the newer recording as I bet it’s better in terms of range. But I could be wrong. What could be Interesting are more embellished versions of the Philby theme which isn’t very long on the original and the Weena love theme. But I still prefer the originals.

What’s got me also fascinated is that GNP was pretty busy doing scores for films that didn’t have any releases at the time including Vertigo. Then later, the original recording was released too. I have both of those too.

I don’t know if there’s more to say, just having some fun and maybe because it’s almost the holidays and I usually watch The Time Machine this time of year, so maybe that was why it was on my subconscious mind. :)

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
I'm normally a sucker for musicals; but this year is an oddity in one way. I LOVE the soundtrack to "The Greatest Showman" but the film never really rises to as great as the soundtrack is. The film is "OK" to "good" but it falters a lot, and it saved by great song numbers, which sometimes are not really in place. But you don't really care because they are damn good. Oddity.

Real Name
Shane Harger
I don't necessarily have a favorite soundtrack composer, but my favorite film soundtracks I own are:

The Last Samurai (CD)
Dances with Wolves (CD)
Chicago (multi-channel SACD)
O Brother Where Art Thou (SACD)
Glory (vinyl)
Little Shop of Horrors (vinyl)
Grease (vinyl)

Real Name
Shane Harger
Forgot to include my favorite one!

1777_foto1_product_groot.jpg

Some of the tracks on here are among my favorite works by Yo-Yo Ma. Great film, too!

Museum Pieces

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Skylar
I have collected all my favorite John Williams cuts on one playlist. I'm listening to them right now and can't help recall what Spielberg said when Williams received the Lifetime Achievement Award from the AFI.

"Without John Williams: Bikes don't really fly. Nor do brooms in quidditch matches. Nor do men in red capes. There is no Force. Dinosaurs do not walk the earth. We do not wonder. We do not weep. We do not believe."

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I have collected all my favorite John Williams cuts on one playlist. I'm listening to them right now and can't help recall what Spielberg said when Williams received the Lifetime Achievement Award from the AFI.

"Without John Williams: Bikes don't really fly. Nor do brooms in quidditch matches. Nor do men in red capes. There is no Force. Dinosaurs do not walk the earth. We do not wonder. We do not weep. We do not believe."
You could probably say it about many of Williams' compositions but I wonder what it was like for those involved to hear the Superman theme performed for the first time. Even Williams must have had a "Wow!" moment when it went from what he heard in his mind to having it come alive with an orchestra.

Museum Pieces

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Skylar
Even Williams must have had a "Wow!" moment when it went from what he heard in his mind to having it come alive with an orchestra.
I still have a "Wow!" moment when I hear it. I had a "Wow!" moment last night listening to Jurassic Park and watching this cool video.

He did another great one on Star Wars.

usrunnr

Writer
Real Name
usrunnr
I'm partial to all of Nino Rota's output, though especially "8-1/2", "Juliet of the Spirits", and "La Dolce Vita".

As others have mentioned, James Horner's work is outstanding. I like "willow" among others.

"Lawrence of Arabia"
"Dr. Zhivago"

More to come as memory refreshes.

"Ben Hur"
"Cleopatra"
"Blade Runner"
"Alien" Composer original recordings

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk

Museum Pieces

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Skylar
I missed the great 3-disc release when it came out and now it is prohibitively expensive, so imagine my delight when I got the new Blu-ray of Breakdown. It's magnificent. For one thing it has an isolated music score. So I ripped the music from the isolated track, edited out the silent gaps between the cues, and created a soundtrack CD of Breakdown. It's complete and sequential. I love it. It runs 65:17. Far more music than I thought. I'm so grateful for this Blu-ray with the special features, but especially to finally have the Basil Poledouris score as precisely heard in the movie!

53f06400dcfae7b51a724fc1890e13c2.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks