What's new

Motion handling advices (1 Viewer)

Slappyboy

Auditioning
Real Name
Sebastien
Good morning, night or afternoon (not sure where you are) :)

I'm in Ireland (under the rain) and I've read good things about this forum so I decided to join it to share some of my experiences and also to get some advices if possible.

Hopefully I'm in the right section, if not, moderator, please move me and I'll note it! ;)

Long story short, this is my current setup:

Benq W1070+
120 16:9 inches screen (not the best quality best sure it works)
Onkyo TX-NR636
Advanced Acoustic 5.1 speakers
2 in-ceiling speakers
The setup is Atmos 5.1.2

The sound is good, based on my room which is 4.8 m x 3.6 m.
Now the image quality is also good, however, the motion tend to be hard to follow on such a big screen.

I was looking at different options:

Use a computer to play DVD, Blu Ray and other video files using Smooth Video Project. Been there, done that.
Results: Image quality is smooth during fast actions scenes, some artifacts can be noticeable which is not great and it only works for movies. (Bug fan of Netflix)

Upgrade the video-projector for a model such as Epson EH-TW6700 which includes frame interpolation regardless of the source. Sounds good.

Use a mid - high end blu ray player such as Panasonic DMP-UB900 that includes video streaming like Netflix but I'm not sure if it does improve the motion handling.

My budget will be limited, like for each of us by the one thing that conditions most of the improvements in a Home Theater, either in terms of Audio or Video, decoration, hardware software...etc => My wife...

So the best option will tend to be the most affordable one, that being said, I'd like to go for something durable so I might also wait and invest later.

That's it folks. I'm just curious to see if some of you have the same challenges as I've been on the web and couldn't really find answers. Either watching movies and series on a 120 inches screen at 24 fps doesn't bother people in general or it's just me.

I wish you all a great day !

Thanks in advance.

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
Hi Sebastien,

24FPS content is going to look a bit juddery when in high speed action sequences, unfortunately there isn't much to be done about that, it's the director's intent.

Frame interpolation works for some people, but for me it looks absolutely awful. To each their own.

I would suggest you look at Sony projectors if you want best in class motion processing, nobody else can touch them right now IMO.

Slappyboy

Auditioning
Real Name
Sebastien
Hi Sebastien,

24FPS content is going to look a bit juddery when in high speed action sequences, unfortunately there isn't much to be done about that, it's the director's intent.

Frame interpolation works for some people, but for me it looks absolutely awful. To each their own.

I would suggest you look at Sony projectors if you want best in class motion processing, nobody else can touch them right now IMO.
Hi Dave,

Thanks very much for your reply!

I did a bit of research on Sony's projector and the VPL-HW45 seems to be good. I guess I'll compare a bit more and see.

Thanks a million !

Regards,
Sebastien

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks