What's new

TV decision - Got it narrowed down here: (1 Viewer)

jacampb

Auditioning
Real Name
Joshua
Well, lemme start of by saying the battle is:

Samsung LN55c650 vs Panny P54g25

So, here's what it will be used for:

I like to watch about a movie every other day, will be blue ray, but now is DVD w/ upscaling player (which I may not use depending on the TV).

Also, occasionally I go into gaming modes (depending on what 360 game has been recently released). I go months without playing anything but a few rounds of call of duty, and then mass effect 2 comes out and I probably play 5 hours a day or so. I'm not only getting a new TV, though, I'm also getting a gamer roommate who has been deprived of video games for a year or two, and I'm a little bit worried he's gonna explode all over my new TV (esp. if he's gaming 24/7 on my plasma).

Here's why I want the TVs respectively:

The Panny plasma

Pros: is going to have better contrast and motion. Watching LCDs and LED-LCDs at the store, I always find myself migrating to the Panny plasmas because they just look so darn good. Something about those LCDs is never quick enough or something, I always feel like I'm a bit too close. That and the panny contrast on the g models is supposed to just be infinite.

Cons (the last of which I know little about): I'm always going to have to baby it to avoid IR and burn in. I don't mind doing this, I like caring for my things. But I'm not always gonna be able to keep an eye on my roommate. I'm a little obsessive compulsive and I'd rather not have to worry about this all the time. Also there is the diminishing black level issue. Don't really know if I'll be enough of a videophile to notice it, but the wicked contrast is one of the two major players in my wanting this TV. Finally the one I don't understand - it doesn't properly handle 24p b/c it's 60Hz. Don't know how this will really affect me, any advice would be had.

The Samsung LCD::

Pros: Apparently the color, clarity, depth and contrast are wicked on this TV. LCDTVBUYINGGUIDE.COM gives just ridiculous praise to this TV all over the place, and as they say in their review, this is uncommon (why I like their reviews). Actually, PCMAG.COM, another reviewer that I really like says this TV rated the same in contrast to the Panny g-series! Don't know if I believe that...

This is an LCD, so I can back off the burn in patrol. There will be no fade in black (I'm currently under the assumption that the faded black of the panny will probably end up being about the same as this LCD's black).

Finally, it handles 24p natively (120Hz).

Cons: Like I said, something about watching those LCDs at best buy feels all digital, though granted I haven't looked at this particular one. Lookin' at a panny plasma feels like reality. Motion and contrast (at least initially) will always be worse on this TV.

So, there it is. Don't know how big of a deal IR and black fade are on the Panny. Don't know whether to trust that contrast is gonna be Kuro-esque on the Sammy. Don't know whether I can get used to LCD motion. Finally, I barely even know what 24p means!

Thanks guys

Josh

Bob Graz

Supporting Actor
Josh,

I've had a 50in 720p Panny Plasma for 2+ years now and it still wows me every time I turn it on. I've had no problem with screen burn and I haven't seen noticeable decrease in contrast/black levels. It's one of the most satisfying purchases I've made. I did make sure when I first bought it that I used stretch mode on 4:3 to wear the phosphors evenly. I also used a set up disc to set basic picture settings. I wouldn't say I babied it and I certainly didn't stress over it. Plasma continues to be my preference for overall picture quality, no issue with motion blur and overall value given the quality and cost.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Burn-in isn't a practical problem anymore for plasma, from my research and experience. I bought a plasma almost two years ago; the broad consensus was burnin wasn't a problem unless you're abusing the tv. And now 18 months later, playing a mix of full screen, video games, letter box and window box material, there's no hint of burnin on my plasma.

Also, my plasma has a 24p mode. I bet the Panasonic does too; check to make sure.

bob259

Auditioning
Real Name
Bob
The problem I have, or had, with my Toshiba Plasma (Panasonic panel I am told) is after 18 months I now have a 3" long black area that goes 1/2 way down the screen and Toshiba said it happens and didn't cover it. It is now getting very annoying and I'm looking for a new set and will not include a Plasma. I don't care what it is, a piece of equipment at these prices should last longer then 18 months all my old tube type TV's lasted years with no problems.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
That stinks, and I'd be upset if that happened to my TV. But it sounds like an unusual hardware defect; not what is normally meant by "burn in" or "image retention". And whatever happened may well be just as (un)likely to happen with an LCD, if it's related to the control electronics and not the plasma display per se.

bob259

Auditioning
Real Name
Bob
Originally Posted by DaveF

That stinks, and I'd be upset if that happened to my TV. But it sounds like an unusual hardware defect; not what is normally meant by "burn in" or "image retention". And whatever happened may well be just as (un)likely to happen with an LCD, if it's related to the control electronics and not the plasma display per se.

Yes your correct it's not burn in related. Per the service tech, from the store I bought it, the problen was defintely panel related and not electronics related. They seemed to indicate they see it quite often, that said I'm the only one I know of that has had this problem :-( but because if it and the response I received I'll never purchase another Toshiba product, nor will I purchase from that same store again. I'll choose to spend my hard earned money where they take care of you after the sale and if a problem develops.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks