What's new

Kino-Lorber Insider Announcement Thread (Read Guidelines Post #3) (14 Viewers)

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
For those of us (old enuff to be...) familiar with Barry Newman's Petrocelli character from the '70s TV series, The Lawyer -- the theatrical release which spawned it -- is far edgier than you might expect. Recommended, albeit with caveats over some politically incorrect touches and modest stretches of credulity.

I always liked Newman, whose career never reached the heights it might have, IMHO. He was once described as a cross between Steve McQueen and Dustin Hoffman....
I agree about Barry Newman. He had more than enough screen charisma to have become a big star. For some reason, it didn't happen. I'm very pleased Kino is releasing this disc.

Incidentally, I saw this film by mistake! I thought it was a Paul Newman movie I was going to see!

Sultanofcinema

Second Unit
Real Name
Joseph Barrett
For those of us (old enuff to be...) familiar with Barry Newman's Petrocelli character from the '70s TV series, The Lawyer -- the theatrical release which spawned it -- is far edgier than you might expect. Recommended, albeit with caveats over some politically incorrect touches and modest stretches of credulity.

I always liked Newman, whose career never reached the heights it might have, IMHO. He was once described as a cross between Steve McQueen and Dustin Hoffman....
I saw The Lawyer upon its release in the theater and loved it as well as the actor Barry Newman, whom I also loved in Fear Is The Key. I always thought he was going places but was too good for Hollywood. Funny that I was going to spend the money on the Sidney J Furie boxset just to get The Lawyer and then this was announced. Thank you Kino!

Kino Lorber Insider

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Insider
Coming May 14th!
https://kinolorber.com/product/daisy-miller-special-edition

DAISY MILLER (1974)
BRAND NEW HD Master by Paramount Pictures – From a 4K Scan of the 35mm Original Camera Negative
Remembering Daisy Miller: NEW Interview with Star Cybill Shepherd (10:14)
NEW Audio Commentary by Film Historian and Critic Peter Tonguette
• Audio Commentary by Director Peter Bogdanovich
• Introduction by Director Peter Bogdanovich (12:45)
• Theatrical Trailer
• Limited Edition O-Card Slipcase
• Optional English Subtitles

Color 91 Minutes 1.85:1 Rated G
From cinema giant Peter Bogdanovich (The Last Picture Show, Paper Moon) and the classic novella by Henry James (The Turn of the Screw), Daisy Miller stars the sensational Cybill Shepherd (Taxi Driver) as the free-spirited young American living abroad in Europe with her daffy mother and bratty kid brother. A woman who does as she pleases yet who seldom pleases anybody but herself, Daisy is very liberated and very much ahead of her time as her behavior scandalizes the Victorian high society of 1878. With sumptuous cinematography, Oscar-nominated costumes and a streak of delightfully acerbic humor, Bogdanovich’s adaptation is “one of the few great films based on a great book” (Richard Brody). Co-starring Bogdanovich favorites Barry Brown (The Great Northfield Minnesota Raid), Mildred Natwick (Barefoot in the Park), Eileen Brennan (The Sting) and Cloris Leachman (Young Frankenstein).

738329266547.jpg

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Coming May 14th!

DAISY MILLER (1974)
BRAND NEW HD Master by Paramount Pictures – From a 4K Scan of the 35mm Original Camera Negative
• Theatrical Trailer

From cinema giant Peter Bogdanovich (The Last Picture Show, Paper Moon) and the classic novella by Henry James (The Turn of the Screw), Daisy Miller stars the sensational Cybill Shepherd (Taxi Driver) as the free-spirited young American living abroad in Europe with her daffy mother and bratty kid brother. A woman who does as she pleases yet who seldom pleases anybody but herself, Daisy is very liberated and very much ahead of her time as her behavior scandalizes the Victorian high society of 1878. With sumptuous cinematography, Oscar-nominated costumes and a streak of delightfully acerbic humor, Bogdanovich’s adaptation is “one of the few great films based on a great book” (Richard Brody). Co-starring Bogdanovich favorites Barry Brown (The Great Northfield Minnesota Raid), Mildred Natwick (Barefoot in the Park), Eileen Brennan (The Sting) and Cloris Leachman (Young Frankenstein).

View attachment 216425
Saw this on first release and thoroughly enjoyed it, even though it was not well received at the time.

mskaye

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Kochman
Saw this on first release and thoroughly enjoyed it, even though it was not well received at the time.
I'm of the current mindset that even a less than stellar film from the 70s directed by an auteur is billion times better than much of the stuff we see today. Worth a look if only because when I worked at Paramount in the mid 1980's, I was always seeing 4x5 transparencies of that cover shot of Cybil S in the photo files.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
I'm of the current mindset that even a less than stellar film from the 70s directed by an auteur is billion times better than much of the stuff we see today. Worth a look if only because when I worked at Paramount in the mid 1980's, I was always seeing 4x5 transparencies of that cover shot of Cybil S in the photo files.
The early 70s and the late 30s were the best eras for film imo

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Saturday's Facebook Announcement:

Coming Soon on Blu-ray!

Brand New 2K Master

The Visitors (1972)
Starring James Woods, Steve Railsback, Patricia Joyce, Patrick McVey & Chico Martínez – Co-Produced, Shot & Edited by Nicholas T. Proferes (Monterey Pop, Wanda) – Co-Produced & Written by Chris Kazan (The Streets of San Francisco) – Directed by Elia Kazan (Gentleman’s Agreement, On the Waterfront, Splendor in the Grass, The Last Tycoon).

1710601280612.png

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
I 've never heard of or seen The Visitors. Looks interesting.
I saw it when it came out, at the First Avenue Screening Room. It didn't have much of a release. It's an interesting film, gritty in both style and substance and very 70's, also very DYI indie, closer to WANDA than ON THE WATERFRONT. The performances are loose and improvisatory, as is the camerawork. It appears to be made on the cuff, though knowing Kazan, I'm pretty sure it was carefully rehearsed. It limns a world where everything is uncertain, reflected in the visual style and performances; specifically, where the chaos and trauma of the Vietnam war has seeped back into everyday life. It reminds me a bit of those early Fassbinder films done in gangster drag: THE AMERICAN SOLDIER & GODS OF THE PLAGUE. You can also see it as a neo-noir, a throwback to PANIC IN THE STREETS or STORM FEAR.

BTW, now I see it had the same DP as WANDA, which I wasn't aware of, so my visual and stylistic comparison is fairly apt.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Sunday's Facebook Announcement:

Coming Soon on 4KUHD!

2023 HDR Dolby Vision Master by StudioCanal!

Alphaville (1965)
Starring Eddie Constantine, Anna Karina & Akim Tamiroff – Shot by Raoul Coutard (Jules and Jim, Z) – Music by Paul Misraki (Le Doulos) – Directed by Jean-Luc Godard (Breathless, Contempt).

1710687698216.png

skylark68

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
Sunday's Facebook Announcement:

Coming Soon on 4KUHD!

2023 HDR Dolby Vision Master by StudioCanal!

Alphaville (1965)
Starring Eddie Constantine, Anna Karina & Akim Tamiroff – Shot by Raoul Coutard (Jules and Jim, Z) – Music by Paul Misraki (Le Doulos) – Directed by Jean-Luc Godard (Breathless, Contempt).

View attachment 216605
I have the Kino bluray. I’m interested in a review once it’s released. One of my more favorite Godard films.

Kino Lorber Insider

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Insider
Coming May 21st on 4KUHD!
https://kinolorber.com/product/bad-lieutenant-4kuhd

BAD LIEUTENANT (1992)

DISC 1 (4KUHD):

• Brand New HDR Dolby Vision Master – From a 4K Scan of the Original Camera Negative
• Audio Commentary by Director Abel Ferrera and Cinematographer Ken Kelsch
• 5.1 Surround and Lossless 2.0 Audio
• Triple Layered UHD100 Disc

DISC 2 (BLU-RAY):
• Brand New HD Master – From a 4K Scan of the Original Camera Negative
NEW Interview with Cinematographer Ken Kelsch
• Bad Neighborhoods: The Locations of Bad Lieutenant - NEW Featurette
Retrospective Documentary: Featuring Exclusive Interviews with the Cast and Crew
• Theatrical Trailer
• Dual Layered BD50 Disc

Color 96 Minutes 1.85:1 Rated NC-17
He has survived on the streets for twenty years. He’s a gambler. A thief. A junkie. A killer. A cop. Now he’s investigating the most shocking case of his life, and as he moves closer to the truth, his self-destructive past is closing in. NYC auteur/provocateur Abel Ferrara (The Driller Killer, King of New York) and co-writer Zoë Lund (Ms. 45) gaze unflinchingly into the life of a Bad Lieutenant. Starring screen legend Harvey Keitel (Mean Streets, Reservoir Dogs) at his most brilliant and brutal in what is perhaps the most incendiary and notorious film of the 1990s. The stellar supporting cast includes Victor Argo (Taxi Driver) and Paul Calderon (The Last Castle).

738329266561.jpg

mskaye

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Kochman
Coming May 21st on 4KUHD!
https://kinolorber.com/product/bad-lieutenant-4kuhd

BAD LIEUTENANT (1992)

DISC 1 (4KUHD):

• Brand New HDR Dolby Vision Master – From a 4K Scan of the Original Camera Negative
• Triple Layered UHD100 Disc

DISC 2 (BLU-RAY):
• Brand New HD Master – From a 4K Scan of the Original Camera Negative
NEW Interview with Cinematographer Ken Kelsch
• Bad Neighborhoods: The Locations of Bad Lieutenant - NEW Featurette
Retrospective Documentary: Featuring Exclusive Interviews with the Cast and Crew
• Theatrical Trailer
• Dual Layered BD50 Disc

Color 96 Minutes 1.85:1 Rated NC-17
He has survived on the streets for twenty years. He’s a gambler. A thief. A junkie. A killer. A cop. Now he’s investigating the most shocking case of his life, and as he moves closer to the truth, his self-destructive past is closing in. NYC auteur/provocateur Abel Ferrara (The Driller Killer, King of New York) and co-writer Zoë Lund (Ms. 45) gaze unflinchingly into the life of a Bad Lieutenant. Starring screen legend Harvey Keitel (Mean Streets, Reservoir Dogs) at his most brilliant and brutal in what is perhaps the most incendiary and notorious film of the 1990s. The stellar supporting cast includes Victor Argo (Taxi Driver) and Paul Calderon (The Last Castle).

View attachment 216726
I don't think the same Forum types clamoring for the release of a 4k of STAR! are going to buy this one. I will though!

Kino Lorber Insider

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Insider
Coming May 21st!
https://kinolorber.com/product/sci-...-colossus-of-new-york-destination-inner-space

SCI-FI CHILLERS COLLECTION
• HD Masters by Paramount Pictures – From 4K Scans
• NEW Audio Commentary for THE UNKNOWN TERROR by Film Historian Stephen Bissette
• NEW Audio Commentary for THE COLOSSUS OF NEW YORK by Film Historians Tom Weaver, Larry Blamire and Ron Adams
• NEW Audio Commentary for DESTINATION INNER SPACE by Film Historians David Del Valle and Stan Shaffer
• Sidebar on THE COLOSSUS OF NEW YORK: On-Camera with Tim Lucas and Steven Bissette
• Sidebar on DESTINATION INNER SPACE: On-Camera with Tim Lucas and Steven Bissette
• THE COLOSSUS OF NEW YORK - Theatrical Trailer

B&W/B&W/C Approx. 230 Minutes 2.35:1/1.85:1/1.85:1 Not Rated
Sci-fi and horror collide in 3 bone-rattling and bizarre B-Movie classics! THE UNKNOWN TERROR (1957) – A millionaire (John Howard) leads a remote jungle expedition to find the legendary “Cave of the Dead” where his wife’s (Mala Powers) brother had disappeared long ago. Instead, they stumble upon a mad doctor who has created a horde of foam-spewing, fungus-covered monster-men! Directed by Charles Marquis Warren (Back from the Dead) and shot by Joseph F. Biroc (Bwana Devil) in spine-chilling “Regalscope.” THE COLOSSUS OF NEW YORK (1958) – When a brilliant scientist (Ross Martin) is accidentally killed, his preserved brain is transferred to the body of a giant robot so that it can continue to serve mankind. But when it gains awareness of its own hideousness, this steel colossus embarks on a rampage of destruction! Directed by Eugène Lourié (Gorgo) and co-starring Mala Powers as the deceased man’s horrified wife and Otto Kruger as his obsessed, mad-scientist father. DESTINATION INNER SPACE (1966) – When an object of unknown origin is detected in the area of an underwater laboratory, scientists investigate and come face to face with the object—an extraterrestrial saucer! They board the craft and discover a mysterious cylinder, which they take back to the lab for closer inspection. It is then that events take a monstrous turn! Directed by Francis D. Lyon (Castle of Evil) and starring Scott Brady, Sheree North and Gary Merrill. Destination Inner Space was shot in Eastmancolor by cinematographer Brick Marquard (Foxy Brown).

738329266578.jpg

mskaye

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Kochman
Coming May 21st!
https://kinolorber.com/product/sci-...-colossus-of-new-york-destination-inner-space

SCI-FI CHILLERS COLLECTION
• HD Masters by Paramount Pictures – From 4K Scans
• NEW Audio Commentary for THE UNKNOWN TERROR by Film Historian Stephen Bissette
• NEW Audio Commentary for THE COLOSSUS OF NEW YORK by Film Historians Tom Weaver, Larry Blamire and Ron Adams
• NEW Audio Commentary for DESTINATION INNER SPACE by Film Historians David Del Valle and Stan Shaffer
• Sidebar on THE COLOSSUS OF NEW YORK: On-Camera with Tim Lucas and Steven Bissette
• Sidebar on DESTINATION INNER SPACE: On-Camera with Tim Lucas and Steven Bissette
• THE COLOSSUS OF NEW YORK - Theatrical Trailer

B&W/B&W/C Approx. 230 Minutes 2.35:1/1.85:1/1.85:1 Not Rated
Sci-fi and horror collide in 3 bone-rattling and bizarre B-Movie classics! THE UNKNOWN TERROR (1957) – A millionaire (John Howard) leads a remote jungle expedition to find the legendary “Cave of the Dead” where his wife’s (Mala Powers) brother had disappeared long ago. Instead, they stumble upon a mad doctor who has created a horde of foam-spewing, fungus-covered monster-men! Directed by Charles Marquis Warren (Back from the Dead) and shot by Joseph F. Biroc (Bwana Devil) in spine-chilling “Regalscope.” THE COLOSSUS OF NEW YORK (1958) – When a brilliant scientist (Ross Martin) is accidentally killed, his preserved brain is transferred to the body of a giant robot so that it can continue to serve mankind. But when it gains awareness of its own hideousness, this steel colossus embarks on a rampage of destruction! Directed by Eugène Lourié (Gorgo) and co-starring Mala Powers as the deceased man’s horrified wife and Otto Kruger as his obsessed, mad-scientist father. DESTINATION INNER SPACE (1966) – When an object of unknown origin is detected in the area of an underwater laboratory, scientists investigate and come face to face with the object—an extraterrestrial saucer! They board the craft and discover a mysterious cylinder, which they take back to the lab for closer inspection. It is then that events take a monstrous turn! Directed by Francis D. Lyon (Castle of Evil) and starring Scott Brady, Sheree North and Gary Merrill. Destination Inner Space was shot in Eastmancolor by cinematographer Brick Marquard (Foxy Brown).

View attachment 216841
I remember The Unknown Terror playing on Creature Feature on WNEW Channel 5 in the late 60s/early 70s. The foam was memorable not sure about the rest of the film.

mskaye

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Kochman
Coming May 14th!

DAISY MILLER (1974)
• Theatrical Trailer

View attachment 216425
Hi Kino people. Wes Anderson and Noah Baumbach are discussing this film - and Bogdanovich in general - on this great podcast. And they're wondering why a good blu ray of it isn't available. Good timing! PS- they say Tarantino is a fan of this too.

Kino Lorber Insider

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Insider
Coming May 21st!
https://kinolorber.com/product/revenge-of-the-ninja-special-edition

REVENGE OF THE NINJA (1983)
• NEW Audio Commentary by Action Film Historians Mike Leeder and Arne Venema
• Audio Commentary by Director Sam Firstenberg and Stunt Coordinator Steven Lambert
• Intro by Sam Firstenberg
• Behind-the-Scenes Photo Gallery
• Theatrical Trailer
• Dual-Layered BD50 Disc

Color 90 Minutes 1.85:1 Rated R
The Ninja are back!
Brandishing swords and fists, leaping and kicking, wielding blow darts and explosives, they know a thousand ways to kill. Martial arts legend Shô Kosugi (Pray for Death, Rage of Honor) delivers a heart-pounding display of strength, speed and lethal Ninja know-how in this action-packed thriller that takes us back to the good old days of the kung fu extravaganza. When a band of Ninja assassins slaughters the family of Cho Osaki (Kosugi), he flees to America in the hope of building a new life. A former Ninja himself, Osaki tries to escape his deadly past but soon discovers he has become the pawn of a ruthless drug trafficker—an American Ninja intent on killing anyone who crosses his path…including Osaki! Directed by action maestro Sam Firstenberg (Avenging Force) and produced by Cannon legends Yoram Globus and Menahem Golan, Revenge of the Ninja is terrific entertainment with slam-bang action scenes, mind-blowing stunts and legendary villains like Professor Toru Tanaka (Catch the Heat, The Perfect Weapon)!

NOTE: This is the same transfer as our 2015 release, but encoded at a higher bit rate and on a dual-layered BD50 disc, giving the feature 30mbps or more. So, it should look better than the previous release that was on a BD25 single layered disc. We added a brand new audio commentary, English subtitles and a slipcase.

738329266585.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks