What's new

Los Angeles/Orange County meet (1 Viewer)

David Tolsky

Supporting Actor
Still hammering out the details. Thanks to Peter Staddon, Fox is officially on board, perhaps with a debut DVD screening of Big Trouble in Little China, with a catered meal to follow! Fox will be able to get a whopping 50 of us in to their event. Peter and I are still discussing days and dates. What I need to know is how many of you will be able to take a day (or two) off work. If DTS is to get involved, they most likely would want to schedule on a week day as well. Asking locals to take 2 days off is asking a lot, so let me hear from you. Please do not take this opportunity to put yourself on the "list" yet. The "list" at this point does not exist. And when it IS time, please don't commit unless you are absolutely sure you can get the day off. Hmmm, maybe what we'll do is Fox on one Friday, DTS the following Friday, and my house on Saturday. Just might work...

Brian-W

Screenwriter
David,
I'm in for sure..........that is for the 'list' and for taking time off if necessary.! My boss(s) read this forum too, so no hiding it........
-Brian

Mike Levine

Agent
Real Name
Mike Levine
David,
This sounds pretty good. I can take time off as long I can give notice a week in advance. Strong interest in attending here.

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
David,
Actually, I'd prefer 3 consecutive days (Thursday/Friday/Saturday). I'm willing to burn vacation to attend but can only take vacation by the week, not by the day.
If the more popular approach is doing it one Friday and then the next Friday/Saturday, then I'll plan to attend whatever events are happening on the Friday/Saturday.
Thanks,
Mark
------------------
Our Home Theater
Our DVD Collection

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
As long as I have a decent amount of lead time (i.e. more than a week) I can take one or two days off of work with no problem. And I am definitely interested in attending both DTS and FOX events.

Jean Weitzmann

Stunt Coordinator
David,
I'm pretty flexible with my time too (outside fixed trade shows), so, as long as this is planned a little in advance, I can take a couple of Fridays off.
JW

DeborahK

Supporting Actor
I am eager to attend as well but like others need enough lead time to let my office know I will be gone.
Deborah

Justin Doring

Screenwriter
Hi, David
Great news about the HT meet! I can probably skip a day or two of class, so keep me posted!
------------------
"Home is where the theater is!"

L. W. Cobb

Agent
Thanks for organizing this, David! I can't wait! If I can get a couple of week's notice, I'll be available for any date that works. This will be so cool, and I look forward to seeing the local HTF members again. Woo Hoo! :) Larry

David Tolsky

Supporting Actor
I have been given dates to avoid from DTS so that we do not schedule during their upcoming trade show events. We're leaning more toward May rather than April. Fox and DTS are aboard and I am also speaking with Martin Blythe of Paramount, who may be able to do something for us. Keep in mind that only half the amount going to Fox and DTS will be able to come to the closing event at my house. Sorry, I have to limit that to 20 people. I would like to have a screening, hopefully an advance screening if a Studio would allow us an advance copy or perhaps preview some upcoming titles. This will be similar to last year, with door prize givaways and lunch. Maybe we can even attempt 6.1 sound again and get it right this time!
PS: To Carlo: It would be great if we can get some YAWA Audio folks to attend the events. It's the least we can do for them.
Also, does anyone have any out of region 1 discs they can bring? I don't have any yet but have the Apex to play them on or at least preview them. DTS titles would be a great idea in that respect.

AllenD

Second Unit
No need to take vacation here since I'm unemployed w/severence sustaining me until June.
wink.gif
I'm in!

Jean Weitzmann

Stunt Coordinator
David,
I have some Region 2 PAL DVDs from France.
However, most of them are in French without subtitles.
A couple of them have DTS audio. (TAXI and DOBBERMANN)
The only one that I have with French language track and English dubbed track (yuk!) and English subtitles, is Luc Besson's SUBWAY (that will be released by Columbia as a new Region 1 NTSC disc later this year), but the audio not even 5.1.
Let me know if you want me to bring some of those.
JW

Brian-W

Screenwriter
David,
I have a few Region 2 (NTSC - Japan) DVDs I could bring, although don't know how desirable they'd be (especially in May after many re-releases):
-French Kiss (unlike U.S. release, this IS 16x9)
-Notting Hill ( DTS release, not available in U.S.)
-That Thing You Do (5.1, but not anamorphic)
-Chain Reaction (same as That Thing you do)
-Point Break
-Leon
-Scream (16x9, but I think it's upconverted 4:3)
and a few others............
I don't know if anyone actually cares, but if someone does, I also have a Japanese HDTV laserdisc player and decoder (analog HDTV) and the following High Definition movies that I could bring:
-T2
-Close Encounters 3rd Kind:Special Edition
-In the Line of Fire
-basic Instinct
-Cliffhanger
and a few other movies....
-brian

Frank Tran

Agent
I don't know if this really counts but I have a region 0 version of Crounching Tiger, Hidden Dragon if you're interested.
EDIT
Nevermind. I just found out that this disc is a bootleg and the transfer is actually pretty terrible. Like the old saying goes, if it seems too good to be true....

JaredB

Agent
David,
I could bring a copy of the European cut of Disney's Treasure Island, as well as the Japanese Mad Max (the only DVD that has the original Australian dialogue track)
- Jared

Peter Staddon

Stunt Coordinator
How about a pre release version of "Point Break" - those waves at the end look great on my 73" TV :D, and the DTS track sounds pretty good as well!
I'm sure we can find some door prizes as well for the meet in Davids Theatre.
Peter Staddon

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks