What's new

Microsoft To Bundle "King Kong" w/ Xbox 360 HD-DVD player! (1 Viewer)

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
No, I'm referring to the many posters and owners (myself included) who never have seen those "many" at all.

Of the few instances reported, cleaning or interchanging the discs often helped, some of the problems went away after updating the firmware and several others were not confirmed by users of the same releases as the reported glitch and thus stayed badly documented.
Only a few reports remained.

But, as I said: the great majority of users of the HD-A1 are extremely satisfied with their player, to the point they advise *everyone* to buy one if they can.

Although I read a few reports here and on AVS of buyers who returned their Samsung BD-player (although I also read reports of several happy users), I didn't read any of someone returning their Toshiba. I'm pretty sure I may have missed one or two, but the statistics are telling.

"Many issues with audio sync and disc freezes" simply are not there. And the price is fantastic. I'm sure, for that same price, the PS3 may not do BD as exceptionally as the Toshiba does HD DVD (and SD DVD).

Cees

Rob_Walton

Second Unit
That's not what I've been reading on AVS for the last 7 months. Many people have reported freeze-ups, lip sych issues, and the slow response/load times. Some have been fixed by firmware upgrades, while others have been brought on by those very same upgrades. There have been any number of folks who have sent their players off to get them fixed by Toshiba. Most, however, are early adopters and are willing to live with the issues. I wonder if a more mainstream consumer would be as forgiving.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
That depends on what you want to read. Read some of the opinions on this forum too (and there are some reports about glitches too, so it's not extremely biased :) ).

And yes, 7 months! That's indeed how long you can already read about HD DVD experiences.

Cees

Nickrh

Grip
Real Name
Nick H
Well I decided to buy an HD-A1 yesterday and boy am i glad i did! The lossless audio makes a huge diffrence for me, The added quality completly brings the movie to life and i could not imagine having HD-DVD without it. I enjoy the lossless audio as much if not more then the HD video.

Nickrh

Grip
Real Name
Nick H
By the way ive yet to have any problems **knocks on wood**
htf_images_smilies_banana.gif

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
:emoji_thumbsup:
Congratulations, Nick!

And welcome to the HR club! Please post your experiences with this machine in the sticky thread in the HD DVD-players Owners forum!
Which films did you try for a first viewing?

Cees

Nickrh

Grip
Real Name
Nick H
Thanks Cees! Batman Begins and The Fast And The Furious :) I will go check out that thread, Sorry if i highjacked this one a bit.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
:)

Batman Begins is on its way to my house, but because it was out-of-stock with my retailer within a day, it was sent late and I still didn't receive it. I'm sure (or: I expect) that one is fabulous with its TrueHD track (*envie smilie*).

Congrats again!

Cees

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover

Agreed. Especially after the 2.0 firmware, my HD-A1 is Flawless. Still slow as heck...but smooth and issue free. :)

Adam Portrais

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Adam Portrais

Well, that was the word. But now with the new fall dash update you will be able to see your HD DVDs in 1080p (and yes, over component). After I downloaded the update I decided to see if the TV I usually do most of my gaming on would look like if I set it to 1080p (can't remember the model off the top of my head, it's last years version of the Insignia NS-30HTV- yeah, it's so-so but what da'ya want for $300?) and to my suprise it actually accepted the 1080p signal and showed it as displaying it. Now I'm not the most technical person out there and I'm sure there will be someone who will rain on my one man parade but as far as I can tell (and I'd put money 99.99% of people) this tv is displaying 1080p- it does,ever so slightly, look better than 720p, which is the setting I had it on before.

So just out of curiosity I hooked my 360 up to my 4805 because this is how I will be watching my HD DVDs (an EDTV yes, but 720p and 1080i content still looks better than 480p content- at least to me) and sure enough my 4805 accepted and showed that the input was 1080p (again just looking slightly better than 720p/1080i). So I guess in a really long drawn out and random crap filled answer is (I guess depending on your TV) you'll be seeing 1080p (and from what I understand it will upconvert via the VGA cable (which, to my knowledge every 1080p tv has)).

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann

I had heard this as a rumur but didn't want to state it as fact. It will be interesting when I get home this weekend to download the new update on the 360 and see what difference I see. Thanks for the info.

Mike.P

Second Unit
Plunked down my $50 reserve on the player today! Cannot wait until next week with both it and Gears of War coming!

And Superman Returns at the end of the month in HD will be simply one word..wow.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks