What's new

Low sound in rear speakers.....HELP!! (1 Viewer)

Artie78

Auditioning
Real Name
Artie Alfaro
OK I have a Yamaha RX-V2400 receiver and my rear speakers I'm having issues with are Mirage Omni series 60. When I play a movie and lets says it's raindrops suppose to be in the rear speakers I can't hear a thing unless I'm 1 inch away from it. I watched the Matrix and put on the lobby shoot out scence couldn't hear nothing from the back speakers. When I got really close like an inch away then I could hear the sound of the marble breaking off the walls and falling. The setting was on 5.1 I also went into manual set speakers and turned it up to +10 which is the highest it could go. Still barely hear it. Now if I set the receiver to 7.1 the the rear speakers are nice and loud but i hear everything coming from it. What I'm I doing wrong or is surround sound, sounds suppose to be that low?

Some tech info I have all Mirage Omni series 60 excepted sub woofer ( forget the name ) front left and right center, rear left and right. My couch is L shaped one end at a 45 degree angle is the rear left speaker about 7 feet high from the ground and set about 4 feet back from the couch same for the right side. T.v is caddy cornered to face center of couch with FL FR and center face straight towards center couch. I have no back wall so that's why it's set up like this.

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
First off, have you calibrated your speakers with a decibel meter? If not, that's the first thing to do. I set my surrounds a couple decibels louder than the front speakers. Second, surround effects are not supposed to be "loud", they're supposed to be more like background music. So you have a 7.1 receiver but are using it as 5.1? When you went thru speaker "Setup", did you choose "None" for the 2 rear surrounds? If not, that could be part of the problem. I don't have a 7.1 receiver so I'm not sure. In a 7.1 system you have the 2 side surrounds, and 2 rear surrounds.

Artie78

Auditioning
Real Name
Artie Alfaro
No I didn't calibrate my speakers unless it was done when it was 1st bought. I got these from a family member. Hmm i have to see about the setup on none. I know i saw for volume control on each speaker and I set the center and fronts to +2 dec. and rear surround to +10 dec. and set rear left and rear right to -10 b/c i don't have those ( 7 channel 4 in back ) I even put rear surround down to -10 n put rear left and right up, still nothing. Thanks for ur post I agree that surround should not over power the fronts but should at least be heard.

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
Each speaker needs to be calibrated(set to the same decibel level) for YOUR room. Do you have the manual for the receiver? If so, it will show you how to "setup" the receiver. You have to go step by step thru the process. Try to find someone that has a decibel level meter you can borrow. Normally if you don't have a certain speaker/speakers, you would set to "None" in the Setup menu.

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Just to reiterate a point Jim was making - if you are running this as a 5.1 system (instead of 7.1) make sure your surround speakers are connected to the terminals labeled "Surround" and NOT the terminals labeled "Surround Back". The correct terminals for the surround speakers are the second row from the bottom on the back panel of the receiver.

You will also need to set up the receiver properly to convert any 7.1 audio to 5.1.

Really, it sounds like you need to read the manual for your receiver to get the most out of it.

If you need a copy of the manual, go to the Yamaha website. You can download a copy from here.

You'll need to sign up (free) to download manuals from their site.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gigaspin88
Recent bookmarks