What's new

JAMES BOND ULTIMATE COLLECTION (2 Viewers)

Jonathon M

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jonathon
ahh, and come monday when it arrives, i'll be revelling in my 20 movie 40 disc attache case.

with a free 007 pocket knife too!

sometimes it makes all the overseas ordering on single titles worthwhile... :P

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
I don't care at all about an attache case... but I won't be buying any of these until they are offered properly either allowing buyers to chose from all of the individual titles, or releasing them all together as one definitive collection and not in random seperate bundlings like this.

Jonathon M

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jonathon
so marco, not trying to agitate you, but you admit you'd purchase the collection if it was one big set, but refused to purchase the four individual collections?

i can understand not buying the box sets if you were after a few specific ones, but i can't understand the acknowledgement that you'd buy the 20 film set if it was available in region one...

is it merely "the principle of it all", or am i missing your point entirely?

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
No... it's the value first, and the fact that I'd have all the entries in the "series" that I'd otherwise be interested in purchasing available together in one shot as opposed to buying a bunch of seperate randomly packaged sets with the very likely possibility that one "deluxe" collection would eventually surface down the line anyway. Not to mention the hesitation in the uncertainty of future releases of specific anticipated titles and quality, etc.

An "Ultimate Collection" should not consist of a few randomly packaged movies of varying quality. It should best represent the film and franchise that bears it's name in the most fitting manor... through the features, extras, packaging and overall value, etc. I just have no interest at this time with the way Sony is issuing these.

And it's no secret that they are clearly packaging the weakest of the Bond films alongside the strongest. I'd be more prone to spending my money on a product that's 50% great if it allowed me access too all the quality features that I hoped for, rather than seperate box sets that are only half good and still not all that I'm after. It's a smart way to raise the price tags though, by forcing consumers to spend more on each set as opposed to one definitive collection at a better value... which is available elsewhere.

Jonathon M

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jonathon
the sets are $65US, right? four of them will be issued? that's $260.

the UK box set goes for 300 pounds, and the total cost of the US releases in about sterling is 138 pounds.

at the discounted amazon UK rate of 210 pounds, the US equivalent would be around $390US.

if you consider what the US are getting to be an unreasonable deal, either that case is worth $125US dollars to you, or you're just pissed that the attache case isn't happening in the US.

personally, im paying the equivilent of $75US more for the packaging, as australia has both a hard case listed at $300AU or the attache case at $400AU.

And hey, if the you bought the ultiumate box set of 20 films, you'd still get stuck with the same films that you don't like, as if you bought the four box sets coming to the US. a shitty film is a shitty film.

hmmm... i hope this makes sense to people (the figures, etc).

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I really think MGM is messing up the USA release, as all the Bond volumes would make a perfect Christmas gift for casual fans like myself, and Bond fanatics. I want to watch all the Bond films in order, and have no interest whatsoever in those terrible bundles that jump all over the place.

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
What about On Her Majesty's Secret Service? That film's stature has risen quite a bit over the years, and should've been included in Set II instead of the crappy A View To A Kill. O.H.M.S.S. has one of the best screenplays of the series and an unforgettable Diana Rigg as the only woman to become Mrs. James Bond. And George Lazenby isn't that bad as 007, either! I've also heard there was a scene missing from the current DVD, so now is the time to correct this siuation.

Jake Yenor

Stunt Coordinator
It's not like they aren't releasing it. It will be out in May. They broke up popular ones so people will buy both waves in Nov and May. Nov gets popular titles like Goldfinger, Thunderball, & The Spy Who Loved Me.

May gets From Russia With Love, Dr. No, & Goldeneye.

These are the 10 in Nov:

Goldfinger
Thunderball
Diamonds Are Forever
The Man With The Golden Gun
The Spy Who Loved Me
A View To A Kill
The Living Daylights
Licence To Kill
The World Is Not Enough
Die Another Day

The 10 in May:

Dr. No
From Russia With Love
You Only Live Twice
O.H.M.S.S.
Live And Let Die
Moonraker
For Your Eyes Only
Octopussy
GoldenEye
Tomorrow Never Dies

Patrick H.

Second Unit
Oh man...random staggered bundles AGAIN?! Why can't they just release these films all individually, all at the same time?! There are still Bonds I've never had the chance to get because I've only found them bundled in a box with ones I don't want and ones I already have. If they MUST be in boxed sets, at least get creative with them. Break them up by decade or something. The only positive of this current plan is that perhaps by May they'll have fixed the framing issues on GoldenEye, but I'm not holding my breath...

Jason Adams

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Roger Jason Adams
I've been wanting to get that attache case for the longest. Ah well, I'm gonna sell of those titles in my collection coming in the first wave...but I've been looking forward to a better version of Moonraker for the longest, and I have to wait till MAY? :frowning:

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Frankly, at Christmas time, I'm not plunking down $90 or whatever it's going to be for a franchise I'm interested in but don't love. Someone mucked this one up badly. You get more people buying the discs if they have the choice of picking one or two over an entire box.

Marketing is asleep at the wheel, it sounds like.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
If the menus are simpler on these new discs, that's almost enough to make me want to rebuy. :) The whole "Activiate your DVD now" thing is kinda cute the first time, and really obnoxious for every viewing since.

If they released all of the films in a single set, I'd be inclined to rebuy. If they released them individually, I'd probably pick up at least a handful of them. Hell, if these smaller sets were in order of release, I wouldn't mind buying in waves. But this just sucks. Maybe in May they'll make a full set? I don't care about the packaging so much as not wanting to get the movies bundled like this.

Bummer.

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member
I'm glad my wife is such a huge Bond fan and will probably want all of them because these bundles would otherwise make me want to stick my head in an oven. If it was up to me, I'd only get the Connery films and OHMSS individually and happily leave the rest.

James@R

Second Unit
Actually, they must be pretty happy with the bundled approach, considering that's how they've always released them.

John H Ross

Screenwriter
Well... if OHMSS and Goldeneye aren't coming out until May, doesn't this give them time to fix all the framing/colouring problems that have been reported? It's a golden opportunity I would have thought...

Or am I being ridiculously optimistic?

John

PS. Sod the attache case, the discs would only fall about inside it anyway. Yep, I've seen it in the flesh and it's overrated. I'd rather have decent versions of the films!!

Jonathon M

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jonathon

To be honest, I hope not. While Sony Australia seem to be shit at QC and replacing discs, Sony UK has a larger market to cater for, and I'm sure with Bond being a British icon, that any replacements will be issued in Britain, enough to get Australia sorted as well.

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member

This is incorrect. While the bundled approach has always been how they have initially released them, the last incarnation of these films on DVD were released individually after being bundled, unless I am having some kind of extremely vivid hallucination that includes distinct memories of seeing them at Best Buy that way.

Anyway, whether its waiting for HD or waiting for individual releases, the end result for me is waiting. Thankfully, I was smart enough to realize that Sony would pull something like this, and I hung onto my Connery and Lazenby Bonds.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks