What's new

HDR Scenes (TV and Movie) to demo Dynamic Tone Mapping? (1 Viewer)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I need recommendations for TV or Movie scenes to see the effect of my projector's tone mapping, to adjust its settings.

A little context: I've got a new-to-me JVC NX7. I'm trying to figure out its basic settings with frame adapt and theater optimizer. I was watching the car chase in The Batman (2022) thinking that would really show JVC’s tonemapping system. But there was no difference toggling between Static, Frame by Frame, and Scene by Scene. The color filter (Normal vs Wide) didn’t really make any difference either. The only obvious differences were toggling Theater Optimizer from Low - Med - High, which simply dialed it brigher or darker.

So, I'm looking for help, finding good content to see the differences in HDR particulalry between static and dynamic tonemapping. Ideally, specific scenes "watch this Episode ## of The Expanse starting at timecode ##:##" or "watch Chapter 5 of this movie".

Thanks!

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
I need recommendations for TV or Movie scenes to see the effect of my projector's tone mapping, to adjust its settings.

So, I'm looking for help, finding good content to see the differences in HDR particulalry between static and dynamic tonemapping.
I'm basically in the same situation but in no hurry as I already know my NZ8 looks simply amazing with anything I throw it's way. I've watched several UHD titles since purchasing it and, for the first time ever, never felt the need to even think about how HDR was being handled. It truly is a "set it and forget it" system but the enthusiast in me still demands I get my hands on a SpyderX and perform the self-calibration.

If you haven't already I would recommend spinning up Blade Runner 2049 or either of the John Wick films.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I’ve been completely distracted from this since posting in December. And now I’ve got a subwoofer problem I don’t have time to track down. :/

This summer when life is hot and calm I’ll focus on my HT optimizations and warranty issues. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks