What's new

In-n-Out best burger in LA (1 Viewer)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
TonyD said:
Shake Shack while also over priced was the best burger I ever had.
plenty of flavor without being over salted.
That's why my New Years Eve dinner in NYC was at the Central Park shake shack.

But I disagree about the concretes: it's so rich and creamy, it's priced fine. :)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
$5 is ok for an 8oz milk shake? I'm not sure it's even that big.

Oliver Ravencrest

Screenwriter
Real Name
Ron
Sam Posten said:
I wish their prices from the pic in that link were still the same. A Double Double is now $3.60 but still one of the best tasting burgers.

I don't order it Animal Style very often, don't like pickles and I like how I can taste the cheese on the regular version more. Tried the Animal Style fries once, man they were good but expensive. I usually just order a burger and drink. The last few times I've gone, they haven't mixed their cokes right. twice it tasted like diet, too much syrup, and the other time it was mostly carbonated water. The Dr, Pepper tasted good. There's an In N' Out about 2 miles from my place but I try not to go there too often, don't want to get burned out.

Dheiner

Gazoo
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Dhein
TonyD said:
I'm from Philly but now live in Orlando.
Shake Shack and Smashburger both opened in the last year.

Smashburger is good but overpriced. Also very salty.

I'm not a fan of literaly smashing a burger flat.

Squishes all the juices out. Just shape it like a burger and cook it.
Five guys is about as over rated as any place I've ever seen.
Burgers are good but not go out of the way to get one good.

Shake Shack while also over priced was the best burger I ever had.
plenty of flavor without being over salted.

ONly complaint I have is the shakes. $5 for a teeny tiny cup, milk shake is a disgrace.
Smash is about the same size for $4. decent price but still too small for a shake.
I'm a fat man from Wisconsin, and I told you once. Culvers.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Never heard of Culvers. (Googled it -- 17 locations in Florida; zero within three hours of here. :( )

There's a Shake Shack here, but reviews are not good. I get the feeling that their remote locations vary widely in quality.

We have Five Guys and Smashburger. I tried Smashburger once, and it was about the same as Five Guys, which is more convenient for me to get to.

There are some *spectacular* local burger joints near my office, though. Jonny Chonga's grinds the beef when you order. Tucker Duke's is great too. One day I'm going to try their "Tanner & The Unicorn," which has 3/4 lb. of beef and uses two grilled cheese sandwiches as the bun. :D

5f7Ry8Z72bObgS-640m.jpg

I may need help!

sidburyjr

Second Unit
Real Name
Dick Sidbury
IMHO the problem with almost all of these places is that they do not offer the one "ingredient" that I want -- a medium rare to medium cooked piece of meat. That's why local places, my grill and Red Robin are the preferred places for burgers.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
No Culvers in upstate NY that I know of, either.

That 'Tanner & the Unicorn" burger is ridiculous! Their on-line menu (which I showed to my co-workers...even though we are at opposite ends of the country!) shows that burger to be $32. it looks like it would feed a family of four. The Jonny Chonga's menu looks good, too! :biggrin:

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Mike Frezon said:
No Culvers in upstate NY that I know of, either.

That 'Tanner & the Unicorn" burger is ridiculous! Their on-line menu (which I showed to my co-workers...even though we are at opposite ends of the country!) shows that burger to be $32. it looks like it would feed a family of four. The Jonny Chonga's menu looks good, too! :biggrin:
but you might have Abbots Frozen Custard. Unless you want a burger. But who cares about burgers? We're talking frozen custard here! :D

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
TonyD said:
$5 is ok for an 8oz milk shake? I'm not sure it's even that big.
I haven't had their milkshake. But I'll pay $5 for their frozen custard blends "concretes") any time I can. Some of the best restaurant custard I've had, with some great combos.

That said, as someone noted, I've experienced that overall quality is affected by local management.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
If anyone's in Myrtle Beach, check out Joe's Hamburger Shack. They have very tasty burgers, and the atmosphere is great. The walls are covered with dollar bills decorated by the patrons. They do not take credit cards, so make sure you bring some cash.

davidmatychuk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Matychuk
It's a good thing we're spoiled for quality burger choice in Vancouver. No food, not even pizza, goes better with NHL playoff hockey than MASSIVE HAMBURGERS, and my dog, a beef-loving Canucks fan, seconds that.

IMG_0360.JPG

The game isn't till 7, Ozzy.

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
Joining this discussion somewhat late, but... My wife and I love taking road trips in our little roadster and that's allowed us to try hamburgers in virtually every chain in the nation. Blakes Lotaburger, Steak & Shake, Wendy's, Mickey D's, Jack in the Box, Carl's Jr (Hardees), Burger King, Dairy Queen, Sonic, Five Guys, White Castle, A&W, Whataburger, Checkers, Rallys, Big Boy, Smashburger, and, of course, In-N-Out.

Without a doubt, absolutely no questions asked, In-N-Out is our favorite burger joint. Everything about an In-N-Out burger tastes extremely fresh. It's like you have a personal chef making a single burger specifically for you, not like some chain-brewed concoction that a bunch of executives decided was the most profitable way to sell a burger. In-N-Out uses whole chunks of hand-leafed lettuce and fresh (never frozen) ground beef. Their buns are baked to a specific recipe and they are perfect every time (including the amount of browning the inside of the bun receives on the grill).

To bite into an In-N-Out Double Double with grilled onions is to bite into a slice of heaven! That wonderful melding of flavors has never been topped by ANY other burger joint we've tried.

For years, my wife and I used to drive from Rancho San Diego all the way up to Mission Viejo (a one-way distance of 80 miles) to get our "fix" of In-N-Out. Then, in 1990, In-N-Out opened its first location here in San Diego. To our delight, that very first San Diego location was just 5 miles from our house!! We were there on grand opening day and so was every local news station. It was a VERY big deal that In-N-Out had come to San Diego!

But, not only does In-N-Out make the best chain restaurant burger in the world, In-N-Out is a terrific place to work. They treat their employees with the utmost respect, paying well above the wages and benefits that other chain restaurants pay. That means In-N-Out attracts (and can keep) employees that are willing to work hard, employees that are friendlier and have a better attitude. You know those sourpuss or totally clueless types of employees you might run into at a McDonald's? You'll virtually never meet that type of employee in an In-N-Out! In-N-Out employees love working there:

http://www.indeed.com/cmp/In--n--out-Burger/reviews

And their work ethic shows it!

Now, this has all made my hungry for a Double Double with grilled onions. I'll see you guys later!

Mark

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks