What's new

LCD TV questions - Samsung LN37B550 (1 Viewer)

jtmann

Auditioning
Real Name
Rashad Teddy
LCD TV questions - Samsung LN37B550

Hi. I am buying my first non-CRT TV (better late than never), looking for good quality but not newest or leading edge. I have done lot of research and have narrowed my choices down to a 37 inch or 40 inch LCD. It is for my living room - don't want too small of a screen or too big (regular non HD content looks terrible on bigger screens I find and a lot of TV is still there). My questions to forum are:

1. Re: Samsung LN37B550, I have read consistently positive reviews of this unit but have come across more than a comments about poor audio quality from the built in speakers in Samsung LCD TVs (including 37B550). Any forum users have experience that refutes or verifies this?

2. What would comparable LCD TVs in 37 inches be? My Web research seems to points to maybe Panasonic 37" 1080p LCD HDTV (TCL37S1) being a close second? Any comments on this or others?

3. Should I spend the extra $300-400 and move up to the 40 inch Samsung? Only thing I am worried about is how poor image quality of non HD content looks on bigger screens

Thanks to all

Stephen Tu

Screenwriter
I would not worry about non-HD content. This was a valid concern 4-6 years ago, but not today IMO. Back then I could only watch about 33-40% of my shows in HD. Now I'm like 98% HD. Every major cable network has an HD version or will have one up in the next year or so. Even if a lot of their stuff is upconverts, it's done at the station, and looks OK at large size. Who is your programming provider, and what networks/shows are you finding all this non-HD stuff on?

I'd recommend a TV half the size of your viewing distance. Maybe at least distance/2.25.

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
Samsung is one of the best at displaying non HD channels. Thats why I bought a Samsung. Mine is a 61" DLP, and the non HD channels look very good, on my big screen. We sit about 10 ft. from the tv. Sony's don't look too bad either, but they come at a more premium price. I think the Samsungs look better, especially for the money.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks