What's new

May Releases: The Big Red One SE, Battle of the Bulge and others (1 Viewer)

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Australian site Michael DVD has the full specs of Warners 2-disc of Sam Fuller's The Big Red One; The Reconstruction via a PDF here. The R4 is due for release April, and I wouldn't expect those specs to change much, if at all, in R1 or R2.

Jim Barg

Second Unit
Real Name
Jim Barg
Excellent. This played in Rochester at the Eastman House last week, but I had to work. Will definitely pick this up.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
The Big Red One and then a couple weeks later Go Tell The Spartans.
very good news!

love the simple, classy design for the BRO jacket.
i have to second what someone said about Warner in another thread- its not just that they are #1, there so far ahead, there is no #2, just 3 on down.

Dave Farley

Second Unit
It's not historically accurate but I like Battle of the Bulge enough to want it on DVD. I wonder what version this will be? There was a 167 minute version on VHS. There is a 212 minute version and that still had a few scenes missing.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
The UK video of Battle of the Bulge was only 142mins! A longer version gets shown on tv from time to time. I'd love to see it completely uncut and with intermission.

GregoryMesh

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gregory Mesh
It will be extended cut. See the link to DVD Times with announcement and peview of cover art.

Mark Anthony

Second Unit
Someone in another thread said "B of the B" was in it's original Ultra-Panavision 2.76:1 or thereabouts ratio.

Has this been confirmed by a press release anywhere and has the running time been mentioned as there's a few different versions floating around?

Although knowing Warner these days I'm sure we don't need to worry but I just hope they havent done what they did with Ben-Hur and take a 35mm reduction element and crop it further....:-(

M

Mark Anthony

Second Unit
Thanks John, here's hoping it's the full length, director approved, version - although sources differ as to how long that actually is, IMDB quotes 212 mins for the UK cut!

M

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I don't understand why Warner is releasing "Battleground" again when it was just released last year. I'm sure they have other WWII films in their library that have never been released.

Crawdaddy

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jonathan
Very interested to see what they've got lined up for Go Tell the Spartans--it's a must-see that's flown under the radar for years. Inspired work from Burt in the midst of a late career winning streak: Buffalo Bill and the Indians, or Sitting Bull's History Lesson , 1900, Atlantic City, Cattle Annie & Little Britches, Local Hero, and this one.

ChristianLiemke

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Christian Liemke
Warner's "The Big Red One" 2-DVD-release will not include the european documentary "Samuel Fuller and the Big Red One" (75 Min.) from 1979, directed by Thys Ockersen and the additional hour of unused interview material. In an e-mail I asked Mr. Ockersen about this and here is his answer:

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart

Well, the cropping was built into the 35mm reduction. Apparently, it was made using Super Panavision specs for 35mm reduction (which crops the top and bottom to make 2.35:1 normally).

Of course, as long as correctly made reductions are used, there shouldn't be a cropping problem.

Mark Anthony

Second Unit
Well they may surprise us all and transfer from 65MM, rendering the problem void. As they did it with "Around the World...." maybe they will with this....I await with baited breath to see it regardless!

M

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks