What's new

Making a test box (1 Viewer)

Mark gas

Second Unit
I am making a box for 6.5 inch drivers that will be adjustable so I can change the air space inside the box. What’s the maximum air space a 6.5 inch driver will need? 1 cubic feet enough or should I go 2 cubic feet?

GrahamT

Supporting Actor
The Vb depends on the driver and the desired Q. In general, 1 cu ft is plenty for a 6.5" driver but more info is needed. Why do you need to vary the Vb?

Mark gas

Second Unit
I want to try out a buch of driver that I have and see what box size suits them the best.

Greg Monfort

Supporting Actor
If you know its Vas, then 4*Vas is 'close enough' to a sealed IB, i.e. Qtc = ~Qts, whatever it is. If not, then just doing a quick search, the highest Vas I found for a 6.5" is 1.14ft^3, so I guess you can't go wrong with ~4.56ft^3.

GM

GrahamT

Supporting Actor
You can model the in box response in winISD and other programs if you have the TS parameters.

Mark gas

Second Unit
yes but once I do I have to build a box for them. This way i can use winisd for box size throw the driver in the test box with a tweet and use a active xover and give a listen and then try another driver within minutes. 4 cubes might be a little to big for space wise so i might go for 2 cubes.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
No need to make the wall movable. You could build the box the biggest size you think you would ever need it, then cut several 1/4 cu. ft. styrofoam blocks. All you would have to do is drop enough blocks inside the box to reduce the airspace by the amount you want.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks