What's new

Julia (TV series) (1 Viewer)

Emcee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Belflower
JULIA was a groundbreaking television series. It starred in the lovely Diahann Carroll as Julia Baker, a nurse and single mother raising a young son. It ran from 1968 to 1971 on NBC and produced eighty-six episodes. JULIA was one of the first prime time situation comedies to star an African-American in a lead and non-stereotypical role. It was also one of the few comedies of the time period that did not use a laugh track, although one was later added in the 1980s when it went into off-network syndication.

When Diahann Carroll died last October, I just knew that Shout! or someone was going to get a hold of JULIA and put it out on DVD. It was a career defining period for her, and I was really hoping that it was going to see the light of day. There were a handful of episodes on YouTube, but I think they are all gone now. Naturally there's bootleg copies everywhere, too.

Have any of you seen this show? Does anyone have any news about a possible DVD release?

1600111449673.png

Emcee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Belflower
I've never seen it, always wanted to and would pick up the series on a blind-buy for sure.
I've actually been disappointed that someone hasn't gotten around to releasing this series on DVD. I could really understand the demand might not be there for Blu-ray, but I was really hoping Shout! would get on the ball, get the rights, and issue a complete series set. Here's to continued hope, though.

There are several episodes still on YouTube. There's a channel called Diahann Fan that has fifteen or so episodes uploaded.

Here's a link to the pilot episode:

Scott_Morris

Mostly Observing
Real Name
Scott Morris
Have any of you seen this show? Does anyone have any news about a possible DVD release?

Watched this show as a kid when it originally aired, and thus began my lifelong love affair with Diahann Carroll. She was a true class act. I agree that it would be terrific to get some sort of official release of "Julia" on disc. I'd even be glad just to see it officially available via streaming somewhere...

On a side note, another beloved female icon from that era, at least for this little kid, was Juliet Mills in "Nanny and the Professor." I'd love to see that three-season (but only 54 episodes) show get some sort of official release, as well.

Emcee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Belflower
Watched this show as a kid when it originally aired, and thus began my lifelong love affair with Diahann Carroll. She was a true class act. I agree that it would be terrific to get some sort of official release of "Julia" on disc. I'd even be glad just to see it officially available via streaming somewhere...

On a side note, another beloved female icon from that era, at least for this little kid, was Juliet Mills in "Nanny and the Professor." I'd love to see that three-season (but only 54 episodes) show get some sort of official release, as well.
NANNY AND THE PROFESSOR was once in syndication on Laff or Antenna TV, often paired with the sitcom version of THE GHOST AND MRS. MUIR. I'd like to see both of these shows on DVD or available on Hulu or even Tubi.

Scott_Morris

Mostly Observing
Real Name
Scott Morris
"Nanny and the Professor" was available on Hulu for a while, although it didn't include the third season, as I recall, and multiple episodes were also missing from the first two seasons. I now have season one saved in my watch list on Amazon Prime, because I'm curious to see if the print quality is any better (highly unlikely with a Fox property, I know, LOL), but Prime tells me, "This video is currently unavailable to watch in your location." Anyway, if I find it or "The Ghost and Mrs. Muir" available anywhere at some point, I'll post back to this thread and let you know. And I hope you'll do the same for me with "Julia," although I did already make note of your mention of the Diahann Fan channel on YouTube, so thank you for that! :)

KPmusmag

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kevin Parcher
I have not seen Julia in years, but I never missed it as a kid. My mom liked it, too. I would buy a DVD set absolutely.

Last edited:

Emcee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Belflower
I just knew (and look what that gets me) that when Diahann Carroll passed, somebody would've gotten off their rocker and put Julia out in a box set.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annefnlys01
Recent bookmarks