What's new

John Ritter dies (1 Viewer)

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
I still remember the night I heard the news. I was getting ready for some Sunday School Dinner/Brunch thing and it was on my mind all night, the Death of John candy just seemed to linger over me.

Same goes for Phil Hartman, and now John Ritter. Still remember where I was and what I was doing as I heard the news..

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Unless I missed it in the E! story, they forgot to mention that there will also be a one hour special episode of 8 Simple Rules after the three new episodes air. It'll show the family dealing with the loss. At least, that's what was said at the end of the ABC special.

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
Just finished watching the ABC special, and yes, this is the first time I heard of the one-hour special episode of "8 Simple Rules....". Just imagine the cast of the show, having to go thru that again, even though it's just acting.

The videos of John Ritter on the day he passed away was especially poignant. Same goes for the reflections of him by his costars in "8 Simple Rules...."

Chris

Senior HTF Member
This seems a truly horrible concept to continue the show.. I can't think of any comedy this has ever worked for.. I mean, there have been dramas I can think of (like Sopranos) but those characters were always played as sick, or elder.. so it was somewhat in the frame of the show.. this is the death of the star character.

Would Different Strokes have continued if Gary Coleman died? I doubt it.

ABC should do the tribute episode and then say "goodbye" I know it's hard to give up a hot property, but it seems.. tacky.. to change the concept to keep it going..

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
I think the family, Amy especially, is behind this. I doubt they'd continue otherwise. Remember, dozens of people with families, crew etc... have empolyment because of this show and I'm sure that is being taken into consideration as this late into the season it is not likely to get another gig. May it come out being tacky? Quite possibly, but it might be ok, too. If it IS tacky, I think people will tune out and it will go off the air. But who knows? If say, Ritter's good friend Henry Winkler joined the cast as a relative or good family friend whose character helps the family get through this, it might be groundbreaking.

Just speculating, but what do I know...

:) D

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
Just my opinion here....I actually think casting Henry Winkler as a relative to the family can keep the show afloat. Like John Ritter, Henry Winkler is well-liked by TV viewers. I doubt his presense on the show will be rejected by viewers as an outsider coming in.

BTW, Henry Winkler is the co-producer of current "Hollywood Squares" and was one of the producers of "McGuyver". Of course, you guys know that already.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I would assume they'll eventually cast someone as an "uncle" or "grandfather" that might move in with the family to fulfill the father-figure role.

Vlad D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Vladimir Derenoncourt
I watched the John Ritter Special last night and now I'm more bummed then ever.

I can't decide what is worse a sudden unexpected death like John Ritter's or one were the person was sick for a while and eventually dies. I've experienced both and they were equally devastating.

I know this has been said before but this year there has been a tremendous number of celebrity deaths.

Chris Lockwood

Senior HTF Member
> Just imagine the cast of the show, having to go thru that again, even though it's just acting.

I doubt if any acting will be required on that episode, more like showing their real emotions.

Rob P S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
rob
I would assume they'll eventually cast someone as an "uncle" or "grandfather" that might move in with the family to fulfill the father-figure role.
Assuming he would want to do it, wouldn't it be cool if they could steal Ed O'Neill away from Dragnet? :)

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
Another name being thrown around if Tony Danza. I think it is great that they are continuing the show, I love it. It has great potential if they make the right decisions.

Andy

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
ABC's John Ritter tribute tops Tuesday Prime-Time ratings

I agree with you, Andrew. There're certainly potentials for the show if, and only if, the right decisions are made. However, even in a "best case scenario", I don't think I can ever watch the show without thinking about the comic greatness of John Ritter.

Just read in the current issue of "Entertainment Weekly" that a sequel to last season's "Three's Company"-themed show was planned. Also planned was a take off on "Carrie". Of course, this was all before John's passing.

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
"Three's Company" Season 1 DVD coming on November 11, 2003.

Latest update....special tribute to John Ritter at the upcoming Emmy Awards (from EOnline.com)

Look for the annual clip package of, for lack of a more reverential phrase, "TV Stars Who Died Last Year" to be led with a special tribute to John Ritter, who died unexpectedly on September 11, at age 54.

RyanPC

Stunt Coordinator
I think having Henry Winkler join the cast of 8 Simple Rules is a brilliant idea. It would be a wonderful way to hold the series together.

I am still in shock and cannot believe he is gone. I first heard about it on the morning announcements at school, I even had to ask the homeroom teacher if I understood it correctly. It's been haunting me ever since. Three's Company is my favorite show, and it makes me feel all empty inside to know that one of the three is gone.

RIP my friend. :frowning:

Kevin Porter

Supporting Actor
Goodbye John. After just discovering you one year ago I still cherish the memories you gave me.

Every Tuesday night my family and I gathered around the television to watch 8 Simple Rules. I was completely shocked to find this sitcom gem among the usual rubbish ABC usually aired. There's no way they can sucessfully continue the show without him. He was the show's lifeblood. I just can't imagine a John Ritter show without John Ritter.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks