IT HAPPENED ONE CHRISTMAS

Discussion in 'DVD' started by RetroPete, Sep 4, 2006.

1. RetroPete

RetroPete Auditioning

...okay, okay, --I know this is heresy to some, but I enjoyed this film and was captivated by Thomas, Leachman and Welles. Christopher Guest even has a small part.

I don't think this has ever been released, even on tape, and was wondering if anyone has heard any rumblings about a release or possible release. It was broadcast on ABC, I think in 1977 or '78.

...and yes, it will NEVER replace the original.

Start throwing tomatoes.

Peter [​IMG]

2. Garysb

Garysb Screenwriter

For those who do not know, this was a TV remake of "Its A Wonderful Life" with Marlo Thomas in the James Stewart role and Wayne Rogers in the Donna Reed role. Cloris Leachman is the Angel , and Orsen Welles is Old Man Potter .

This probably should be in the TV section.

3. Brian W.

Brian W. Screenwriter

Brian
    This should be in the TV section.

But I loved "It Happened One Christmas" when I was a kid -- I actually saw it before I saw "It's a Wonderful Life." Don't know how much I'd like it now. But I'd buy it if it was released on DVD.

I also wouldn't mind seeing a release of the TV movie of "Miracle on 34th Street," with Sebastian Cabot as Santa Claus.

4. RetroPete

RetroPete Auditioning

I too saw it before I saw the original, perhaps that's why I was allowed to like it.

Besides having a pretty strong cast, including Doris Roberts; it was shot by Conrad Hall, has a really nice score by Stephen Lawrence and heck, throw in a few matte paintings by Al Whitlock for some small screen magic...

I saw a portion of this recently, and though I know now the story has been streamlined somewhat, I thought it held up pretty well, with some nice moments.

But no DVD.

5. Steve Armbrust

Steve Armbrust Second Unit

No tomatoes here, either. I saw it on TV originally too, and loved it. I still have a recorded-from-TV VHS tape that I dig out at Christmastime. I would love to have this on DVD.

6. Rodney

Rodney Supporting Actor
    Supporter

This would have been a nice extra on the new 60th Anniversary IAWL coming out.