What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Jurassic World 3D -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

P

Patrick Donahue

Geoff_D said:
I feel the same way about Terminator Genisys too (if only it had dinosaurs in it, it'd have grossed a billion easy), I think I've seen too much brainless multiplex fodder in my time and I'm starting to get just a little tired of it. Then again I loved San Andreas; I will not argue its merits as A Good Film™ but it's the best disaster flick I've seen in years.
It's amazing how people can see the same thing but not see the same thing. I hated Terminator and especially San Andreas, but loved Jurassic World. Debates about why are the spice o' life...

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Patrick Donahue said:
It's amazing how people can see the same thing but not see the same thing. I hated Terminator and especially San Andreas, but loved Jurassic World. Debates about why are the spice o' life...
Didn't see San Andreas, but thought Terminator was fun. I really liked JW. So yeah, we can see the same thing, but not the same thing.

Real Name
Rich
I hated Schindler's List. This was also where Spielberg's career took a sharp turn to mediocrity.

Steve Christou said:
Well they're far more enjoyable and entertaining than Schindler's List and 12 Years a Slave. That's one thing in their favor.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I didn't see it in theaters because I thought it was going to be awful. I was pleasantly surprised. I first saw a friend's DVD copy, then had to buy it on my own for BD. I knew in the first minutes, when they showed the kid with the View master, I would love it. I still have that View master dinosaur packet. The pictures they showed in the movie, while both in the set, were not contiguous on a single reel like that. But I didn't care. I loved it.

And I loved that the dinosaurs were characters in this one. Much better then 2 and significantly better than 3, I found myself watching the BD and then watching it again. If this is the future for the next two planned sequels, sign me up.

Real Name
Rich
I would say that. but he still had Empire of the Sun and Jurassic Park ahead of him. After Jurassic Park, his only notable film to my eyes was Minority Report.

Colin Jacobson said:
Nah - that happened in 1985!

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
To each his own but I think Saving Private Ryan, A.I. Articifical Intelligence, Munich, The Adventures Of Tin Tin and Lincoln are some of his best movies. Even less 'important' movies like Catch Me If You Can, The Terminal, War Of The Worlds and Bridge Of Spies would be some of the best work that other directors could turn out.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
TravisR said:
To each his own but I think Saving Private Ryan, A.I. Articifical Intelligence, Munich, The Adventures Of Tin Tin and Lincoln are some of his best movies. Even less 'important' movies like Catch Me If You Can, The Terminal, War Of The Worlds and Bridge Of Spies would be some of the best work that other directors could turn out.
I still would have loved to see Kubrick's A.I. as he originally planned, but since he gave Spielberg his blessing to do it, I do think it turned out great.

And Spielberg's 'Saving Private Ryan' is a masterpiece war film. Truly outstanding.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Richard Fuchs said:
I would say that. but he still had Empire of the Sun and Jurassic Park ahead of him. After Jurassic Park, his only notable film to my eyes was Minority Report.

Oh, I think Spielberg made some very good films over the last 30 years.

I picked 1985 because "Color Purple" represented his first attempt to "be serious", and I think that negatively impacted the rest of his career. He'd still make some fine films, but he lost the spark that made most of his 1975-82 run so freakin' great...

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Colin Jacobson said:
Oh, I think Spielberg made some very good films over the last 30 years.

I picked 1985 because "Color Purple" represented his first attempt to "be serious", and I think that negatively impacted the rest of his career. He'd still make some fine films, but he lost the spark that made most of his 1975-82 run so freakin' great...
I think he just grew up. "I can't imagine making a film like Close Encounters today," he said recently, "where a father basically abandons his wife and children to ride on a spaceship."

As much as I loved Jaws, CE3K, Raiders, and E.T., I'm glad he didn't keep making movies like that all his life (those four movies alone basically eclipse the career of most other contemporary filmmakers). I had the opportunity to talk to him twice, once professionally and once personally, separated by some twenty years, and the concerns we chatted about the first time couldn't have been more different from the things we talked about the second time. His evolution as an artist is the thing I like best to watch. Whether or not he can actually succeed in making the definitive film in every genre, as Kubrick aspired to do, remains to be seen. But I think nearly all his movies have something worthwhile to offer--if I take them on their own merits and don't compare them to his early run. He has been, and continues to be, a master filmmaker, IMHO.

Real Name
Rich
I don't mind him trying new things, but more often than not, these new things seem far outside of his abilities, and he's not really able to bring much to these films in the way that did to his earlier films. Even comparing films like similar films Jaws and Jurassic Park, or Raiders and Crystal Skull, or E.T. and Hook is pretty dispiriting.

Real Name
Rich
A.I. is to me, the very confused son of two very different fathers. Fascinating and frustrating in equal measure.

Bryan^H said:
I still would have loved to see Kubrick's A.I. as he originally planned, but since he gave Spielberg his blessing to do it, I do think it turned out great.

And Spielberg's 'Saving Private Ryan' is a masterpiece war film. Truly outstanding.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Colin Jacobson said:
...he lost the spark that made most of his 1975-82 run so freakin' great...
I think it's just the nature of alot of creative people though. They burn brightest when they're young and start to burn out as they age. I'd argue that Spielberg is one of the few directors (or bands or authors or artists) that have managed to maintain a pretty high level of quality throughout their entire career.

Reactions: cb1

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Carabimero said:
I think he just grew up. "I can't imagine making a film like Close Encounters today," he said recently, "where a father basically abandons his wife and children to ride on a spaceship."

As much as I loved Jaws, CE3K, Raiders, and E.T., I'm glad he didn't keep making movies like that all his life (those four movies alone basically eclipse the career of most other contemporary filmmakers). I had the opportunity to talk to him twice, once professionally and once personally, separated by some twenty years, and the concerns we chatted about the first time couldn't have been more different from the things we talked about the second time. His evolution as an artist is the thing I like best to watch. Whether or not he can actually succeed in making the definitive film in every genre, as Kubrick aspired to do, remains to be seen. But I think nearly all his movies have something worthwhile to offer--if I take them on their own merits and don't compare them to his early run. He has been, and continues to be, a master filmmaker, IMHO.

i don't mind that he "grew up" - I mind that he self-consciously "grew up".

I never got the impression that Spielberg "went serious" really because it was what he wanted to do - I felt like he changed tones because he felt he was supposed to go that way. People used to criticize him for "just" being a popcorn filmmaker and I think those criticisms got to him, so he wanted to show he had more range.

And he did - kind of. Spielberg has made some good dramas, but not very many, IMO, and his best dramas don't hold a candle to his best "popcorn movies". I think he just tried too hard to be what people thought he should be rather than what he wanted to be.

Oh, and I know that "CE3K" quote - and disagree with it...

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
TravisR said:
I think it's just the nature of alot of creative people though. They burn brightest when they're young and start to burn out as they age. I'd argue that Spielberg is one of the few directors (or bands or authors or artists) that have managed to maintain a pretty high level of quality throughout their entire career.

I don't think age-related burn-out is a big issue in filmmaking. I can think of some creative arts where the best work tends to come from younger artists - mostly music - but I don't see it that way with movies at all. If you look at the all-time great movies, there are very few made by people in their 20s...

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Finally watched this last night on HBO On Demand 3D. I thought the 3D was very good with a number of 3D pop-out scenes. When I saw it in a movie theatre I wasn't as impressed with the 3D.

Jonathan Perregaux

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jonathan Perregaux
I believed every single event that occurred in this film, including this:

Jurassic-World-Claire-Run-High-Heels-GIF.gif

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Loved the movie. Saw it in 3d at the theater and had to have it day 1. The 3d adds depth, I don't recall much in the way of pop outs.

It's more of a 2.5D movie than a 3D one, with limited depth and no pop out. The Walk it's not, and for me more enjoyable in 2D.

Just watched the 3D Blu-ray last night. The image is 138 by 69 in. from my Panasonic AE8000 projector. The 3D was fantastic for me. No crosstalk or ghosting and plenty of pop-outs.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annefnlys01
Recent bookmarks