What's new

INDEPENDENCE DAY RESURGENCE| Exclusive Images and Title Treatment (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
No, I was there. I have been at every single HTF event, in fact.

I remember seeing the movie in either the Fox Little Theater or the Zanuck theater across the road.

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
That particular Fox event was a somewhat extended one at the studio and we met in the "Nakatomi" building earlier in the day (before we moved to the theater for the screening ID4). I remember sharing photos with you and you hosted them on a special HTF web page to document the event (I think that web page is long gone).

Looking back at my photos, I think think the first time we met in person was a year later (May 5, 2001) during the Widescreen Review event in Temecula, CA. I think you guys came out for a studio event (probably at Fox) and an additional day was spent at Widescreen Review HQ. This is a photo I shot at that event:

i-VHxVfWV.jpg

Mark

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Yeah, that's me :) Much heavier back then. That was a great day in Temecula, courtesy of Gary Reber.

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
Yes, it was a great day!!

These two photos are from the ID4 event on May 26, 2000. The first is the group of folks that were able to get there early enough to attend the meeting we had in the Fox building (Nakatomi building) and then got a tour of Fox studio (including some wardrobe items):

i-HcSHDWF.jpg

And this is a photo of the people that attended the actual screening of ID4:

i-cWTSh42.jpg

Ron, I don't think you made this one but I'm happy to be corrected if I'm wrong.

Mark

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Something tells me that was probably a local meet. Most all those people I don't recognize.

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
Ronald Epstein said:
Something tells me that was probably a local meet. Most all those people I don't recognize.

My photo folder is labeled "HTF Fox Tour/ID4 Screening". It was DEFINITELY something that was arranged via HTF.

Mark

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Yes, but that was a local meet that HTF arranged through the studio

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
Ronald Epstein said:
Yes, but that was a local meet that HTF arranged through the studio

Got it! That sounds right.

Okay, sorry everyone for that detour. At least you got to see a nice photo of Ron in his "younger" days! :)

We return this channel to discussion of the sequel.

Mark

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I remember seeing ID4 when it first came out and really loving it. One of the first times I rode my bike as a kid to the movies on my own, because I wanted to see it opening day and not wait until the next weekend when my parents said they could take me.

I remember the trailers showing the White House blowing up and thinking, damn, they gave away the whole movie, and then being really surprised that that happened so early on in the movie. It was really cool watching everything that happened after that and not having any idea what was going to happen next. And X-Files was currently on the air and I loved all the government conspiracy and alien mystery running story lines there, so when in ID4 they had the whole subplot with Roswell and Area 51, and the government having already known about aliens but kept it secret even from the president, to me at that age, it was the coolest storyline ever.

This isn't a movie I revisit often but when I do, it really brings me back to being a kid and seeing something I had never seen before and totally loving that. I don't know if any sequel can recapture that magic and I don't know if me being 20 years older now will make it harder for me to go with things I just accepted as a kid, but I'm cautiously optimistic.

I just rewatched Stargate, another Emmerich/Devlin movie I had a similar reaction to as a kid, and that help up pretty well for me.

The other movie from that time I loved as much, Jurassic Park, still holds up for me but I didn't love Jurassic World in the same way. Had fun watching it but didn't feel any suspense and didn't really care about any of the characters. But I felt the same about all the other JP sequels so I shouldn't have been surprised. I like for the new Independence Day that at least the original filmmakers are back in their original roles instead of just being executive producers signing off on other people's work.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Ah! Independence Day. With a memorable moment being old what'shisface downing a 26'r of Whiskey, staggering around ranting, then barely 10 minutes later being stone cold sober and plotting to wage war on the aliens. Or something like that. The most I remember is the stupidity of a guy drinking most of a bottle of hard booze and going from completely drunkass to judge sober in 10 minutes or less. And then it went downhill from there.

Although, it was funny when the clowns welcoming our alien overlords got blasted. ID was mostly terrible, but it had its moments. I'm not expecting much more out of this sequel. I'm not sure what they could blow up in the States that would impress me already, since H'wood has blown up so many U.S landmarks. Maybe if the aliens fill in the Grand Canyon and put up condos.

Jonathan Perregaux

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jonathan Perregaux
It's the "fuck it" attention to detail that gets me. They couldn't even get the street geography of Manhattan correct when they blew up the Empire State Building.

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
Jonathan Perregaux said:
It's the "fuck it" attention to detail that gets me. They couldn't even get the street geography of Manhattan correct when they blew up the Empire State Building.

It's a popcorn flick. It's not real. It's imaginary. The true layout of Manhattan isn't important, nor does it matter one whit for the purpose of telling the IMAGINARY story. Science FICTION.

Mark

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
The trailer actually looks pretty decent.

You know, the original isn't necessarily a "great" movie and definitely has a bit of cheesiness, but it was a damn fun time at the movies.

Trailers can be misleading, but this looks to have a somewhat more serious tone.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks