What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

More computer trouble (1 Viewer)

Chad Isaacs

Supporting Actor
As I said in a previous post I got a computer for free. For my needs it will be just fine however, its kind of ill right now. I ran the system restore disk and it through my own error ended up wiping out windows as disk 2 was missing.Will I have to purchase the disks from H.P or can I just put a new windows on and for that matter can I just piggy back it to another hard drive and "share" the files from it onto my hard drive then reinstall the hard drive into my computer? I doubt it would work but I had to ask.

Thanks!

Mike_J_Potter

Second Unit

The piggybacking files most likely won't work, since even if you get it installed you'll run into problems activating it if your windows xp. Pre windows 2000 os's may let you get away with it but your far better off booting off a cd and reformatting the thing. As for the cds I am assuming you have the product key for whatever version of windows you had on it right, its typically on the side of the case. If you do then pick whatever is cheaper to buy. If you have no number then you'll have to buy a new windows cd and license. Also you will have to go and track down all the drivers while your at it if you get a new windows cd. Consider this a great and fun way to learn more about pcs.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
this is usually the most pain-in-the-ass part of reformatting a pc. however, it sounds like you have a hp...so you may be in luck. the hp.com site has a great section for downloading drivers for their pc's. make sure you check it out carefully.

so, if i were you, i'd do this.

1. format hd
2. install clean copy of windows
3. install all the drivers

i like this best because then you know *exactly* what is on your pc. it'll run faster then if you install all the crap that comes on a restore cd anyway.

Chad Isaacs

Supporting Actor
Ted, the only problem with that is I have no idea where to begin. I don't know what goes where or why it needs to be there.

Mike, The disks were just laying on his desk, no cases or anything. I will probably just have to order a new pack or somthing.

Mike_J_Potter

Second Unit
You

Agreed I always try to do clean installs on everything, 90% of the stuff they put on there is useless or just a trial version.

Chad Isaacs

Supporting Actor
Cool, thanks Mike. I will look into that. Any idea what the disks would cost? I am just comparing prices that vs a new os all together. It had win me on it. I like 2000 better than any of them. Its what I use at work and never have any trouble out of it.

If I download everything from the site, is that free or is their a fee?

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
chad, what model hp computer do you have? like mike said, you may (or may not) have to pay for the cd's/drivers. it just depends. usually the cd's are about 10 bucks...but it just depends.

forget win me...it's a terrible os. if you have 2k, that'll do fine.

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
If those needs don't include the latest games, now might be a good time to try Linux. There are even distributions now that boot entirely off a CD. So you can get a good idea of how well it will work on your system, and if you like it, you can install it on your hard drive (where it will boot faster and be more configurable).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yashavi46
Recent bookmarks