What's new
World Wide Stereo

Input 1 and 2 (1 Viewer)

gypsyrose

Auditioning
Real Name
Edie
I hope I am in the right area. More important, I hope I can explain this :)

I have a an Optimus Stav-3680 Audio/Video receiver 5 channel equal power output that says on the front VCR Tape 1; DVD/TV; LD/Sat; CD; Tuner; Phono and Tape 2 monitor. Plus I have a Magnavox VHS/DVD player all connected to my big screen TV. My problem is this:

I use the vcr to record a movie from the TV. When I turn on the TV it says INPUT 1 480i Standard and that's what I watch regular TV on. When I set up to timer record I have to press the INPUT button on the TV remote up once and it says INPUT 2 480i Standard. Then I can use the vhs/dvd player menu to set the timer record. But, here's the problem when I go to INPUT 2 the volume changes - in order to hear it I have to jack the volume up to 62. So the vcr records the movie at that volume of course.

Did this make sense? I hope so. Does anyone know why this happens?

Thank you for any/all help.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Hi Edie.

The problem is your VHS/DVD player is wired to 2 different inputs on your TV:

INPUT1 - VHS wires
INPUT2 - DVD wires

Even if it is 1 box - the output wires are like you have 2 separate box's.

The menu system in the box comes out the DVD wires. Check the manual to see if you can change this.

Sound problems: Everyone notices when switching from VHS to DVD that they have to turn the volume up for DVD's. There is 2 reasons for this:
  • VHS sound is artifically high
  • DVD sound can swing in a much greater range from quiet to loud than a VHS tape. For the same volume position - DVD's sound quieter

Could I make a recomendation? Call your cable company and get a cable box that includes a DVR/PVR feature like Tivo. You will find that you never touch your VCR again. The hard-drive recorders are much nicer/faster/easier to use and you never have to set the time. In my home, the VCR is in a closet and we almost never watch live TV.

Also, since your TV says things like "480i", I assume it is a HD TV? Many cable companies are offering HD PVR box's. It's very nice and very cool.

Hope this helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samrinriya
Recent bookmarks