What's new

JAMES BOND ULTIMATE COLLECTION (1 Viewer)

MielR

Advanced Member
Real Name
MielR
The frames you speak of in the Oddjob car scene are NOT MISSING in the Criterion LD of Goldfinger (I'll have to check for the other scene with the binoculars, though).

The frames in the car scene are present, but they just jiggle a bit in the gate (like maybe there was some sprocket damage?)

As far as other DVD editions go- I believe the frames are also missing from the previous DVD release (the SE).

I don't understand why they would do a 4K restoration using a source that had obviously missing frames. Could they not have replaced the frames using another source if they were too badly damaged to be scanned?????

brioni

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brian

The jump isn’t a flaw in the UE.

Although i’ve never seen it in the cinema, it's been there in every video and TV version i’ve seen over the last 20 years.

Lyle_JP

Screenwriter

As I mentioned earlier in the thread, jump cuts are common to the early Bonds, with Hunt using them deliberately to heighten action, or to cut two takes of the same scene together where there was no good insert. As Hunt mentions on the audio commentary from The Criterion Collection's "Dr. No" disc, Terence Young tended to shoot very quickly, with usually just one master shot and very few over-the-shoulder or two-shots. Hunt would complain endlessly to Young that he didn't shoot enough coverage, to which Young would often reply, "You'll make it work." Usually, Hunt did.

-Lyle J.P.

Eric Gripp

Agent
Thanks for the replies everyone. It sounds as though most of the missing frames I pointed out were editing decisions but a couple were maybe damage to original negative (like Oddjob's car turning corner). Good to know it's not the Ultimate Editions.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
I've been wanting to own the BOND films on DVD for the longest time, but my ONLY interest is in the Connery and Lazenby titles, and the way that FOX has been issuing these to DVD is horrendous. When will individual releases or chronological sets be issued with ALL available extras, top-image and sound quality that's free of error and priced to match? Would it also be too much to assume that the iconic original poster art work be used rather than the ugly rehashed Photoshop covers to sell these films?

If the studio could get these RIGHT on BluRay, that might be the incentive and push I need to finally upgrade to high-def!

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
Restricting the 2-disc UC titles to box-sets has not endeared consumers to the Bond producers, who make all decisions about how the DVD's are packaged and sold. I stopped by Best Buy one day and was surprised to find the UC box-sets on sale for $25. That's five 2-disc sets at $5 apiece in a box-set. I had put off buying them, hoping the 2-disc Connery titles would be released separately. But after two years, this seemed more and more unlikely. Meanwhile the single-disc editions flooded the market at sell-through prices while the demand for 2-disc titles was being addressed by sellers on amazon and ebay who simply broke up the UC box-sets and sold the films for about $20 each. So, $25 for a UC box-set meant that I could get all the Connerys plus the Lazenby for less than what it would cost to cherry-pick them individually on ebay or amazon. Otherwise, I would not buy the later films.

Fortunately, there's every indication that the films are being released individually in Blu-ray. No doubt with the same trivializing cover-art.

Chris Gerhard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris Gerhard

I purchased all four 5 film DVD box sets and haven't even gotten around to watching half of the films. Amazon had 6 films on Blu-ray for less than $11 each so I purchased those 6. I was wondering what I would do with the 2-disc DVD sets of those same films and now I hope I can get something for them on eBay. I had planned to get by with the DVD's but I didn't think I could buy the Blu-ray versions for less than $11 a film.

Chris

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks