What's new

Apple TV+ iTunes - Past Purchases (1 Viewer)

stringbean

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Snorbitz
Here in the UK, I've noticed that I can still stream or download my episodes of Lost In Space (the original series) that I purchased ten years ago via iTunes. I can now watch these as well via the Apple TV app. However, they are no longer available to purchase or stream by anyone else, (on the UK Store), that didn't get them at the time. Does this mean that Apple(UK) no longer have the Rights and if so, doesn't this negate the view that once a streaming service loses Rights and takes them off their store, you lose access too?

I was always under the impression that you could lose your right to stream or download past purchases if the provider no longer has access to the titles themselves.

Could it be that Apple still has the Rights to Lost In Space(In HD), on their US store which still allows me to download or stream my past purchases here in the UK?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Here in the UK, I've noticed that I can still stream or download my episodes of Lost In Space (the original series) that I purchased ten years ago via iTunes. I can now watch these as well via the Apple TV app. However, they are no longer available to purchase or stream by anyone else, (on the UK Store), that didn't get them at the time. Does this mean that Apple(UK) no longer have the Rights and if so, doesn't this negate the view that once a streaming service loses Rights and takes them off their store, you lose access too?

I was always under the impression that you could lose your right to stream or download past purchases if the provider no longer has access to the titles themselves.

Could it be that Apple still has the Rights to Lost In Space(In HD), on their US store which still allows me to download or stream my past purchases here in the UK?
I have several, and I mean several movies in which they're no longer available for purchase on iTunes, but yet, are still available in my iTunes Digital Library for me to stream or download. This is not a UK or US issue. I don't think I ever lost the right to stream or download any of my past purchases here in the States. However, I do know that iTunes purchases are specific to the area in which you purchased it.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
That is because people who don’t like streaming spread a lot of FUD and disinformation and maybe even lies that everyone is DOOOMED and will lose their digital media randomly.

But it’s not so.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
I got the original "That's Entertainment" movie from VUDU when they had the get a digtal copy when you have a disc for a few dollars. This is no longer available for streaming from VUDU or Itunes. I still have access with VUDU but it is not on my Moviesanywhere account or Itunes even though its a Warner Bros release.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I got the original "That's Entertainment" movie from VUDU when they had the get a digtal copy when you have a disc for a few dollars. This is no longer available for streaming from VUDU or Itunes. I still have access with VUDU but it is not on my Moviesanywhere account or Itunes even though its a Warner Bros release.

Was it ever actually transferred to your MoviesAnywhere and iTunes accounts and then disappeared from them?

I wonder... since it was originally an MGM movie whether it's (at least its streaming rights) still owned by MGM or maybe there's a dispute over it that prevents it from being available now (or ever during the few years of MoviesAnywhere's existence so far). I do see the sequels on MoviesAnywhere though...

_Man_

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Was it ever actually transferred to your MoviesAnywhere and iTunes accounts and then disappeared from them?

I wonder... since it was originally an MGM movie whether it's (at least its streaming rights) still owned by MGM or maybe there's a dispute over it that prevents it from being available now (or ever during the few years of MoviesAnywhere's existence so far). I do see the sequels on MoviesAnywhere though...

_Man_
No I got it when Movies Anywhere was Disney Movies Anywhere and limited to Disney only.
I seem to be mistaken or its recently been added as all the That's Entertainment films are currently available on Itunes for $9.99 each in HD. While only the second and third movies are available on MovieAnywhere.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Its been a while since I traveled out of country. Can you stream iTunes purchases and redeemed digital code movies when overseas or do you need to download them in advance of leaving? Same question for HBOMAX, Netflix, Disney Plus etc, are they accessable when outside the US for US subscribers?

Thanks

Not exactly what this thread is about but I got an error message when I tried to post a new thread.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Its been a while since I traveled out of country. Can you stream iTunes purchases and redeemed digital code movies when overseas or do you need to download them in advance of leaving? Same question for HBOMAX, Netflix, Disney Plus etc, are they accessable when outside the US for US subscribers?

Thanks

Not exactly what this thread is about but I got an error message when I tried to post a new thread.

My understanding is generally no. Most of them have some different versions/sites (probably w/ different licensing for offerings, etc) outside the US. I understand some overseas might try using VPN to establish US proxy access though, so you might consider doing that -- I've never tried myself...

_Man_

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
Can you stream iTunes purchases and redeemed digital code movies when overseas or do you need to download them in advance of leaving? Same question for HBOMAX, Netflix, Disney Plus etc, are they accessable when outside the US for US subscribers?
I think it depends on the title and who controls the distribution rights for that country.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW

Thanks

My understanding is generally no. Most of them have some different versions/sites (probably w/ different licensing for offerings, etc) outside the US. I understand some overseas might try using VPN to establish US proxy access though, so you might consider doing that -- I've never tried myself...

_Man_

One thing. You also mentioned downloading over here to be watched while overseas. I suppose that could work... unless those apps actually try to verify access rights, licensing (or whatever else) against their servers when you use/watch the downloads. In that case, you might try using them in airplane mode (or simply w/out internet access) here to make sure -- and then, maybe use/watch them that way overseas to further ensure.

Not sure about most services, but I've previously found that Vudu's Windoze app sometimes try/require momentary internet access to verify such and might render downloaded content invalid/inaccessable if no internet access at all... though it's not usually a problem...

_Man_

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug

Thanks

Use a VPN and connect to a U.S.-based server while you're out of the country. Whatever streaming service you're using will then see your IP address as being in the States and you can stream away as if you were here.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks