What's new

Lionsgate Press Release: Terminator 2 Judgement Day Limited Collector's Edition (4k UHD) (1 Viewer)

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I cannot imagine anyone watching the 4K UHD & thinking they just wasted their money on it as its a big upgrade on all previous home video formats :) the level of detail even with DNR overkill is just stunning but the colour timing is immaculate & HDR is very muted so it looks like a decent cinematic image overall.
But no extended version, right? I'm not getting the 3D (which kills me) or 4K because I aways watch the extended version. Who makes these idiot decisions?

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
It's uplifting to see how far we've come during the last ten years of blu-ray: now there is a chorus of disapproval if film grain has been removed. It was quite the opposite ten years ago! Back then, film grain was seen as something ruining the "clean and sharp pictures" - check out reviews of anything released by Universal during the first years (Brokeback Mountain, The 40 Year Old Virgin, just to name a couple). Comparing the old and new 2D HD blu-rays of Terminator 2 (I don't have 4K projection), the new version doesn't look like film at all. Granted, the colour grading and detail are far superior to the old blu-ray - but to my eyes, projected onto a 150 inch screen, the picture looks rather odd.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
You do know that old blu-ray (or at least the Skynet Edition) was considered heavily DNR'd at the time right?

Every previous release of T2 has had something wrong with it visually due to Cameron wanting to use some sort of transfering tech that was not ready for prime-time, They've ranged from excessive edge enhancement and misframing in the old single disc and Ulimate Editions to a constantly recycled master that was ok for dvd and 720p but whose artifacting and compression really started to manifest and become problematic at 1080. So if every release screwed it up, how are we supposed to know far they borked this one?

Last edited:

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
You do know that old blu-ray (or at least the Skynet Edition) was considered heavily DNR'd at the time right?

I have the StudioCanal/Lionsgate released May 2015. It has grain and looks more like film, although the colours are rather bland. The new edition looks like a computer game. I respect Steven Spielberg and Martin Scorsese, who insist that their video masters keep the film grain that was originally there on the original negative. James Cameron wants his old movies to look like Avatar - just wait until The Abyss sees the light of day. That was also shot in Super 35. Bet he's removed every speck on that.

Paul_Warren

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul
But no extended version, right? I'm not getting the 3D (which kills me) or 4K because I aways watch the extended version. Who makes these idiot decisions?
I agree but it is what it is. 4K UHD 2017 Theatrical is still a massive upgrade over previous home video releases & the bigger screen you have the better it looks due to the increased detail. The worse thing about this release is its so sloppy. Blue laser bolts in the opening future war scene then the rest are purple is another sloppy mess. They just do not seem to want to QA these properly anymore & you get what your given seems to be the attitude coming from the studios unfortunately.

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
4K UHD 2017 Theatrical is still a massive upgrade over previous home video releases & the bigger screen you have the better it looks due to the increased detail.

I think this is subjective.
I would prefer less detail, but a filmic look with grain!
Also, I don't think we were watching at the cinema this film with that degree of detail since there weren't digital screens back then.
This kind of look puts me off personally, and that's why I've stopped watching new films. (well, one of the reasons).

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
I think this is subjective.
I would prefer less detail, but a filmic look with grain!
Also, I don't think we were watching at the cinema this film with that degree of detail since there weren't digital screens back then.
This kind of look puts me off personally, and that's why I've stopped watching new films. (well, one of the reasons).
I'm not against digital cinematography. Last January, I compared on the same afternoon, a 4K digital projection of The Revenant, which was shot using the Arri Alexa 65 and a 70 mm new print of The Hateful Eight, which was shot using Ultra Panavision 70 and Kodak VISION 3 film stocks. Both films were projected on large theatrical screens, so I was watching both under optimal conditions. The resolution, light sensitivity, colour and dynamic range on The Revenant all beat The Hateful Eight, no question. I love large format films but digital is now technically as good.

However, this is cinema using state of the art digital cameras. It doesn't apply to directors going back to their films shot on celluloid in 1991, and trying to strip away all the grain in 2017. Here the film grain is already, if you like, "ingrained" into the image and "rolls off" highlights and shadows gracefully. Although the advances in 4K negative scanning now render even more film-like images, even in HD, it doesn't add back the fine detail removed through DNR. Arnold looks like a waxwork on the new T2. The larger the screen, the more apparent it is.

DVDvision

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
How is the original Blu-release misframed? I thought it was all the same 2002 HD scan for every release up until now, only compressed/DNRed differently depending on the releases.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Who makes these idiot decisions?

The same one who is going to sell you this title again in a moar ultimater edition that includes all three cuts in 4K right around the time the next terminator movie is to be released. It will have some kind of video issue so that they can sell you again a corrected version while introducing an all new video issue, and so forth.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
The same one who is going to sell you this title again in a moar ultimater edition that includes all three cuts in 4K right around the time the next terminator movie is to be released. It will have some kind of video issue so that they can sell you again a corrected version while introducing an all new video issue, and so forth.
I should thank the powers that be for saving me money. I'm not buying the 3D or 4K version since it doesn't include the extended version. When they decide to offer what I want, I'll reconsider.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
That arm has “plastic” written all over it, metaphorically.

Well yes, I think that was confirmed during the original order -- it's some sort of 2 lb Polycarb like a Model Space Shuttle I got for Xmas one year. I would love to say I was 10yo, but considering I watched the original Moonwalk live on TV I must admit I wasn't/

They is some actual Metal version around, but the last I say is was 10+lb and $1000 thing.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Just looked it up. My original prices was $150 before it got cancelled. I bought the stand alone disk in the meantime. I don't think I am in for this one...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks