What's new

John Ritter dies (1 Viewer)

John_Bonner

Supporting Actor
Sucky day indeed. Just watched "Sling Blade" last night on one of the movie channels. Great performance by JR.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
From TV Land:

Because Mr. Ritter's unexpected and untimely passing, as well as the last minute nature of these schedule changes, we ask for your patience as make the necessary changes to our schedule grids. As soon as the information is fully loaded, you will see them on our schedule pages. If you have trouble viewing the new information, kindly "refresh" your browser window.

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
I remember one night while flipping through channels, I see John being Jack Tripper on "Three's Company" at Nick at Nite, while on the next channel, he was playing a child abuser in a movie over at Lifetime. Talk about being versatile and good. And his guest appearance on last season's "Law & Order SVU" was extremely powerful and disturbing. No wonder NBC hyped that episode with "See John Ritter as you've never seen him before."

John was Emmy-nominated for his Buffy "Ted" guest appearance. He was also Emmy-nominated for his voiceover work for PBS' "Clifford the Big Red Dog".

No problem, Greg_S_H

Peter Mazur

Second Unit
Terribly sad news!!!

I was at a taping of "Three's A Crowd" in 1984. He was so funny between takes. I remember someone had put a gremlin in the microwave (Gremlins being the hot movie at the time), he started laughing so hard they had to re-shoot the scene. He was such a talented performer.

RIP John.

DanHaya

Second Unit
Terrible news! I heard it this morning when I woke up, along with the sad news of Johnny Cash's passing. This reminds me of the day that we lost both Sammy Davis Jr. and Jim Henson. :frowning:

I, like a lot of others here, grew up on Three's Company and enjoyed his comedic talents. I also enjoyed Hooperman, which was a great show in its own right...though unfortunately a ratings casualty.

He will be missed. My heart goes out to Amy and their family.

RIP Mr. Ritter

Peter Kline

Senior HTF Member
Incidentally, concerning Somers. John and Suzanne reconcilled a few months ago at the prompting of John's wife Amy Yasbeck. They were looking forward to working together again.

Don Black

Screenwriter
NY Times is reporting that ABC has 3 episodes of 8SR S2 in the can and were filming the fourth when...

Ray Chuang

Screenwriter
I for one am quite stunned at the extremely untimely passing of John Ritter.

Ritter--who spent much of his professional life living down the typecasting from playing Jack Tripper on Three's Company--had been doing extremely well with 8 Simple Rules lately--he literally carried that show.

This is not only a blow because the death was so untimely, but also a major blow to ABC because 8 Simple Rules was one of the highest-rated and critically-acclaimed shows on ABC's prime time schedule. Small wonder why Disney stock dropped 2% today.

Sad, just sad.

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
I was looking at Mr. Ritter's IMDB page and was shocked to see that I'd only ever seen 5 things he did, Hero At Large, Stay Tuned, Sling Blade, Panic and Tadpole, all of which I liked very much (especially Hero At Large and Sling Blade). I've never seen any of his TV appearances (not even Three's Company), but I'm sad that he won't be doing any more movies. I was already looking forward to Bad Santa, and now there's another, sadder, reason to look forward to it.

RIP John, and Johnny Cash.

Carlos_E

Stunt Coordinator
I don't get shaken up very easily but today is the exception.

Man, what a terrible day it has been for me from the moment I listened on the radio to the news.

I loved Three's Company. It is probably my favorite comedy sitcom of all time. John Ritter made me laugh so much.

I will also remember him as the actor who was in the movie where I have laughed the most in a movie theater. SKIN DEEP (1989). I have never laughed so hard either before 1989 or after during the showing of a movie at a theater. I could just not contain myself, specially the scene with the glow in the dark thingies and the fight between the 2 guys wearing them.

What a talented comedian. Great sense of humor. I will dearly miss him.

Take care John. Thank you for all the memories. You will not be forgotten.

Carlos

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
I couldn't have put it better myself, Carlos.

I've never felt so rattled by a celebrity death before.

I grew up during the 80's, watching Three's Company re-runs. Hell, I loved Problem Child. I watched Real Men weekly when I was 10.

Thank you, John.

Rob P S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
rob
What a shocking, unexpected tragedy. I haven't been bummed about a celebrity death since Carroll O'Connor died. Three's Company has been a favorite of mine since I was a kid, and even though I was only a casual watcher of 8 Simple Rules (frankly, I think the teenage son steals the show), John was his usual zany self and I thought the show had great promise. John was also brilliant in the wrenching TV movie Unnatural Causes - he matched Alfre Woodard scene for scene. RIP John, Johnny, and Warren.

:frowning:

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
i loved hero at large but i had totally forgotten a movie he was in around that time.

AMERICATHON
HE was the president in that one.
omg ANYTHING BUT LOVE was on 14 years ago?
i mention that because he appeared on it too.

rats, he was also dorian's dad on SCRUBS.

i have to say i'm thankful for this thread it is like therapy.

Gary->dee

Screenwriter
I loved Three's Company. It is probably my favorite comedy sitcom of all time.
You know, I thought about it for a second and yes, Three's Company would have to be my favorite sitcom too. It probably provided more laughs per episode than any current sitcom could do in an entire season. And really, John made it work so well. You could replace any of the women, but John was perfect and probably only person for that role. So much for the possibility of a reunion.

I won't be able to watch Three's Company again(watch it practially ever night on Nick at Nite) without a sense of sadness. I felt this way after Phil Hartman died too. It's a bad year when we lose Bob Hope and John Ritter, two extremely talented comedians. I can accept Hope's passing because he lived a full life, but this?

Too soon, way too damn soon.

*shakes head

John Kilduff

Screenwriter
I thought about Ritter and Cash's passings all day at work today...

My favorite John Ritter piece is "Stay Tuned", most memorably the scene where Ritter ends up in a Salt-N-Pepa music video. Funny stuff...

This may seem like an odd question, but with the movies he did, do you think he could end up in the Academy Awards "In Memoriam" montage next year?

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...

Morbid to ask, but he did some good movies.:frowning:

Edward Schatz

Second Unit
I am in that camp that doesn't get involved with celebrities but this one is truly heart breaking. My first experience with Mr. Ritter was watching the movie Problem Child (and some Three's Company reruns). He seemed like a genuine, good guy. Someone who doesn't get himself wrapped up in the self centered nature of Hollywood. I can just sense he loved what he did and liked making people happy. He will be sorely missed. :frowning:

Thanks John.

Ric Bagoly

Senior HTF Member
:frowning: :frowning: :frowning:

I think they will let the series run its course, good or bad. I remember when Redd Foxx died on the set of his show The Royal Family, which, like 8 Simple Rules, was a big hit and had been considered his "comeback". Sadly, after his passing, the show was retooled with Jackee becoming the new lead and it sank like a rock shortly thereafter. If nothing else, the episodes already filmed will be shown as a tribute, but I doubt it'll go anywhere after that...

Count me in as a big fan of Stay Tuned, Skin Deep, and the Problem Child films. A shocking tragedy...:frowning: :frowning: :frowning:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks