What's new

Is the Pioneer 811 to powerful for 80 Watt Speakers? (1 Viewer)

RyanSinclaire

Auditioning
Even if I play them at lower levels, will my speakers still be damaged since they are only rated at 80 watts, and the pioneer is a 100x6 receiver. Thanks in advance for helping a nooB.

Paul Clarke

Supporting Actor
Hello Ryan,

No, they should not be damaged. FYI, the 811 will likely output near a 100W max. in Stereo only but not in multi-channel...this will probably be closer to your speakers rating or less. I know the 811 was tested but I can't remember offhand the multi-channel result.

In general speakers like power and can take a good deal of it. It is much more difficult to damage speakers with too much power than it is with too little.

When listening at high volumes keep an ear tuned for any audible distortion on peak passages. Make a note of the volume setting and try not to go above it in the future.

DonJ

Second Unit
the pioneer will not put out 100w/channel not even in stereo the only way you are going to see that number is do what pioneer did to come up with it power only one channel
and you might see it. what you really see is more like 20w/c in 5.1 and 35-45 in stereo.

ThomasL

Supporting Actor
Paul, the Pioneer was tested by a fellow forum member, NormanL, at a lab along with the Onkyo SR600, and the Yamaha 5560. The Pioneer put out somewhere around 70 watts a channel with all 5 channels driven if I remember correctly. Both the Yamaha and Onkyo were somewhere around 30-35 watts/channel with all 5 driven.

Ryan, you don't have to worry about hurting your speakers playing at low levels. For starters, the Pioneer is not putting out 100 watts/channel with all channels driven. Second, receivers only put out the wattage necessary given the amplification level. i.e. playing at low levels, depending on your room size, where you listen from, etc. the receiver may only be putting out 1 or 2 watts/channel. The one thing you might notice is that at low volume levels, the sound is thin, especially with music. Some people have told me this can be a product of the speaker where they need a certain wattage level to really perform well especially with bass. With the Pioneer, this seems even more true. Try the Midnight or Loudness mode if listening at lower levels and the sound seems thin.

cheers,

--tom

Brian Burgoyne

Second Unit
More important for the 811 is the ohm rating of your speakers. I tried using 6 ohm Dahlquists and the 811 kept saying overload and shutting off. What are your speakers and are they 8 ohm?

Paul Clarke

Supporting Actor
Thomas,
Thanks for the memory prod.:) I tell you short term memory just starts to go when you start crowding 50.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks