What's new

May Releases: The Big Red One SE, Battle of the Bulge and others (1 Viewer)

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille

As usual, IMDB is wrong. There never was a 212 minute version of Battle of The Bulge. The review in the UK magazine Films and Filming lists the running time as 163 minutes.

Mark Anthony

Second Unit
The 163 min cut though omitts the overture, intermission & exit music and apparantly also part of the artillery train sequence....regardless I'm sure Warner will present the fullest possible version.

M

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, I'm with Perry-- what better time to release another Sam Fuller war movie? I've got the WB laserdisc of Merrill's Marauders and it's solid.

Saw The Big Red One at the NuArt a couple of weeks ago-- if it's playing in your town, check it out. Great movie and excellent restoration work.

It's a good year to be a Fuller fan, particularly with Fox releasing House of Bamboo in March and Forty Guns in May. The source materials for Bamboo should be great; the print I saw at the Egyptian in 2003 was gorgeous.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Battle of the Bulge
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif

Wow! How did I miss this.
My favorite war film and one of my most eagerly awaited DVD's. Not the most historically acurate I know but the best Tiger Tank movie ever! I hope Warner's does a great job with this.The Laserdisc was great. I'll probably pick up the extended cut of The Big Red One also even though I've never been a big fan of this one. :emoji_thumbsup:

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
I just checked out my letterboxed Laser Disc copy. 2.35:1 aspect ratio (it should be 2.76:1) and 155 minutes, including the overture, intermission and exit music. It also has the Cinerama logo at the beginning.

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Movies Unlimited has a new film movie set from Warners for pre-order. Available May will be the World War II Collection: Battlefront Europe

The set includes "Battleground," "Battle of the Bulge," "The Dirty Dozen," "Where Eagles Dare," and "The Big Red One (Special Edition)." SRP is $59.99. Looks like Warners haven't taken the opportunity to produce an SE of The Dirty Dozen, which is a shame.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Today, I watched a Hi-Definition presentation of it and the run time clocked in at 162 minutes plus some seconds. The picture was beautiful and it brought back memories when I first watched this film during the winter of 1966.

Crawdaddy

Hal F

Stunt Coordinator
Am reading Fuller's autobiography now and in it he states that the original length of TBRO was 4 hours and 20 minutes!
Could that have been a misprint?

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
HDNET Movies, right Robert? I caught some of it and it was awesome in HD. Looking forward to all these films.:emoji_thumbsup:

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member

How can it be the best Tiger Tank movie ever made? There wasn't a Tiger Tank to be seen in the entire movie. They were Shermans and (I think) Stuarts . That was one of the most disappointing things about BotB: no Tigers. Not even some fake ones ala 'KELLY'S HEROES'; although, in BotB's defense, KH was made five years later. It's bad when a war farce ends up being more technically accurate than a film about a historical battle. Maybe it was the best tank movie ever made; although, I find that, personally, debatable. I found PATTON was a better tank movie than BotB, even though PATTON is basically a biopic.

As for the BIG RED ONE. Is the theatrical cut going to be included with the extended cut? I hope so.

Drew Reiber

Supporting Actor

No, the mention of a four hour cut is definitely something he said according to the book and historians. But if you read that area of the book carefully, you'll notice he talks about breaking the longer version of the film up to be released as a TV mini-series, so my personal theory is that as he already conceded the film as perhaps too long (as he intended it) for theatrical viewing, he probably envisioned the four hour cut as the length of the mini-series. That's my thoughts anyway.

Kain_C

Screenwriter

I haven't seen BotB, but the way you talk, I don't know if I want to because German Tiger tanks are very recognizable to me and it would be distracting and hard to suspend disbelief.

BUT, Patton isn't accurate in that regard either because they use Vietman-era M-60 tanks (I believe so, I know they are not Shermans or Stuarts or any tank relevant to WW2) but I still love that movie immensely.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
IIRC the irony of Patton is that it shows the Germans in Korean-war vintage "Patton" tanks.

EDIT: my memory misserved me.

From IMDB about Patton: "On the German side the M48 tank (1953) was used and on the American side the M47 (1952). Ironically, the latter was also called the 'Patton 1'."

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Does anyone have a link to a press release or announcement for the "World War II Collection: Battlefront Europe"?

It hasn't been posted on any of the major DVD news sites yet...

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Thanks John!

How did I miss that... looks great!!

(I think from now on I'm only buying Warner Bros. DVD's)

:D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks