What's new

JAMES BOND ULTIMATE COLLECTION (1 Viewer)

John H Ross

Screenwriter

Well that's precisely what we'd like to find out, hence my request for some investigative research by those "with contacts".

I suspect the new versions ARE wrong, however, because - taking Goldeneye as an example - the new picture looks absolutely horrible in those screenshots. It isn't just mis-framed, it's blurry too!

And as for colours... well I doubt that Lowry has magically restored colour that was previously incorrect on VHS, LD and DVD. Not when you consider similar issues that arose over their Star Wars re-colouring.

Just my opinions obviously.

John

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
So we aren't sure there are problems? Well, DTS Digital Images/Lowry Digital Images are tooting their horn about these 20 Bond film restorations. Some of you might want to read the latest issue of Home Theater Magazine.

Crawdaddy

Jonathon M

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jonathon
Robert,

With all due respect, if Lowry weren't tooting their horn about this, then it'd be an admission of guilt. This set has been built up for quite a while, and some of the films have horrible problems in the visuals.

If these are the correct versions, then great. But I have a sneaking suspicion that there's been some screw ups.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I always hate it when somebody starts off a sentence "with all due respect".:) Anyhow, what are these horrible problems with the visuals based on? Also, this article was probably written before any of you have seen the latest non-Region 1 dvd release.

Jonathon M

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jonathon
The screenshots above have a pretty convincing look about them don't they?

Rest assured, when I get to check my Bond set out hopefully tomorrow, I'll be comparing them against the R1 SEs.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
As many can attest to, I'm not a big fan of judging dvd quality based on screenshots. I want to see the dvds run in realtime and on my display.

Crawdaddy

Eric Emma

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Eric H. Emma
I think Robert makes some good points, one is we're not the experts, though some of you seem to be quite knowledgeable so no disrespect intended and screen-shots can be misleading. I lurk these boards quite a bit and I've read all the arguments that come in and out of this place, and I'm reminded of the whole debacle revolving around the new Ben-Hur transfer being too yellow, well I bought the DVD, and though I'm an 18 year old who's never seen it in it's 35 MM glory, it looked fine to me. Also in regards to the framing issues, relooking at the screen-shots posted, it doesn't seem like any of the shots are really affected that much. I believe Robert Harris posted in another thread that there's no way for a viewer to know what's intended to be seen and what's not. In either case I'm not ruling out that there was a major screw up ala Back to the Future, but could it simply be that we're making a big thing out of nothing? But I digress only time will tell.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart

You know, MGM has had a record of getting framing wrong with their older DVDs. Obviously, the first three Bond films are incorrectly 1.78:1 instead of 1.66:1. Species and The Great Escape were grossly misframed to the point of exposing a ton of picture information intended to be cropped. It wouldn't surprise me if these are more accurate to the intended framing.

As for color, a lot of these look like someone hit the "auto color correct" button in Photoshop. Then again, the old DVD for Goldfinger looks awful, so it may be correct after all.

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug

This is exactly what some of us have been trying to say with little affect to the vociferous region 2 complainants most of whom don't seem to have bought the discs and are judging them purely by screen-shots. Having bought and viewed some of these remastered versions I think they look and sound absolutely marvellous.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Let me say a couple more things here. I don't know if these discs are framed correctly or that the color is right? I'm all for taking a studio to task for releasing a sub-par dvd, but we need to be right regarding our criticism just like the studios need to be right in producing high quality products. My purpose for asking questions is to see if there really is a problem because like many of you, I want to buy all of these films again, no matter the video format. Hopefully, we'll find out the truth so all of us can make a good purchasing decision.

Crawdaddy

Dharmesh C

Supporting Actor

I agree, screenshots can't be conclusive evidence but surely something has gone wrong? On some, the differences are night and day on the R2. Unless the film-maker or someone closely involved with these films was able to sign-off, I think we might have a problem here. I guess it's best we wait for the R1.

John H Ross

Screenwriter

And we'll find out the truth by... buying the 20 discs? Lovely. Well to all those who buy the R1 discs (myself included) and are disappointed (demanding a recall, whatever) because they display the same alterations as the R2 discs, don't say we didn't warn you!

As for Lowry boasting about their work... I'm sure they boasted about the incorrect lightsabre colouring on Star Wars too. In fact look at how Lucasfilm talked Star Wars up in general... and look at (or rather listen to) all the mistakes that we, the humble consumer, have to put up with.

Frankly I don't believe a word of the hype and we really, really, really shouldn't have to put up with it!

John

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
John,
If you think there is a PQ problem then don't buy them until you get confirmation that all is well. Otherwise, I don't know what else to tell you because it appears we are still wondering if there are framing and color issues.

Crawdaddy

Frank@N

Screenwriter
I share your skepticism and concern about spending a large sum of money on questionable transfers (along with dubious new extras and dull menus..OK, that's my concern).

It's a shame that all 20 new Bond transfers don't appear to be of the same quality as Dr. No and From Russia with Love.

Did more corners get cut as the team tried to rush through 20 movies?

Luckily, we now know that there might be issues with these releases and most HTF readers won't make blind buys.

I'm glad I have a complete SE collection right now.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I'm still really shocked that the American release is being split up into stupid bundles. Like I said before, I want to watch them in order from the first Bond film to the last. This may be the biggest blunder MGM has ever made. Just in time for Christmas, it would sell like crazy if it were complete w/ all Bond films. Instead we have a Bond film here, and a Bond film there. I really think people will most likely ignore these sets. I picked up The Planet of The Apes Ultimate collection(14 discs) that has everything included, and a cool package to boot for $87.00 at Deepdiscountdvd a few weeks ago, and that indeed is an ULTIMATE COLLECTION. For the American release I think the James Bond Ultimate collection should be changed to the JAmes Bond grab bag. Am I happy All James Bonds films are being released by May of 2007 ...yes, but talk about poor decisions in marketing. JEEPERS!!!

dailW

Stunt Coordinator
just read over at home theater forum that fox will handle the bond flicks.
so i know lowery did the job. i think fox puts out great looking dvds so i am looking forward to them.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
I've watched most of the new Bond set, they looked great to me. Goldfinger has never looked this good since it's 1964 release. Even GoldenEye which has had some hysterically over-the-top reviews on it's PQ looked perfectly acceptable, but than I wasn't directly comparing it to my previous copy, staring at a poor quality screenshot or watching it on a 100' screen. I just sat down put my feet up and enjoyed the movie.

The Bonds have certainly never sounded this good before, even the recent Brosnan Bonds sound better than ever.

Re the bundled R1 sets I can't understand, if they have to bundle them do them by decade, the sixties, seventies, eighties e.g. chronological order, don't they give a crap?

Jonathon M

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jonathon
My case arrived today, and I had enough time to check out one movie tonight.

Dr No was a true pleasure to watch, until my amp started to crap out with a message of "Protect! Push Power!" so either a) I need to sort out the power points in my lounge room (which yes, is overloaded), or b) take the bastard in for repair.

Jim*F

Stunt Coordinator
Commanderbond.net is reporting that the final 10 DVDs will be released in 2 sets on December 12:

Vol 3: FRWL, OHMSS, LALD, FYEO, Goldeneye

Vol 4: Dr. No, YOLT, Moonraker, Octopussy, TND

Well, that's nice that we won't have to wait until May 2007! Now if all 20 films will be released in 4 5-film sets by December, will we also have the option to buy the attache case megaset like the rest of the world??

Frank@N

Screenwriter
Guess this makes it official for R1 (posted at the Bits):

"First up on 11/7, Fox will release MGM's The James Bond Ultimate Collection - Volume 1 (SRP $89.98, including The Man with the Golden Gun, Goldfinger, The World Is Not Enough, Diamonds Are Forever and The Living Daylights) and The James Bond Ultimate Collection - Volume 2 (SRP $89.98, including A View to a Kill, Thunderball, Die Another Day, The Spy Who Loved Me and License to Kill)."

I might as well stop reading about the UEs, I'm not buying random Bond sets again.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks