What's new

just bought my first RPTV (1 Viewer)

david*mt

Second Unit
Its the Toshiba 42H83 and so far I'm very happy with it. It was on sale at Bestbuy plus I had another coupon for 5% off so it was like $1160. Seems like a great deal and it has the DVI. Anyway, I would like a little help on adjusting the picture. What are good settings to start at for the contrast, brightness, sharpness, tint, etc.? I know every TV is a little different but I just wanted to know about when to start. I'll be getting Avia soon and probably won't touch the service menu until but are there any basic changes I can make in it to improve the picture? I'm currently using a Samsung interlaced dvd player and may get a progressive soon. Are the standard, movie, and sports modes worth messing with? I would assume the custom settings are the best. Basically I would just like to hear any suggestions. I'm not new to TVs but this is my first RPTV and my first HDTV. Thanks

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Use the Movie mode (which, I believe, disables SVM), lower the contrast to at least 50 percent (or more, preferably), adjust the black level ("brightness") appropriately, and turn off the so-called "sharpness" control. Get that calibration disc and proceed from there. (Also, do a convergence.) Eventually get a prog-scan player. Enjoy your movies!

greg_t

Screenwriter
I second what Jack said and add to get a copy of Avia or video essentials and use it to properly set you contrast, Black Level, etc. levels. Also DO NOT mess around in the service menu unless you really know what you are doing. You can mess things up good in there.

JohnnyCorona

Agent
Some DVDs come with the THX display adjustment utility built into it. Whatever they call it. Thats what I used and it helped adjust the picture very well.

Johnny

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks