Lost in Space: Season 1 Officially Announced - UPDATE & APOLOGY ADDED 10/8

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by DouglasRobert, Sep 18, 2003.

1. Joe Karlosi

Joe Karlosi Producer

If anyone can't tolerate watching Dr. Smith (as played by Jonathan Harris)I find it very difficult to comprehend how you can watch any of the episodes at all - he's practically the whole show! [​IMG]

2. Dane Marvin

Dane Marvin Screenwriter

3. Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott Lead Actor

4. Steve_AS

Steve_AS Second Unit

5. Mark_TS

Mark_TS Screenwriter

bandwidth exceeded to view the space pod? oh well.

If true,that Season 2 & 3 are being given the green light, then we may yet see a VOYAGE~THE SEA box-and I know those will have to be remastered, as all the dupes used on SciFi and Columbia House are in terrible shape. _

The classic Seaview in some of the best close-up detail shots ever.

6. Dane Marvin

Dane Marvin Screenwriter

7. Joe Karlosi

Joe Karlosi Producer

Possibly at the time the show was made there wasn't as much talked or thought about regarding children in the grips of "suspicious" adults and all of that. I mean, today everything's Michael Jackson, pedophilia, etc.

It's certainly questionable as to why the family continues to allow Smith to live, hang around or whatever -- but I've always found Guy Williams' John Robinson as a man of great patience and tolerance. Perhaps the God-Awful 1998 feature film could have better addressed such concerns; after all, it featured a dysfunctional 90s family and missed the whole heart of the series anyway.

Anyway, with a show about a flying saucer setting off in 1997 (!?) and meeting absurd looking monsters and things, I can suspend further disbelief regarding the tolerance for Smith's character. And Smith winds up turning into a lovable sort of nuisance, anyway. Less dangerous.

8. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

As long as we're debating the unbelievable aspects of the show, as a parent now I must cringe every time those kids just run off and do stuff that out-and-out disobeys the orders of their parents. As a kid it was fun to see kids smart enough to go out an try to accomplish things, even though they put themselves in danger. Now, as an adult and a father, I just cannot believe the lack of discipline. [​IMG]

It's easier for me to justify that they had a hard time deciding to kill, lock up, or abandon Dr. Smith because he was a fellow human being. As a former manager I can recollect so many times when someone who's on their "last chance" acts good for just long enough that, when they do mess up again, it's hard to execute them on that "final strike" threat you gave them, because it's been so long since the threat was issued. Smith was obviously a coward, too, and "needed protecting".

However, I don't understand why they let him keep the robot under his control for so long at the beginning. Why not pull the power-pack and keep it until they were sure his programming had been undone?

As my dad used to say, "What is it that way? Because it's in the script..."