What's new

Is Sony reissuing "Lawrence of Arabia" and "Bridge on the River Kwai"? (1 Viewer)

RATLSNAKE

Agent
I own the R4 2-disc collectors editions of both these films, and I have to say they are awesome for such old films. Granted Kwai has more film artifacts, but the movie is now 50 years old so who can complain. I'd love to see Lawrence in HD.

MielR

Advanced Member
Real Name
MielR
I've read the whole scene as well, and I agree that it would be great to see the entire scene. The way the film cuts into the scene now, it does seem a bit abrupt- it's obvous that there was something going on previous to what we're shown.

When the HD disc is put together, I hope they give Mr. Harris an opportunity to reinstate the whole scene, like he has wanted to do for so long.

Should we start writing letters to Sony now? ;) It couldn't hurt!

Casey C.

Stunt Coordinator
So let me get this straight: this new LoA is a reissue of the 2001 two-disc LE release, and does NOT have the 2003 RAH Superbit video? Do I have that right?

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
The new street date is 5/8/07. Here's what Sony says is included. It's apparent that the Superbit version is not part of this release.

SPECIAL FEATURES:
• "DVD-ROM Features: Archives of Arabia: Historic Photographs That Take You Behind-the-Scenes Part 1 & Part 2, Journey with Lawrence: Interactive Map of the Middle East"
• "Four Original Featurettes: Maan, Jordan: The Camels are the Cast, In Search of Lawrence, Romance of Arabia, and Wind, Sand and Star: The Making of a Classic"
• "Subtitles: English, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Chinese, Korean, Thai"
• A Conversation with Steven Spielberg
• Advertising Campaigns
• Animated and Interactive Menus
• Audio: English 5.1 (Dolby Digital) and 2-Channel (Dolby Surround)
• Digitally Mastered Audio & Anamorphic Video
• Exclusive Documentary: The Making of Lawrence of Arabia
• Original Newsreel Footage of the New York Premiere
• Scene Selections with Motion Images
• Talent Files
• Theatrical Trailers
• Widescreen Presentation

Announce Date: 2/26/2007
Order Date: 4/5/2007
Street Date: 5/8/2007
Rating: PG
Run Time: 226
Screen Format(s): Anamorphic (2.20:1)
Language(s): English: 5.1
Subtitle(s): Chinese (Mandarin Traditional), English (US), French (Parisian), Korean, Portuguese (Brazil), Spanish (Latin Am), Thai

Patrick H.

Second Unit
While the authoring is obviously different, they still could be utilizing the Superbit transfer for this release, since it is by far the best one they have to date. In addition to the huge picture improvements, the Superbit also had a far superior soundtrack (in both DD and DTS) taken directly from the restoration elements. The 5.1 track on the original disc was a remix, with incorrect edits made in the score at a few points.

If they DO make use of the Superbit transfer as the basis for this release, with the disc break actually at the intermission, I could see upgrading for the supplements. If it's a rehash of the older transfer then it's a waste of time.

Stephen PI

Supporting Actor

No, you are not. There is still the presence of DVNR dirt removal. I dread to think that this was applied in the original telecine session and that we will probably have to live with it.

Patrick H.

Second Unit
Since we're pretty close to the release date now and 'The Caine Mutiny' has just been confirmed as an updated transfer, has anybody seen any reviews or been able to snag early copies of these two?

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Here's hoping they'll go back and do a 1080p transfer from 70mm elements for the inevitable BD release.

Patrick H.

Second Unit
Hmm, I see now on Amazon that both 'Lawrence' and 'Kwai' are indeed no longer available for pre-order. The other two concurrent releases, 'Caine Mutiny' and 'Guns of Navarone' are apparently still on.

Strange, since they've already shifted the dates on these once...perhaps they're pushing them back until they finalize a date for the Blu-Ray versions. At any rate, two less potential upgrades to ponder this month.

Greg_M

Screenwriter
have these been cancelled? How is the picture quailty on the old/existing "Bridge on the River Kwai"?

Jrf2

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
James
I think I'll stick with my 2-disc Limited Edition, even with its flawed picture quality. I just wish my Superbit hadn't quit working on me. Hopefully the Blu-Ray will come next year, as forecasted.

Ed Moroughan

Second Unit
Real Name
Edward R. Moroughan
I'd like to know if "Lawrence" is the SB transfer or not...I've never gotten around to buying the DVD. They wouldn't spring for a new transfer for the SuperBit and then re-release the DVD without that transfer would they?

Jrf2

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
James
For those who didn't pick up the SB, I'd hope so, but I have a feeling it's going to be just a repackaging of 2001 2-disc. Hopefully not, though.

Tim_P_76

Second Unit
Real Name
Timothy J. Parkans
Amazon does show footage from a new making of documentary. The footage is from 1989 of O Toole looping his lines for the new director's cut. Shockingly prisitne video from 1989.

PaulP

Senior HTF Member

Amazon does state the following: "Newly restored - pristine audio & picture quality! Exclusive making of documentary, a conversation with Steven Spielberg, four original featurettes, New York Premiere, advertising campaigns."

Casey C.

Stunt Coordinator
Extras listed on Sony's website are identical to those on the LE:

Current LE

New CE

My guess is that this is the same as the LE, just repackaged for Sony's "Columbia Classics" series. "Newly restored -- pristine audio & picture quality!" could refer to the 1989 restoration, not the RAH-supervised Superbit.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rekhasharmatdiu
Recent bookmarks