What's new

Blu-ray Review Lawrence of Arabia: 50th Anniversary Limited Edition Blu-ray Review (1 Viewer)

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
I received the 2-disc version for Christmas, and, for the most part, am happy with it. I just wish Sony had included the third disc as well. But, then again, it probably would have been much more than the $18 I spent using the gift card I received to purchase it.

andySu

Senior HTF Member
Lawrence of Arabia, on the Amazon Forest for £6.30. Should I buy it , to fill the whole in my life?
I just fear it might have the same music score error on the English track same as the DVD I have? Trouble is no one listens too films or Lawrence of Arabia. I know where all most of the directional dialogue pans are and sound effects panning.

Is the scene where Lawrence, walks across the train carriages does it sound like the 70mm 35mm Dolby SR, or does it have music score jump to it and does it have the Foley footsteps as well that are faint in the mix against the score.

£6.30 is the just few pounds more than box of cat food for my cat and he knows when I have spent money on bluray and he reacts with protest.

Its really not a film I watch much now and I see it only been played or skipped though to check if the error is there or has been done with proper mix.

sonomatom1

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tom Martin
Late in the day, but I just purchased this set from Amazon for under $40 - brand new! Worth every penny (it reminds me of the T2 laser box - what a classic!), but I'm curious -- where do the film cells come from? Are they copies or frames that were cut from the final print?

Reed Grele

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Reed Grele
sonomatom1 said:
Late in the day, but I just purchased this set from Amazon for under $40 - brand new! Worth every penny (it reminds me of the T2 laser box - what a classic!), but I'm curious -- where do the film cells come from? Are they copies or frames that were cut from the final print?

It's a trifle.

A trifle which they take from a great box they have.

In Aqaba.

But seriously, I believe that this was discussed somewhere in this thread.

It's a long read. But perhaps someone who remembers exactly will chime in.

BTW, which film frame scene did you get?

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Watching this one again for the first time with the text commentary. Lots of great info in the text boxes, and the added pictures of the real people the movie is based on like Feisal are fascinating.

Last edited:

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
"I cannot fiddle, but I can make a great state out of a little city." (Lawrence)

"What?!" (Gen. Murray)

"Themistocles, sir. A Greek Philosopher."

"I know you've been well educated, Lawrence. It's in your dossier!"

This part and the immediately earlier part always make me laugh:

General Murray: "I can't make out whether you're bloody bad-mannered or just half-witted."

T.E. Lawrence: "I have the same problem, sir."

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Just watched the deleted balcony scene with Jack Hawkins, which is on the third blu-ray of this set. I really like this scene, and I think the voice actor who dubbed in Hawkins did a pretty good job, considering. Anyway, in my mind, anyway, this scene is somehow part of the movie....

diverdave

Grip
Real Name
David Hale
So this thread inspired me to pull out my LoA collector's edition and look it over. I opened up the blu-ray case, and there was an insert for a UV digital copy that I never redeemed. The code expired in 2014 and was to be redeemed through flixster which now is basically defunct.

With nothing to lose, I gave it a try and I was able to redeem it through Vudu. :) So if you have the set and never redeemed the code, give it a try!

This is just about the benchmark for collector's editions, especially with the one frame of 70mm film. Which reminds me of the feeding frenzy when one 70mm frame was included in (I think) the Target release of Interstellar. Folks went crazy over those. :eek: I should check ebay and see if the prices are still insane.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
I saw in an interview that Steven Spielberg has been watching Lawrence of Arabia about once a year for most of the last 50 years. Since it had been a few years since my last viewing, I pulled this set out again and watched this wonderful film. I know that a 4k version of this is out, but my budget for blu-rays doesn't stretch that far at the moment—plus this version looks great compared to the 70mm projection of this film I saw in the theater in 1988 or so.

Anyway, somehow I'm always still surprised at the dramatic fall of Lawrence in the second part. What an amazing and thought-provoking film.

As Spielberg once pointed out, the contrast between the earlier Lawrence and later Lawrence is visually shown in these two stills. I do think Peter O'Toole would have been my choice for the Oscar for this year (even though Peck is wonderful too), but finally he did get the Academy Award for his whole career forty plus years later, and gave a most gracious speech.

lawrence with dagger 1.jpg
lawrence with dagger 2.jpg

Reactions: PMF

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks