What's new

Jenson DR-1205 ??? Sub to speaker problem (1 Viewer)

pauld.nz

Grip
Hi i have a pair of great sounding floor standing Jensons but carnt find any specs on them. Model number is DR-1205. I have searched google many times and nothing seams to come up.

Does anyone have the specs or no where i could find them for the Jensons ?

I would love to have the specs , because all i know at the moment is that they r 8 ohm 130W RMS (max) speakers.

Question: I am running the Jensons at the front and 2 small 40W RMS aiwa's at the rear through a pioneer 110x5 prologic amp. The amp dosnt have settings for speaker size or distance between them. I have a brand new sony active 12" subwoofer (150watt) conbnected to the sub out in the amp. My question is, why carnt i here the sub over the Jensons. When i dissconnect them it sounds great (with the little aiwas) but the Jensons just seam to run it down.

What are my options ? I was told that you shouldnt turn the sub volume over half (in case of clipping) and i have played around with the frequencys.

I am getting a new amp soon (Kenwood 6.1 with DTS2 110x6) which has heps of settings including level controls for the sub. I want most of the bass to go through the sub taking the strain of the jensons.
If i adjust the speaker size, distance and levels for the speakers and up the levels for the sub with this new amp, will that make that much difference to the overall sound ?
I havnt tested it out yet for home theater. I wouldnt have bought it if it didnt sound so good in the shop. It got really good reveiws on the net too.

Steve Adams

Second Unit
make sure all speakers are set to small, then set sub to on, then you should be good to go...if the speakers are drwoning out the sub then, bring it back and get another one...something is not right.

pauld.nz

Grip
Yeah, well the demo one was pretty awesome, it definitly put a smile on my face anyway. I read the instructions and it stated under Line out that if the sub is not that loud, that you should run speker cable to the bank of the sub from the B terminals.

I suppose i could cross it over.
When i get my new amp, i will play around with it some more.I suspect that the sub is not getting enough bass or something.

pauld.nz

Grip
Well, I decided to do what I normally don't do and check the instruction manual. I found that under Line in (insulation) that if the response is very low at high volume, that it might be better to run cable from the front speaker (b) connection to the line in speaker connections on the sub.

The effect was amazing. The sub was really loud at under half volume. I was very impressed.

What I wanted to know, is whither wiring the sub in the B connections will initialize clipping of the Jensen’s ?
Also, does it matter that I have only wired the left channel of the Line in connections on the sub to the left channel of the (b) connections on the amp ?

Additionally, what is a good way to identify when you r pushing a sub too hard ? I have heard subs FLAP but I haven’t really pushed my new sub (since I alternatively wired it) very hard. The driver moves in and out quite a bit but it doesn’t sound like crap. It only moves about as much as the drivers on the Jensen’s used to why turned up loud.

I have set the frequency to about 150 and the phase on normal. I heard that it is a good idea to drop the frequency to about 80 when watching movies.

Any help would be really appreciated.

Steve Adams

Second Unit
yes this would work as you described but you loose the control of your receiver. but if you like it....GIVE'ER!

as long as you don't hear flapping and buzzin from your sub you should be ok......

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks