What's new

Is Sony reissuing "Lawrence of Arabia" and "Bridge on the River Kwai"? (1 Viewer)

mike--

Stunt Coordinator
Jean, if that is the layer change, why would it occurr so early on in the film? Maybe for time compression?--it's a long film at over 160 minutes. This I don't know. I watched the whole film and didn't notice any other 'glitches' like that though.

Jean Paul Villeneuve

Second Unit

The Bridge on the River Kwai: Limited Edition (1957)

One additional point about the movie portion of the DVD: it had the longest layer change I’ve yet witnessed, and the oddest one, too. It occurred at the end of chapter 18, right at the 1:21:16 point. The pause was a good second longer than any other I’ve seen. It’s a weird change because the movie actually goes to a different “track” after the layer switch; the film starts on “title 2” and resets both time and chapters. This means you can’t go back to any prior chapters unless you return to the main menu. Why didn’t the DVD continue on the normal path? I have no clue. It’s not a big deal, I suppose, but it sure seemed strange. It also makes chapter selection difficult; the booklet refers to 40 separately-numbered chapters, but we only get 1-18 and 1-22.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I'm going to be very patient with both of these titles and will buy them again only on Blu-ray. By tomorrow night, I'll have both of these recorded in HD from HDNet Movie channel and that will do me until then.

Crawdaddy

mike kaminski

Second Unit
Real Name
mike kaminski

LOA in high-def.
htf_images_smilies_rock.gif

Lucky you!

willyTass

Supporting Actor

correct- i have the PAL 2 disc superbit and it has slightly better picture quality than this re-issue

how much of that is due to 576 vs 480 i can't say

by the way , the re-issue only has the special features on disc 2

If u got the superbit DO NOT UPGRADE

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S

I'd be curious to hear your thoughts on the HD version of Bridge. I recently saw the theatrical re-release print from a few years ago ('98?) on the big screen and was disappointed in the quality of the picture.

mike--

Stunt Coordinator
I just watched it on HD Net and it looks absolutely STUNNING!!.......amazing picture quality, eons above the SD re-release!! I can't wait to get this on Blu-ray when it becomes available.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks