What's new

most brutal violence (1 Viewer)

Anthony*B

Stunt Coordinator
keep in mind that CH was shot in the jungles of south America around 1978 or so...it's hard telling what you'd find there at that point...

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
We should also remember Herzog filmed a few films out in the jungle with Kinski and (according to rumor) the natives were willing to kill him. :D

chris winters

Second Unit
how did they shoot the "cannibals". Were they actors, or actual primitives? Did they have speaking parts? If they were primitives, how did they explain the idea that they were shooting a movie, including all the fake violence etc...If the natives were actually dangerious, then how in the world did they get out without any harm done to them?

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I saw some photos of this stake scene, and it didn't really convince me that it was real. Yeah the way the throat is swollen is definately good, but in the photos I saw, the top of the pole doesn't match the bottom, it's shifted over a little. A wood pole of that diameter wouldn't flex, so I would think it would be 2 pieces. Also, what is the odds of a body actually staying in one piece? with a pole that large being forced though the mouth to the bottom, or reverse (up and out)? How did they get it through without it coming out her side or something?

Maybe it's more convincing in the movie, I don't know, like I said, I've only seen stills. (and a couple at that.)

I would love to buy this legit in Canada. I would order it in, but I'm not wholly convinced this wouldn't have customs issues, if the Banned hype is real.

chris winters

Second Unit
you can download some clips on the offical website. You need realplayer, but you can get an idea of what is being shown in the movie. No fee to pay. www.cannibalholicaust.net just dont eat lunch before viewing, and double check if you really want to view the stuff.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
"If they were primitives, how did they explain the idea that they were shooting a movie"

Actually theres lots of examples of using "real primitives" in films.

Mike~Sileck

Supporting Actor
I ordered Cannibal Holocaust on dvd yesterday from someone on ebay. It was the NTSC Region 1 uncut version listed on that dvd website someone listed earlier here.

I dunno how to say I feel about it .. excited seems wrong to say .. maybe I'm intrigued ? nevertheless, I will pop it in as soon as it arrives and share my thoughts.

Thanks for the wealth of information provided here, you guys truly are astounding with your amount of knowledge.

Mike

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
The best way to spot a fake cannibal in these films are:

1. White guy just covered in mud.
2. He's wearing Nike shoes.
3. He's smoking a Marlboro cigarette.

However, after viewing these films you guys might want to take your next vacation with them. When you arrive at the cannibal camp, as long as they don't eat you you'll probably get to sleep with the top female cannibal who is ALWAYS very beautiful and always ready for action.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
According to the director, they were real. I'm not sure of too much else though. I'm sure the bigger, talking parts were played by actors.

Aaron Thorne

Stunt Coordinator
Edward Norton's character makes a guy lay face down in the street with his mouth wide open and teeth on the curb. Then he stomps down on of the guy's head. It's a very brutal scene.

Anthony*B

Stunt Coordinator
hey Aaron, you may wanna edit your post to put a spoiler tag on it :) ... we (the wife & I) just watched American History X this weekend...she let out a yelp the likes of which I've never heard during the "curbing" scene...it was truly horrible, but what a superb movie, Ed Norton was utterly convincing in my opinion, as were most of the cast (though Avery Brooks' oddly mannered speech patterns have always annoyed me ever since Deep Space 9)

MichaelElliot says:
However, after viewing these films you guys might want to take your next vacation with them. When you arrive at the cannibal camp, as long as they don't eat you you'll probably get to sleep with the top female cannibal who is ALWAYS very beautiful and always ready for action.

also, dont get too attached to her as she will inevitably have her insides scooped & her empty torso filled w/ hot rocks after helping you escape later :) MeMe Lai is a goddess :) hehe

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I found a double feature disc from Anchor Bay of "Mountain of the Cannibal God" paired with "Cannibal Man". Now from what's been said in this thread, Mountain sounds pretty good, but ahs anyone seen "Cannibal Man" I'd be willing to pick it up if it's half decent, but the disc is rather pricey and my cheapness out ways my desires to get into the Cannibal Genre.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Russell, I picked up that disc at Borders for $12.

Amazon has it as low as $7

Justin_S

Senior HTF Member
I think Cannibal Man is far better than Mountain of the Cannibal God, which I'm really not all that fond of. They are two totally different films though, with the only similarity being the word, cannibal, in each title.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
What's amazing about the curb scene is that outside of the setup, IIRC, nothing else is really shown, the actual stomping happens off screen. Of course, you get to hear in glorious DD5.1. Ugh.

What sick bastard came up that idea anyway?

--
H

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks