What's new

Julie Andrews on TCM Cohosting A Salute to Julie Andrews 10/29 (1 Viewer)

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
The programming at Film Forum seems to be more and more disappointing lately. And a prime example being Millie as a morning matinee for the kids. Who makes these odd decisions? While I'm a big fan of the film and certainly can understand how something can seem funny in one era and not in another the film's racial insensitivity and light treatment of white slavery hardly make it a candidate for something you want to bring children to. And yes I know people bring children to far worse today but still.

Another thing is I've always thought of Millie in terms of bright Technicolor and even Crowthers in his Times review noted it. It's been a while but I guess I need to re-see it. I guess the soft look and washed out colors of 70s films made Millie seem crisp and bright in comparison.
Did she talk about the film being too long purposely stretched out and given the deluxe roadshow treatment by Ross Hunter when she and Hill wanted it to be a shorter continuous run movie?

Chelsearicky

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Richard Barrett-Olson
The programming at Film Forum seems to be more and more disappointing lately. And a prime example being Millie as a morning matinee for the kids. Who makes these odd decisions? While I'm a big fan of the film and certainly can understand how something can seem funny in one era and not in another the film's racial insensitivity and light treatment of white slavery hardly make it a candidate for something you want to bring children to. And yes I know people bring children to far worse today but still.

Another thing is I've always thought of Millie in terms of bright Technicolor and even Crowthers in his Times review noted it. It's been a while but I guess I need to re-see it. I guess the soft look and washed out colors of 70s films made Millie seem crisp and bright in comparison.
Did she talk about the film being too long purposely stretched out and given the deluxe roadshow treatment by Ross Hunter when she and Hill wanted it to be a shorter continuous run movie?
In 2017 I caught a screening of “Millie” as part of a ‘Best of ‘67’ series at the Music Box theater in Chicago. It was an 11am weekend screening as well. The ( very enthusiastic) audience was comprised of Julie fans who obviously love the film, but was exclusively adults, no kids to be seen anywhere in the large house. The Film Forum screening surprises me as well.

Last edited:

cinemiracle

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
She is a world treasure. THE SOUND OF MUSIC is my favorite film. Why is it so good? Julie Andrews.

Not my favourite musical-especially when I had to see it every day for 42 weeks where I worked. Our 60ft curved TODD-AO screen was very impressive, however.

Most people only think of Julie Andrews as an actor. She also directed the stage version of MY FAIR LADY at Sydney's Opera House a couple of years ago.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
1647371576545.png

Is this real

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
No. I mean Mary Poppins might be coming to UHD but that cover is just an absolutely terrible & lazy photoshop job and is 100% fake. They cut off the top third of the title. :laugh:
THANK U ----- one can get really fooled because of the demand for such a release

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks