What's new

Left surround cuts out intermittently (1 Viewer)

Matt Fonteneau

Auditioning
After installing my surround speakers, I realized my left surround was not working. Only after I jacked up the volume high enough is when it finally "turned on", if that makes any sense.

Now that I'm watching some football on a reasonable volume, I can't hear anything out of that left surround again with my ear pressed up against the speaker (right surround is working fine).

It's also worth noting that while performing the auto-calibration (I have a Pioneer VSX-1091, I believe..it's in the other room and I'm too lazy to get up and check the model), the speakers would check front left-->center---> front right---> right surround all in a rather quick succession, however when it came time to test the left surround (the one thats giving me the issues), it took almost 4 times longer for the test tones to come out.

I've tried double checking the wiring...there are no breaks in the wire, and it's securely fashioned to both receiver and speaker (polarity is fine, too). The length of the wire isn't that long either, so I don't think it's too long of a run. Has anybody come across this problem before? And if so, is there a remedy? Thanks in advance.

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter
length of the wire isn't likely to be a problem, not unless you're using two conductors out of a piece of Cat-5, and are running the signal more than a hundred yards.

There are two obvious things I'd try in trying to isolate the problems:

1. swap the rear surround speakers (physically.) Does it follow the speaker?

2. swap the amp-side leads to the rear surround speakers. Again, does it follow the change?

The goal is to eliminate (#1) the speaker, (#2) the wiring, which would then leave #3 - it's inside the amplifier box.

Inside the box, there are all sorts of possibilities for things to go wrong, but lets not go borrowing trouble.

Leo

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks