What's new
World Wide Stereo

Lesson learned. (1 Viewer)

marc_manny

Stunt Coordinator
Just because the front of your DVD player says DTS doesn't mean it is sending a DTS signal. For some reason DTS was turned off as a default option on my player. I am guessing it was just informing me that it has a DTS signal?

I was blaming the receiver becuase it looked like the DVD player was outputing DTS. Oh well, only 2 hours of fiddling to figure that out. I knew it was going to be something simple. It is real humbling.

Marc

728x90

Dan Driscoll

Supporting Actor
Most DVDs and DVD players default to Dolby Digital. If you want DTS you have to select it in the DVD's audio set-up menu, assuming the disk has a DTS track.

greg_t

Screenwriter
Dan is right. Most players come with DTS output disabled by default. You have to go into the menu and enable it.

Don_Berg

Supporting Actor
I also can confirm all DVD players seem to come with the DTS bitstream output disabled as the default. I think this started a few years ago when most folks had older Dolby-only receivers that didn't support a DTS bitstream, so that configuration was the most common. Nowadays most have DTS-capable receivers, but you have to manually enable the DTS bitstream in the DVD player's setup menu the first time.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
A non-dts capable digital decoder will emit horrible and potentially speaker-damaging noises when fed a dts bitstream, hence the players all ship with dts disabled, and dts dvds default to DD. Most but not all dvds with a dts track also disable audio track selection on the fly, requiring you to go back into the setup menu.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
katarianig
Recent bookmarks