What's new

INDEPENDENCE DAY RESURGENCE| Exclusive Images and Title Treatment (1 Viewer)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Thank's guys for the explanation of Spiner's return. I liked his scenes in the extended cut of the original. They were fun.

Agreed. I saw the extended cut for the first time this week (I didn't realize it had existed on the previous DVD, which I didn't own), and about half of the new scenes I enjoyed, and half didn't seem to really add anything. The subplot with one of Randy Quaid's kids needing medicine didn't really go anywhere. The additional material with Spiner and Goldblum examining the interior of the spaceship at Area 51 was great. I don't know which version I'll watch next time since the added scenes that I liked, I really liked, but the ones I didn't like I could be very content to never see again.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I hated all Brent Spiners scenes for the most part. Useless character I thought and played for laughs that weren't there.
I feel just the opposite. I enjoyed his scenes and found him humorous. I loved it when he said "Your starting to make us look bad."

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
...and we see him fall to the ground, but no one actually says "he's dead". It seems that was probably the original intention to have him be dead, but it's not 100% explicit.
Yeah, Adam Baldwin even checks for a pulse but he doesn't make any indication or say anything one way or the other. Spiner is clearly supposed to be dead but in movies like these, I can let it slide.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Yeah, Adam Baldwin even checks for a pulse but he doesn't make any indication or say anything one way or the other. Spiner is clearly supposed to be dead but in movies like these, I can let it slide.

Yeah, the joy of seeing Brent Spiner being goofy on the big screen outweighed any potential continuity issue for me too. The way they wrote it in made sense - everyone who had some direct alien mental contact has been screwed up in some way or another, and since Spiner had the most direct connection, it makes sense that he would be more messed up.

I was worried that there would be a twist where it turned out Spiner was not actually himself but was being controlled by the aliens. I was happy that didn't turn out to be the case.

Last edited:

KPmusmag

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kevin Parcher
I saw this today. Presentation was fine. I laughed at quite a bit of it, but no one else in the audience did. Maybe they didn't realize how tongue in cheek the thing was, I don't know.

I want to ask a question of those who have seen it, and I think the only way I can do so is in a spoiler box.

At the very end, when the big 3,000-mile-across spaceship left Earth, who was piloting that? Why did it leave? The Queen was dead, so who or what piloted it away and where was it going? Am I dense? I didn't get that. In the first movie, all the alien ships just stayed where they crashed and they crashed due to their mainframe being destroyed, not due to the physical death of an alien being. Thanks!

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
To answer the spoiler question:

Earlier in the movie, the white sphere thingy says that if the Queen dies, the ship will go to make contact with the other Queen ships in other parts of the Galaxy. I don't remember if they said the other Queens were controlling the ship remotely or if it's autopilot or if the crew is actively doing it. But the aliens were essentially returning home without the queen to lead them.

KPmusmag

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kevin Parcher
To answer the spoiler question:

Earlier in the movie, the white sphere thingy says that if the Queen dies, the ship will go to make contact with the other Queen ships in other parts of the Galaxy. I don't remember if they said the other Queens were controlling the ship remotely or if it's autopilot or if the crew is actively doing it. But the aliens were essentially returning home without the queen to lead them.

Thanks, Josh!

steve jaros

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
I saw this today in 2D. I am a fan of the 1996 film, remembering seeing it on opening day 20 years ago. Recognized that it was flawed but fun big dumb entertainment, great popcorn movie, IOW's a blast.

Resurgence? Not a blast. Just dumb, contrived, and the SFX aren't all that great either. On the human side of it, chemistry among alleged lovers? Zero. Chemistry among alleged rivals? Zero. Jeff Goldblum/Judd Hirsch comedy chemistry? Zero.

45/100 ... and 20 points of that is just because I'm always somewhat of a sucker for giant alien ships laying waste to our cities.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Guys, I had just got the 20th Anniversary release of ID4 on blu Ray, so I indulged in that last night. Dr. Okun sure did look dead. But I'm glad for Spiner he survived. The movie looked great on this new disc and is still fun. I guess ill see if I want to see the sequel when it's out on blu ray.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Guys, I had just got the 20th Anniversary release of ID4 on blu Ray, so I indulged in that last night. Dr. Okun sure did look dead. But I'm glad for Spiner he survived. The movie looked great on this new disc and is still fun. I guess ill see if I want to see the sequel when it's out on blu ray.
Reminder: you only have a month to cash that Fandango thing in.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Just got back. Wow...pretty damn awful. Not the worst film I've ever seen but just plain silly and kind of stupid. I mean I cared nothing for the characters; acting was horrid; the humor was ill timed.

Has Emmerich ever made a good film?

John Houston

Agent
Real Name
John
The first movie was beautiful to look at, had engaging characters, humour and really substantive and scary aliens. This one is a cynical Hollywood exercise in framing a movie to kiss the behinds of the Chinese Hollywood is salivating to get more money from. No integrity, no originality.

I guess it depends on how you approach ID. My wife and I saw it on the big screen with some dear friends, and after only a few minutes realised that we must switch our expectations from taut sci-fi to high comedy.

We had a ball - a joyous laugh-fest - much to the annoyance of fellow audience members seated close-by. In fact seeing how seriously the audience was taking it only heightened our mirth. Our pleasure at that screening remains a treasured memory, and my apologies to anyone reading this that was seated nearby in the Perth cinema that day in the late-nineties.
first

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks