What's new

Love with the Proper Stranger - DVD at Last???? (1 Viewer)

Justin Ray

Second Unit
Real Name
Justin Ray
With Paramount Pictures' Centennial celebration in 2012, I can't help but wonder if they'll finally release Love with the Proper Stranger? One of the best films of 1963, it's a fantastic display of McQueen's and Wood's onscreen chemistry and individual artistry. As many of you know, Paramount plans to release Wings, the 1927 Best Picture winner, in January; with this long-awaited release on the shelves, does LWTPS have a chance to hit our DVD shelves as well? Fingers crossed, kiddies- hopefully, Paramount will have the right answer very soon ;)

FrankXS

Second Unit
All thumbs up for a DVD release of Love with the Proper Stranger from Paramount for their 100th Anniversary. With Wings announced might they also consider the Victor Mature/Hedy Lamarr Samson and Delilah from 1950.

Justin Ray

Second Unit
Real Name
Justin Ray
Samson and Delilah's another Paramount that would look fantastic on DVD and Blu-Ray. I hope to God they don't re-release the films from the previous Centennial Collection. Don't get me wrong- I love the Hepburn films, Sunset Boulevard, The Odd Couple, and the rest of the traditional classic Paramount DVD releases; however, with so many wonderful films unreleased, it'd be a shame not to release them after such a long time in the Paramount vault. :D

Justin Ray

Second Unit
Real Name
Justin Ray
Patricia Neal won the 1963 Best Actress Oscar, beating out Natalie Wood's performance inLove with the Proper Stranger. After watching both performances, Wood's performance stands up as the better one, if not for acting chops alone, definitely for the amount of importance her character brings to the narrative. I've always felt that's Neal's character in Hud supports rather than carries (or co-carries) the film, making her a fantastic candidate for Best Supporting Actress. With LWTPS's discussion of abortion, love, loneliness, courage, and self-respect, Natalie's performance tackles these topics with honest emotion and undeniable strength. No offense to Neal's talent, but this was Natalie's year to win. Thoughts? Criticism?

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I would have voted for Natalie of the five nominated performances. I think one of the year's best performances got completely overlooked: Debbie Reynolds in How the West Was Won. Debbie had to age from a teenager to a "grandmother" during the film, and she figures in many of the most interesting storylines. It was a huge ensemble, but Debbie is the only one of the stars who goes from the beginning to the end of the story making her the real star of the picture, and she did so with an earnest and heartfelt performance.

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
I recently bought the import DVD in the PAL format from Spain , and I watched it today . It's a disappointing transfer, and a DVD-R to boot . I have bought other titles from this company and they were always real pressed DVD's, and in much better quality than this.

Watching this today was okay , but it made me wish a definitive version was available .

I think Paramount needs to remaster this film and release it on Blu-ray with some nice bonus features . It's a great movie and it's a shame that it hasn't been available on home video for close to 20 years.

borisfw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
Not sure what the holdup is with Love with the Proper Stranger . But i've always liked this movie . It doesn't hurt that it stars McQueen and Wood at the height of their careers . It's a very sweet movie with ,i think, great performances from both McQueen and Wood . And lets not forget Tom Bosley as Wood's suitor . I sold my vhs years ago and i still watch my dubbed dvd-r . I would love for this film to finally come out on Blue ray . First day buy for me .

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
borisfw said:
Not sure what the holdup is with Love with the Proper Stranger . But i've always liked this movie . It doesn't hurt that it stars McQueen and Wood at the height of their careers . It's a very sweet movie with ,i think, great performances from both McQueen and Wood . And lets not forget Tom Bosley as Wood's suitor . I sold my vhs years ago and i still watch my dubbed dvd-r . I would love for this film to finally come out on Blue ray . First day buy for me .
Same here, preorder for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks