What's new

Blu-ray Review Lawrence of Arabia: 50th Anniversary Limited Edition Blu-ray Review (1 Viewer)

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Virgoan said:
All right. There is a teensy bit of disappointment with the box.
My cel is of Anthony Quayle.
No desert.
No O'Toole.
It's nice and sharp, though.
:cool:
Wow, I guess I can be lucky then - I got O'Toole.
And the desert.
And Anthony Quayle.
Plus my box arrived 4 weeks early!
And a magnificent box it is, almost as big as the LoA Muse LD!

Bill McCamy

Second Unit
Real Name
Gasim de Paris
As posted in the "A few words..." thread, my cell (28956) has Farraj, Brighton and Lawrence in the officers club, immediately after Lawrence says the bed is for Farraj. Very nice. My local Costco only had two boxes left. I noticed on one the case was to be removed from the right, and on the other, from the left.
Great review.

Virgoan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ron Pulliam
Bill McCamy said:
My local Costco only had two boxes left. I noticed on one the case was to be removed from the right, and on the other, from the left..
Ah, something for everyone then...one for right-handers and one for southpaws! :D

Cinemark

Auditioning
Real Name
Mark
Got my box yesterday, will be all over it during the entire weekend. Got my viewing cut out for me.

Cinemark

Auditioning
Real Name
Mark
This is incredible! When seeing this in the theater in 1988, during the scene of the return of Lawrence coming back from the Anvil to rescue Gasim, you could see that tiny little speck of Lawrence on the first shot of the horizon. But on network television, no way. On cable, no way. On VHS, forget it. Even on DVD maybe barely. But now on BD, it's there in all it's glory!
No doubt this will be one of top BD releases of the year. Finished with the feature, now to move on to the extras.

Todd J Moore

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Todd Moore
So the whole movie is on one disc then? Okay. One thing that bugged me about the DVD is disc one ended 20 minutes before the intermission!

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
Originally Posted by Todd J Moore /t/325073/lawrence-of-arabia-50th-anniversary-limited-edition-blu-ray-review/30#post_4002634
So the whole movie is on one disc then? Okay. One thing that bugged me about the DVD is disc one ended 20 minutes before the intermission!

Yes, the entire film, including the intermission, is on Disc One.

Real Name
Jeffrey Sultanof
I can only agree with all of the posters in saying that this presentation is amazing. At this point I was expecting a fantastic picture, but the sound is really blowing me away as well! My big Polks are getting a wonderful workout.

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Another word of praise for the whole package and spectacular picture quality. I do like the balcony scene extra but I think it's a great pity that it wasn't integrated into the film - yes, I've read why it wasn't.

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter
Real Name
Luke J. Chung
Originally Posted by Douglas R /t/325073/lawrence-of-arabia-50th-anniversary-limited-edition-blu-ray-review/30#post_4002971
Another word of praise for the whole package and spectacular picture quality. I do like the balcony scene extra but I think it's a great pity that it wasn't integrated into the film - yes, I've read why it wasn't.
The voice dubbing job for Jack Hawkins in the scene by actor Charles Gray wasn't deemed satisfactory by Sir David Lean when done during the 1988 restoration project, so I think we should defer to his wishes and be grateful that we still have it at all, albeit separated from the movie proper!!!

CULTMAN1

Second Unit
Real Name
Bruce Campbell
i have nothing but praise for the work that has gone into this blu ray restoration. Moving on, I only wish London had put this on a big screen for the cinema release not a tiny screen in the Empire Leicester square and the rather small screen at the NFT 1
A wasted opportunity... Come back METROPOLE VICTORIA all is forgiven a wonderful 70mm screen where Lawrence resided for 3 years in the early sixties...

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member
Richard Gallagher said:
1. The first bonus feature on Disc Three is also the most anticipated - the restored balcony scene with Peter O'Toole and Jack Hawkins. The scene is introduced by film editor Anne V. Coates, who explains that the entire scene was reconstructed visually but the soundtrack could not be located. Unfortunately, Jack Hawkins had developed throat cancer in the sixties and his larynx was removed during surgery. He continued to make films, but his lines had to be dubbed by actors who were able to mimic his voice. Attempts were made to dub his lines for the excised balcony footage, but as viewers will see the results were not satisfactory. Consequently, David Lean made the decision to leave the previously-deleted footage out of his Director's Cut. The introduction and the balcony scene have a combined running time of 7 minutes, and the scene is shown in high-definition for the first time.
The deleted balcony scene is not presented in high-definition, it's standard def.
Vincent

DP 70

Screenwriter
Real Name
Derek
The screening last night and Sunday at the Empire were in the main screen , the Digital picture size on scope is even larger than the old 70mm.

DP 70

Screenwriter
Real Name
Derek
Also re my last post at least the NFT 1 has tabs and a 4K Digital Projector, the picture size for 70mm 2.20.1 is the same ratio on the DCP as
they just bring the side masking in from DCI 2.39.1.
Also the picture cant be any bigger to they raise Waterloo Bridge.
I love NFT 1 and have seen some fantastic films in all formats over 40 odd years.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks