What's new

Jurassic World (2015) (1 Viewer)

Jonathan Perregaux

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jonathan Perregaux
Why were the two feminine-looking boys wearing red lipstick in the night scenes? This was something my parents noticed.

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Just watched this for the second time. It did not get better. It got worse. It's not a very good movie. It lacks imagination and you don't need to see the whole movie to notice it. You can tell right from the first 5 minutes the way they introduce the park. It goes so fast like a newsreel with no awe.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
If you don't think too hard, it has plenty of imagination. [emoji12]

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
Tino said:

I prefer to watching thinking movie like say ex machina.

Jacob

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
SamT said:
Just watched this for the second time. It did not get better. It got worse. It's not a very good movie. It lacks imagination and you don't need to see the whole movie to notice it. You can tell right from the first 5 minutes the way they introduce the park. It goes so fast like a newsreel with no awe.

I had the same problem as well.

Jacob

Tommy R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tommy
I agree the opening of the movie is VERY not good. They should've stuck with how the first 3 JP movies started and how most action films start; with and exciting and/or suspenseful sequence of some sort. Instead we get boring scenes that show step-by-boring-step the two brother making their way from their home to the theme park. It's hard to believe that such a major summer movie was released with such an unimaginative opening.

Now, with that out of the way, I friggin' LOVED this movie! I saw it twice in the cinema and already once on blu. It's not on the same level as the original but I thought it was the best blockbuster of the year (YES, better than The Force Awakens, which I thought was okay but truly nothing special).

*runs and hides*

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
TravisR said:
When I saw Jurassic World, I liked it well enough but was surprised by how much everyone else seemingly loved it. I watched it on Blu-ray a second time and liked it alot more though.

I had the same reaction when I saw it in theaters too. I haven't gotten around to watching the Blu-ray yet (my 3D capabilities were out of commission until a couple of days ago), but I'm looking forward to rewatching it and seeing if I like it more. I've already rewatched a few movies from this summer that I thought were just okay on first viewing, but liked more the second time around, so I'm kinda expecting that to be the case here.

The thing that I remember bugging me about the movie was how the dinosaur escapes because they open the fence first, don't see it, and only then go to turn on the tracker which shows it was hiding in the cage the whole time. Why on earth wouldn't you check the tracker before unlocking the gates? That just seemed so mindblowingly dumb to me that it took me out of the movie. But maybe I missed something or misunderstood and that wasn't exactly what happened?

Tommy R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tommy
Josh Steinberg said:
I had the same reaction when I saw it in theaters too. I haven't gotten around to watching the Blu-ray yet (my 3D capabilities were out of commission until a couple of days ago), but I'm looking forward to rewatching it and seeing if I like it more. I've already rewatched a few movies from this summer that I thought were just okay on first viewing, but liked more the second time around, so I'm kinda expecting that to be the case here.

The thing that I remember bugging me about the movie was how the dinosaur escapes because they open the fence first, don't see it, and only then go to turn on the tracker which shows it was hiding in the cage the whole time. Why on earth wouldn't you check the tracker before unlocking the gates? That just seemed so mindblowingly dumb to me that it took me out of the movie. But maybe I missed something or misunderstood and that wasn't exactly what happened?
Yeah, that's exactly what's going on in that scene. It's a bit hokey and maybe the dino's escape from it's pen could've been better conceived, but as it is I'm not all too bothered by it.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I liked this because the dinosaurs seemed more like characters than in the past movies. And since I've owned it on BD, it passes the "boring spots" test where, after I have certain movies for a while, I find myself watching them repeatedly but always scanning through the same slow or uninteresting parts. It's still early with this movie, but I thought the director maintained interest all the way through.

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Tino said:

That's the point of imagination. The movie actually has to engage you to start to think and make things up in your head. That's why the good dialog scenes are the best and better than any action. The opera in Revenge of the Sith. The Clone Wars in A New Hope. Gandalf in the beginning of The Fellowship of the Ring.

Mike Boone

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Michael
TheBat said:
I prefer to watching thinking movie like say ex machina.

Jacob

You and Sam T complained of JW lacking imagination and thinking, but in my view, those qualities have, to a pretty good extent, become casualties of the extreme inflation in movie production budgets, that make it a requirement that highly expensive movies must attract all age groups if they are to make much money. This means that producers tend to shy away from wanting their writers to provide much depth or complexity in such entertainments, which might just go over the heads of, or even confuse, younger moviegoers.

Just a little historical perspective to help demonstrate what I mean. 1957's The Bridge On The River Kwai was considered a pretty big production of its time, especially being filmed in difficult conditions on location in the jungles of Ceylon, with a bridge that took a couple months to build.

Plus, the film had a large international cast of distinguished actors. Yet, the total budget for that film has been stated as being 2 to 2.5 million dollars. Now a new American car today costs about 12 times what a new car cost when Kwai was released. But there have been a number of movies released in the last year or 2 with budgets that are 100 times what Kwai cost. And these modern movies certainly tend to lack the kind of stellar cast that Kwai had. English actor Alec Guinness ended up winning the Best Actor Oscar for his role in Kwai, while his American co-star, William Holden, was not only the 1953 Best Actor Oscar winner, but was the highest paid American actor in the year that Kwai was made.

I think that a couple of other interesting comparisons of past movie budgets with those of today, are the 2.5 million dollar budget for 1967's Bonnie and Clyde, as well as the 5 million dollar budget for 1969's Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, which, BTW, had a terrific, clever, Oscar winning script, for which screenwriter William Goldman was paid a then record setting fee of $400,000. And back at a time when only 5 movies each year were being nominated for the Best Picture Oscar, both of those relatively modest budgeted films got that nomination, an honor that is conferred on relatively few of today's 200 million dollar plus extravaganzas. Even back in 2007, Spiderman 3 was already reaching a budget of 258 million dollars, and by almost all accounts, did not even approach the quality of the first 2 installments of the franchise.

Anyway, to me it's simply mind blowing that Hollywood now routinely manages to produce a number of movies with budgets well in excess of 200 million dollars. And I understand that even though Tomorrowland, with George Clooney, is said by many to be a really mediocre movie, its production price tag was 190 million. Man, special effects these days sure get expensive. I think I'd rather see more money devoted to hiring good writers and a little less to making effects a little more glitzy.

IMO, it's pretty interesting to remember that back in the 1940s, William Faulkner and Ernest Hemingway, 2 of the greatest American writers who ever lived, actually wrote screenplays for some of Hollywood's films, which included lines spoken by actors such as Humphrey Bogart, Lauren Bacall, and Gary Cooper. But if either of those writers was living today, I seriously doubt that one of them would have been at all interested in the creative possibilities inherent in writing a script for the 3rd sequel to Jurassic Park. But what those authors were interested in writing were screenplays such as the one William Faulkner co-wrote for 1946's The Big Sleep, in which Humphrey Bogart played a private detective entangled in a case so complicated that even some movie critics have argued about exactly who was responsible for one murder.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
SamT said:
That's the point of imagination. The movie actually has to engage you to start to think and make things up in your head. That's why the good dialog scenes are the best and better than any action. The opera in Revenge of the Sith. The Clone Wars in A New Hope. Gandalf in the beginning of The Fellowship of the Ring.
I guess no one got my joke. [emoji848][emoji12]

Mike Boone

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Michael
Tino said:
I guess no one got my joke. [emoji848][emoji12]

But Tino, just remember that after Jurassic World had broken some box office records last summer, I dismissed your opinion that The Force Awakens would go well beyond Jurassic World's box office total for the U.S. So, with our disagreement, you really get the last laugh, especially since 2 days ago, The Force Awakens was already going above Avatar's overall U.S. total, and is still going strong.

Tino, I think that people would probably be better served to take any stock investment advice that you could offer vs. any that I might manage to come up with.

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
Mike Boone said:
But Tino, just remember that after Jurassic World had broken some box office records last summer, I dismissed your opinion that The Force Awakens would go well beyond Jurassic World's box office total for the U.S. So, with our disagreement, you really get the last laugh, especially since 2 days ago, The Force Awakens was already going above Avatar's overall U.S. total, and is still going strong.

Tino, I think that people would probably be better served to take any stock investment advice that you could offer vs. any that I might manage to come up with.

like others that follow the box office of movies. I knew that star wars would be huge. I knew it could beat avatar. star wars is its own brand. its been popular since day one. regardless if you like the new movie or not.. there is an audience for it.

Jacob

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annefnlys01
Recent bookmarks