What's new

I need recommendations for mushy tearjerkers (1 Viewer)

Yohan Pamudji

Supporting Actor
You want a real tear-jerker, not like all these wannabes?
Awakenings
Robert DeNiro and Robin Williams. This movie made me sob like a little baby, something which no other movie has managed to do to me. Warning: this is not a feel-good movie, but if you want the tears to flow like beer at a frat party, this is your ticket. Although it's very sad, it does have a hopeful, positive message.
Along the same lines:
Schindler's List
I might be way off topic here, because it seems like everybody else is suggesting romantic comedies. Hmm...

Brian McHale

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian McHale
My favorite "chick flick" has got to be Sense and Sensibility, with Emma Thompson, Hugh Grant, Alan Rickman and Kate Winslet, directed by Ang Lee. Intelligently written and quite funny at times.

David__Anthony

Auditioning
Not a romance but a tear jerker for me was MY DOG SKIP.I'd have to second AWAKINGS one of deniro's best perfomances in my opinion.

DeborahK

Supporting Actor
For the record, I think that Six Weeks does qualify as a love story, though the romance is quite an unusual one. I also second Truly, Madly, Deeply -- a smart, magical film and a much better movie than Ghost, IMHO. A recent fave of mine (and available on DVD) is Playing By Heart, which follows the romances of a middle aged couple (Sean Connery and Gina Rowlands) and their 3 daughters, played by Gillian Anderson, Angelina Jolie, and Madeleine Stowe. It also features, Ellen Burstyn, Dennis Quaid, Jon Stewart, Anthony Edwards, Jay Mohr, and Ryan Phillippe. It is just a good old fashioned movie, with a lot of tender and tear-up moments and a wonderful ending. Try it -- you'll like it! ;)
Deborah

Shayne Lebrun

Screenwriter
Edward Scissorhands...when I trip across it flipping through channels, even, I have to switch quickly or I start crying. A wonderful examination on the loss of innocence, and the keeping of it.

The Green Mile and Shawshank Redemption.

Grave of the Fireflies and Barefoot Gen, preferably with subtitles. Disney might have 'invented' the concept of animation as a film medium, but the Japanese took it far higher than Disney ever could.

The first five minutes of Tarzan. The rest is passable.

Atlantis: The Lost Empire. Beautiful ending, which is surprising for Disney fare; they really didn't flinch from the consequences of actions with that movie, and it turned out well.

Braveheart and Gladiator have some pretty emotional endings, but the movies themselves aren't exactly your stereotypical 'chick flicks.'

StephenA

Screenwriter
Beaches(not on DVD yet)

Where the Heart Is

Terms of Endearment

The Evening Star

Simon Birch

Awakenings

Cynthia

Stunt Coordinator
A recent fave of mine (and available on DVD) is Playing By Heart, which follows the romances of a middle aged couple (Sean Connery and Gina Rowlands) and their 3 daughters, played by Gillian Anderson, Angelina Jolie, and Madeleine Stowe. It also features, Ellen Burstyn, Dennis Quaid, Jon Stewart, Anthony Edwards, Jay Mohr, and Ryan Phillippe. It is just a good old fashioned movie, with a lot of tender and tear-up moments and a wonderful ending. Try it -- you'll like it!
I second this recommendation! Playing By Heart is an excellent romantic film.

Sean Conklin

Screenwriter
The Green Mile
I almost cried watching this one. Shut up, Dome, men don't cry.....
Oh yeah? Come to my house and watch Ever After with me and watch me bawl like an infant.;) And Ever After has a very happy ending, I think my tears are tears of joy and sadness, the sadness comes when I realize the movie is over!
Oh yeah, The Green Mile makes me sob too!
Thanks everyone, I'm keeping a list, and am going to check out all suggestions(except maybe the Psycho's), except for the ones I own or have seen. Thanks.

FOUR LETTERS :
RUDY
This is the ultimate film personifying the human spirit.
The end game when he takes the field makes me cry every single time. Especially when his father says"This is the most beautiful sight, these eyes have ever seen."
you dont have to like football to like this movie. I have it on laserdisc, I think it is on DVD now.
Oh, and what about "City Of Lights' with Charlie Chaplin.
nothing can compare to that. An absolutely lovely film.

Eric Huffstutler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Huffstutler
One of my all time favorites

The Color Purple

It is a story about lost love, the lack of love, and the hope for love. Throw away any color barriers one may have and enjoy the movie for what it is... a real emotional roller-coaster and tear jearker, especially at the end!

Sean Conklin

Screenwriter
The Color Purple is good too!

Lots of great suggestions! Sounds like there are many films out there that could give me a month long bawlfest!

Eric Huffstutler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Huffstutler
A couple more suggestions here:
What Dreams May Come - True Love and the sacrifice for it. (this one is a romance jearker)
Glory- love of country and fellow human kind.
Lady and the Tramp - Silly? Maybe... but emotional.
Armageddon - the ultimate sacrifice -life for life.
The Green Mile - Another emotional roller-coaster.
There are many kinds of love, not all have to be mushy love stories. Like with my examples above, there is double or hidden meanings to what a character portrays or lives out in the movie. The gift of sacrafice can turn on the emotional fawcet just as easily as the "traditional" romance.
There are others I would have suggested but the readers beat me to them :)

rob kilbride

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rob Kilbride
Two great emotional movies from 1946 : It's A Wonderful Life and The Best Years of Our Lives. Gladiator, quite a tearjerker for an action movie. Rocky such a bittersweet ending. Lots of Disney animated flicks have great tearjerking moments : Snow White, Pinocchio, Dumbo, Bambi, Tarzan, Fox and the Hound. Forrest Gump, Braveheart, Titanic, and the Patriot, AI all were very emotional to me. Not tearjerkers the same way as the first two but all are very emotional movies.

BrianShort

Supporting Actor
Thought I'd throw a new movie in here... it's not a tearjerker, but there are a couple very emotion packed scenes in The Lord of the Rings.

Steve_Ch

Supporting Actor
>>Oh, and what about "City Of Lights' with Charlie Chaplin.

nothing can compare to that. An absolutely lovely film.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks