What's new

INDEPENDENCE DAY RESURGENCE| Exclusive Images and Title Treatment (1 Viewer)

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I am really sort of mad about the "powers-that-be" deciding to bring in a much younger, blonde to play the role that Mae Whitman did in the original. It really feels like they wanted "someone prettier". Which is complete BS.

I know that she was a kid in the first one, but it isn't like she has never acted again. In fact, she has worked a lot since then, even being the lead in a movie.

I first heard about this while listening to the Nerdist podcast. One of the guest they had on was friends with Mae and mentioned that she was not even asked if she wanted to do it. I know it is 3rd hand info, but if that is true, it is pretty tacky.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Still very curious to know how Spiner survived the first movie. Maybe this will give them an excuse to release the extended edition of the original on blu ray?

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
And the trailer just dropped for ID5:

The first one was a dumb, jingoistic braindead piece of fluff - but by gum was it entertaining! It was the last good thing that Roland Emmerich has done - and it’s just as slightly as good at the first, I shall enjoy myself.

Also - the up shot of the new one? ID4 is getting a sexed up blu ray release. The new one could suck and I’ll still be okay with this.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
"They like to get the landmarks" :laugh:

Looks like it'll be a great popcorn movie. Looking forward to it.
Yeah, I love that line. It's a poke in the ribs at most every disaster movie ever made. when did a movie ever confine itself to obscure targets.

Still want to know how Brent Spiner survived the first movie. Bet it has a lot to do with salary. :)

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
I'm so in the bag for this. Call it nostalgia or whatever, but I still like INDEPENDENCE DAY a lot, and think it is easily Emmerich's best film. This looks as fun and goofily-earnest as the original, and while I have seen enough CGI buildings topple to last me 3 lifetimes, the spectacle looks pretty impressive (though I will miss the practical FX work of the original).

He's also, dare I say it, a better filmmaker than Snyder or Bay (and I mostly like those two dudes, mostly). Like, the plots of his movies may sometimes be dumb, but they're pretty coherent, and you don't have to spend an hour unpacking the plot and figuring out everyone's motivations.

He's also pretty good at linking the setpieces together in a way that makes sense, and when it comes time to wreck shit, he favors epic wide-shots over the quick cuts and shaky-cam nonsense you usually see today.

What I'm saying is, dude understands spectacle.

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd
Just got back from an 8 PM showing and man what a turd. Altogether I think there were about seven of us in the theater. It lacked everything that made the first one fun. Just lots of CGI and explosions. I couldn't tell you a single name of any of the new characters they were all so forgettable.

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
Counterpoint: I didn't think it was as strong as the first one (which was really, really good). The script isn't quite as focused and the soundtrack isn't the usual David Arnold Awesome - and really I could have gone my entire life without seeing Brent Spiner's ass and still died happy. However, I thought it was fun, a worthy follow up to the first. And it was Emmerich's best movie in years and years - far, FAR better than Godzilla, 2012 or and The Day After Tomorrow.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Just saw it. Thought it was a Enjoyable mess. Nowhere near as good as the first which had better acting story and disaster scenes. Nothing In this film sticks out like many of the scenes in the first.

In terms of Emmerich's disaster epics, I would rate this one as his second worst just above Godzilla. I enjoyed ID4, Day After and 2012 way more and thought they were better than this film in every way.

I would give it ⭐⭐️1/2 out of 5⭐

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I saw it last night in digital IMAX 3D. Good enough presentation, but it had that flat, not very dimensional look that I've come to expect from most Fox blockbusters.

As for the movie itself, I enjoyed it. It's nowhere as good as the first one (which I think is a classic of its time and of its genre), but it was still enjoyable to return to that world twenty years later and see what everyone was up to. It's the most I've ever liked Liam Hemsworth in anything, and it was great seeing Bill Pullman and Jeff Goldblum back in their classic roles.

The thing I liked most about the original ID4 was about halfway through, after everything gets blown up and they're flying around in Air Force One with no plan, and the CIA guy confesses that there actually is an Area 51, and aliens actually came here before - and then they go to there and that's the base for the rest of the action and drama in the movie. As a kid that was growing up and was then watching stuff like the X-Files, and who always liked alien stories, to have a big giant Hollywood movie take that stuff seriously and use it as a plot twist was completely and utterly thrilling. And the thing I could say that was maybe a little bit of a letdown on the new one was that there wasn't a similarly unexpected twist; everything went forward more or less as you'd expect.

The most thrilling parts for me was probably the opening third, as we get to see how humanity has rebuilt after the events of the first movie, and how (in a very Star Trek: First Contact fashion) the alien contact brought our species together. We also built a moon base, and I feel like it's been too long since we've seen a movie that spent any substantial amount of time in that location, so that was cool.

On the whole, it was fun. It wasn't great like the first one, but I still had a good time. It's also significantly shorter - the first one was nearly 2 1/2 hours, and excluding credits, this one came in about about 1 3/4 hours. This one didn't need the extra length so I am glad they didn't take it just for the sake of having a long movie. There were also hints to what a potential sequel could cover, but given how few people I saw in the theater for the Thursday opening, I'm not optimistic that we'll ever see it.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I have fond teenage memories of the first movie but I hadn't seen it since the laserdisc days and when I rewatched it this week, I was happy to find that it still held up pretty well. It's silly and all of the characters are one dimensional but it was only designed to be a big budget disaster movie and it succeeded at that. The sequel is, at best, just OK. It has some moments that work (most involving the original movie's characters) and alot of moments that don't work. In a world where so many movies are too long, I'll give this one credit for keeping things moving fast and not overstaying their welcome.

I was surprised that my theater had a decent amount of people in it. It wasn't Captain America or anything but it was a good number of people for 10:30 on a Friday morning.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Guys, without spoiling it, or maybe you can't avoid doing that, how did Dr. Okum (Brent Spiner) survive from the first movie? Maybe he didn't actually die and was simply knocked out after the aliens took over him.

Like many of you, I enjoyed the original very much. But I have doubts about a sequel. Not sure I'll see it until it's released on blu ray.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Guys, without spoiling it, or maybe you can't avoid doing that, how did Dr. Okum (Brent Spiner) survive from the first movie? Maybe he didn't actually die and was simply knocked out after the aliens took over him.
He was in a coma for 20 years. He comes out of it because the aliens are back or something.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg

Like many of you, I enjoyed the original very much. But I have doubts about a sequel. Not sure I'll see it until it's released on blu ray.

It's possible to explain without spoiling. :) I rewatched the original movie earlier in the week, and we see the alien attack him, and we see him fall to the ground, but no one actually says "he's dead". It seems that was probably the original intention to have him be dead, but it's not 100% explicit. When the new film begins, he's been in a coma since the attack.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I hated all Brent Spiners scenes for the most part. Useless character I thought and played for laughs that weren't there.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I hated all Brent Spiners scenes for the most part. Useless character I thought and played for laughs that weren't there.

I didn't feel that strongly, but I think the character definitely works better in smaller doses.

There was a moment where he had to say the word "sickbay" and I couldn't help but hear a little bit of Data in his voice as he said it.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Yeah. I caught that too and thought the same thing. He was pretty much comic relief without the comedy I thought.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Yeah. I caught that too and thought the same thing. He was pretty much comic relief without the comedy I thought.

I had kind of a dead crowd when I saw it. There were a bunch of lines that I thought were genuinely funny, and my fiance thought were funny, and no one else besides us laughed. So maybe they weren't that funny, but I think there's also something about how the room is behaving. When people are laughing communally, it's easy to join in without realizing it. When everyone's been quiet the whole movie, I think that unconsciously causes people sometimes to hold their laughter. Who knows.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks